Probiotics

Razbry

I thought we should have a thread dedicated to probiotics. I've seen the term quality probiotic used, I'd like to know what that means. I'd like to know what people are taking, why, and how it's helped them. Help us all and post your experience.

I would also like to know more - and are "prebiotics" just things you eat that then feed the probiotics?

Probiotics - there are zillions of them, varying in quality and quantity. My take on them so far is to take as much as is reasonable, the best quality you can. I suspect that the ones that need to be refrigerated, e.g., VSL#3, are better than the dried ones, but the inconvenience of them is a non-starter for me. Also, make sure you are taking some S. boulardii, because they help keep C. diff in check.

Prebiotics - stuff that feeds the "right" bugs. I'm not sure I believe they help, especially since some of them can cause gas (at least some of them are complex starches that we can't digest).

I have found that taking two different brands of probiotics with varying compositions seems to be working at the moment - I take a Primal Defense Ultra in the AM, and a Culturelle with my evening pills. But in my experience, you need to change it up every once in a while anyway - most things work for a while and then they don't (same with my PPI).

My take on probiotics, take the best you can REMEMBER to take.

For me and dh, that means a gummy one that does NOT have to be left in the fridge. If it's in the fridge, we forget. ONLY gummy we take so the amount of carbs in one a day is not an issue.

I've used the refrigerated ones in the past, and I, too, would forget 90% of the time. I forget the name if the one I use now, but it's an affordable one from Costco. A cheapie generic one I bought at Walgreens, a few years ago, gave me horrid gas pains and bloating. I also make kimchi, because I love it, but also for the probiotics. Although now that I think about it, when you make yogurt, you have to add cultures to it. I know my kimchi ferments, the jars pop when I open them and it has a carbonated feel in my mouth, but I dunno if I'm actually getting good bugs in there?

I've used the refrigerated ones in the past, and I, too, would forget 90% of the time. I forget the name if the one I use now, but it's an affordable one from Costco. A cheapie generic one I bought at Walgreens, a few years ago, gave me horrid gas pains and bloating. I also make kimchi, because I love it, but also for the probiotics. Although now that I think about it, when you make yogurt, you have to add cultures to it. I know my kimchi ferments, the jars pop when I open them and it has a carbonated feel in my mouth, but I dunno if I'm actually getting good bugs in there?
We get ours at Costco...Digestive Advantage it has 2 grams of carbs (sugar) for one.

I don't take them so far and I really haven't had any recent problems or reason to take them. Since I found out the protein shakes where causing my problems with diarrhea and horrible smelling gas I haven't had to take Flagyl either. It has been close to a year I think. I am sure things could change but for now I don't need the added expense.

I started taking Florajen 3 (I think)...the refrigerated one. It made my poop too solid and I felt bloaty/gassy so I stopped. I don't really think I need one as I don't have problem going, and only really get diarrhea if I eat too much fat and don't take my creon (pretty much don't absorb much of it so it is just straight through).

I make a milk kefir and since I have been using that, I have barely any gas and no worse smell than anyone else.

Latest posts

Back