Probiotics

thanks for the info: I am waiting until the pharmacy opens to make my shopping run just for this!

NOTE: I tried them and didn't like the way they made me feel so I don't do a probiotic. I don't think my system needs a probiotic, so I am not sure it was the brand.

now, this makes me wonder. I feel that - based on nothing whatsoever- that if you took a probiotic you didn't need, nothing bad would happen.

so, what did happen?

I can't answer for anyone else but, when I am starting a new probiotic it can sometimes cause a little extra gas and bloat for a little while. Once I am used to it, everything settles down.

I used a cheap generic one from Walgreens a few years back and had cramping bloating gas pains. I eventually stopped taking it, but have never had that reaction to any other ones.

I haven't had a DS (yet) but really believe in probiotics and have used them for years. I honestly would buy the high quality refrigerated brands (and I wouldn't get them from Wal-Mart, but that's just me). The now brand pictured above can be bought at health food/vitamin shops. I get mine at Whole Foods. It is well, well, well worth it to keep your gut healthy, period. Especially if you take a PPI everyday, since it reduces acid, it also slows things down in the gut. I have also taken digestive enzymes when I was having a bout of intestinal issues that would not go away. And they worked like a charm.

I could understand with the DS that it might cause distress, or cheaply made items would cause side effects but I would just buy a good, refrigerated brand and take them for a few weeks and see what happens.

I'm also fascinated by kefir and have bought the store bought kind. I have also looked into making my own yogurt, as I have friends that do that. I'm just imagining how much better it is for you. Lots to ponder and think about. Good stuff!!!

I honestly would buy the high quality refrigerated brands
I prefer the refrigerated brands BUT remembering they are in there is a NO-GO around here. We wasted more than we took that way. SO I take one that doesn't require refrigeration. But that is just me...

but the refrigerated stuff is so expensive!
I do take a PPI, double dose in fact, since I drink so much coffee. :oops:

maybe I could get the expensive stuff and just take it on & off....those "good bugs' are supposed to live in your gut, right? why do I need new ones every day? won't they reproduce?

serious question!

"won't they reproduce?"
Well, yes, but not that well, and with our altered guts and altered way of eating, the bad bugs keep winning the reproductive battle.

my intestines aren't altered....what about the eating, not enough fiber? and - you know, the more I think about it the more I don't get it.

it seems to me like my gut's good bugs should not need so much help - at least not every damn day.

what if I were to eat the way I think I should: every day it would be garlic and onions and mushrooms and variety and brightly colored vegetables. sure, I could do that.

what then?

Taking a PPI for starters. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that at least part of the reason you got fat was your entrenched bugs being ones that helped cause the problem. And they keep winning the battle of the bugs.

it's all the info lately on gut bacteria's link to mood that really makes me want to work on this. but, damn, the expense.

and the PPI - curse this coffee monkey on my back!

Latest posts

Back