Probiotics

You really need to get kefir seeds that someone has grown. I have had those and the kefir starter I bought in a health food store and the seeds from a friend worked MUCH better. I put the seeds (they look like a clump about the size of a quarter but thicker) in 4 cups of milk. I use raw milk but store bought works also. Cover the top with muslin, cheesecloth or something like that so that nothing lands in the container. The amount of time is dependent on the temperature of the room you have it in at the time, so anywhere from 12 to 24 hours, sometimes more. I let mine get the thickness and texture of greek yogurt. Your container will have the yogurt like consistency on top and a thin milky liquid on bottom. The thin stuff is the whey, so if you don't get along with whey, toss it. The thick part doesn't seem to have much lactose, if any. Strain with a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. SAVE THE SEEDS for your next batch. The milky liquid usually gets tossed but I use it in bread making. The yogurt-like stuff is tangy and I usually add savory things and eat it with a spoon. I also don't season it and add it to smoothies or protein shakes. It tastes better with fruit, I think. Chocolate and kefir tastes yucky to me, probably due to a certain amount of a sour cream taste. IDK, I just like it better with fruit. I eat about a cup a day. Your seeds will multiply after being used a few times and you will have to give away or toss some. I usually have one batch strained and done in fridge and one batch working. If things happen and you can't make any, put your seeds in a small container with a little milk, they will keep in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks. Actually the whole process can be a pain in the ass but it works so well for me that I won't quit. :)

@brooklyngirl , does that answer everything you wanted to know?

You really need to get kefir seeds that someone has grown. I have had those and the kefir starter I bought in a health food store and the seeds from a friend worked MUCH better. I put the seeds (they look like a clump about the size of a quarter but thicker) in 4 cups of milk. I use raw milk but store bought works also. Cover the top with muslin, cheesecloth or something like that so that nothing lands in the container. The amount of time is dependent on the temperature of the room you have it in at the time, so anywhere from 12 to 24 hours, sometimes more. I let mine get the thickness and texture of greek yogurt. Your container will have the yogurt like consistency on top and a thin milky liquid on bottom. The thin stuff is the whey, so if you don't get along with whey, toss it. The thick part doesn't seem to have much lactose, if any. Strain with a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. SAVE THE SEEDS for your next batch. The milky liquid usually gets tossed but I use it in bread making. The yogurt-like stuff is tangy and I usually add savory things and eat it with a spoon. I also don't season it and add it to smoothies or protein shakes. It tastes better with fruit, I think. Chocolate and kefir tastes yucky to me, probably due to a certain amount of a sour cream taste. IDK, I just like it better with fruit. I eat about a cup a day. Your seeds will multiply after being used a few times and you will have to give away or toss some. I usually have one batch strained and done in fridge and one batch working. If things happen and you can't make any, put your seeds in a small container with a little milk, they will keep in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks. Actually the whole process can be a pain in the ass but it works so well for me that I won't quit. :)

@brooklyngirl , does that answer everything you wanted to know?
Yes! How cool is that? So how much of an inferior end result am I going to get if I use store bought seeds? And what exactly ARE the seeds? Just clumps of cultures? I'm fascinated!

The main problem with the store bought culture is it doesn't seem to grow any seeds to re-use and I cannot get the end result to have the yogurt texture. You will have to continue to purchase the culture. It ends up more like a thick milk. IDK how much lactose is in the end product. It does seem to work on the gas and the smell and that is the important part. Also, I believe you can use those to make either a water, fizzy kefir.(I have not made any.) I belong to a local FB selling site and when I put out a plea for seeds, I had offers, all free. You might try something like that to get some. Oh, and yes, the seeds are clumps of cultures.

The main problem with the store bought culture is it doesn't seem to grow any seeds to re-use and I cannot get the end result to have the yogurt texture. You will have to continue to purchase the culture. It ends up more like a thick milk. IDK how much lactose is in the end product. It does seem to work on the gas and the smell and that is the important part. Also, I believe you can use those to make either a water, fizzy kefir.(I have not made any.) I belong to a local FB selling site and when I put out a plea for seeds, I had offers, all free. You might try something like that to get some. Oh, and yes, the seeds are clumps of cultures.
Cool, thanks :)

I notice a huge improvement in gas reduction, stool smell and consistency (firmness) when I am using them. I also use Costco's Digestive Advantage.

Primal Defense Ultra before breakfast 7 days/week.
Primal Defense Ultra before dinner M,W,F.

I needed a probiotic. Was having light pain in upper right abdomen for years. After extensive tests we decided to try this as the final thought was a bacterial overgrowth. I originally took more than my current dose, but settled down to this as the years went by. No pain since.

@Larra I wanted to bump this thread and ask you (and everyone) how do you know which are the quality brands and anything else that can help with the choices out there. in particular with relation to C diff which is SUPER scary.

I use Primal Defense Ultra (which has Saccharomyces boulardii, a strain that is thought to help keep C. difficile in check), and Culturelle (one in the AM the other at night).

I use this one:
81LzmMMC2%2BL._SY550_.jpg
and this one:

81pkyMr1%2BKL._SY550_.jpg
The NOW brand must be refrigerated but, I don't have much trouble remembering I just take it when I take my morning vites and protein shake.

I was planning on going to walmart this morning, wonder if they have any that are refrigerated....or if they did, do I trust that they have been since they got them from the manufacturer....I think I want something, anyway, to get started.

I was planning on going to walmart this morning, wonder if they have any that are refrigerated....or if they did, do I trust that they have been since they got them from the manufacturer....I think I want something, anyway, to get started.
They do, just ask the pharmacy people as they are behind the counter. It was this stuff http://www.florajen.com/products-florajen3.shtml

NOTE: I tried them and didn't like the way they made me feel so I don't do a probiotic. I don't think my system needs a probiotic, so I am not sure it was the brand.

My wife has been taking this that I get from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/PRO-15-Recomm...435497970&sr=1-1&keywords=hyperbiotics+pro-15

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back