3 more days! Anything you wish you had done before having the DS?

Think about how you will sleep when you get home! Most suggest a recliner, which is a good idea. I didn't have access to that so it was all about finding pillow configurations in the hotel bed which kept me comfortable. Since I was laparoscopic, on my side with a pillow under my gut worked best, since I'm a side/stomach sleeper.

I didn't have bathroom issues after surgery. Everyone is different, though, if you have mobility issues pre-op, it might be something to consider. In fact, for me, if I behave myself dietarily, my bowels are actually better now than they were pre-op, as I had raging bathroom issues when I was MO. It was never dignosed as IBS, but that's the best name I can give it.

@SmartNurse I'm a Rabkin patient too, I stayed at a small hotel right down the street from St. Mary's near Golden Gate Park. You're not screwed, but if you're traveling, I'd try my hardest to get someone to come with you. Having my mom and husband with me in SFO for those ten days was invaluable!
Yeah, I wish I had someone, but I can't expect anyone to take time off, and my mom is helping me with the $ since I'm self pay, so I don't want to push my luck. No guidance or boyfriend and my other friends have their own kids and responsibilities. So.... It's me.

Yeah, I wish I had someone, but I can't expect anyone to take time off, and my mom is helping me with the $ since I'm self pay, so I don't want to push my luck. No guidance or boyfriend and my other friends have their own kids and responsibilities. So.... It's me.
And I'm having open surgery, yikes, and I live in Connecticut. So I'll be in a hotel, then a six hour flight home, just hope my pain management is sufficient.

You need to speak to the surgery coordinator at PacLap and ask them about arranging for someone to come to the hotel 2-4 times a day to check on you and bring you food. They used to work with someone who ran a "recovery house" - a person who took patients in post-op for a time, and took care of them. She was not a nurse, but rather someone with a room or two in her house, and she just helped them out (for a fee, of course).

You need to speak to the surgery coordinator at PacLap and ask them about arranging for someone to come to the hotel 2-4 times a day to check on you and bring you food. They used to work with someone who ran a "recovery house" - a person who took patients in post-op for a time, and took care of them. She was not a nurse, but rather someone with a room or two in her house, and she just helped them out (for a fee, of course).
Yes, of course I thought of that and did that, but they were like, no, we don't have anyone like that to hire to check up on you, I wss extremely surprised and disappointed, I'm like, I feel like I'm going to a third world country for surgery, although from what I hear, you get the all inclusive plan in most other countries. I'm very surprised, even though they state they have people coming alone from all over the U.S.. This is open too, not laparoscopic. I'll just have to pre pare as much add I can before, and hope the hotel can help out, people are usually always avail to run errands for a price. But, they said no, there is no-one to look in on me. As a nurse, I must admit this scares me and is a bit upsetting. After all, I am paying through the nose.

The "recovery house" lady hasn't been in business for years now, unfortunately. But on the positive side, there are a whole bunch of us in the Bay Area so if you really need someone come here and post and I bet someone will come through for you.

Didn't I see someone post recently who had traveled to California for her DS, and rented a little ground floor apartment? Seems like two different patients rented the same place back-to-back, but I can't remember if they were in SF or if they had gone to Dr. K. But if I remember right, the owner lived onsite and was kind and accommodating, and it was cheaper to rent that place than a hotel room. @SmartNurse, have you checked whether there is anything like that available?

I'm very sorry, if I lived in the bay Area I'd definitely come check on you every day. :(

Oh crap - I didn't realize she was not longer doing that. I'm not close enough to help either - but I would hope they would have some better suggestion than that.

Didn't I see someone post recently who had traveled to California for her DS, and rented a little ground floor apartment? Seems like two different patients rented the same place back-to-back, but I can't remember if they were in SF or if they had gone to Dr. K. But if I remember right, the owner lived onsite and was kind and accommodating, and it was cheaper to rent that place than a hotel room. @SmartNurse, have you checked whether there is anything like that available?
Yeah, well unfortunately hotels are extremely expensive this time of year, and a hostel is out of the Question. I tried airbnb, but the occupancy taxes are outrageous. I'll have to just do the best I can. But thank you for all your encouragement.

Yeah, well unfortunately hotels are extremely expensive this time of year, and a hostel is out of the Question. I tried airbnb, but the occupancy taxes are outrageous. I'll have to just do the best I can. But thank you for all your encouragement.
Which hospital and maybe instead of going thru his office, go thru the hospital. Many have arrangements with local hotels for a reduced medical rate.

Latest posts

Back