New DSer Questions- Sorry so long!

Can someone just reassure me I will eventually get to "normal". Tuesday will be 4 weeks. I can't seem to get in my 64oz of liquids. I'm not getting in enough protein. I go back to work tomorrow and am worried how I will do since now when I don't feel well I can just go lay down till I feel better. I can't imagine how people would go back to work in 2 weeks. I feel like I am behind the recovery curve, but I'm not sure. Overall I feel like I'm doing okay, but no where near normal. Feeling frustrated.

For eleven weeks, I was sure I had made a horrible mistake and would soon die. That was 15.5 years ago.

Last edited:
Fir eleven weeks, I was sure I had made a horrible mistake and would soon die. That was 15.5 years ago.
Well surprisingly that makes me feel 100% better. I have only broken down 1 time in tears wondering if I had made a huge mistake and that was weeks ago. I think overall I'm thinking this was a good decision. I think my problem is I like things black and white defined and ymmv frustrates me. I think if I know where the finish line is I can adjust, but I feel like I'm in a marathon and nobody bothered to put out the mile markers so if I'm at mile 20 I'm good, but if I'm only at mile 2 I don't know if I can hang.

Well surprisingly that makes me feel 100% better. I have only broken down 1 time in tears wondering if I had made a huge mistake and that was weeks ago. I think overall I'm thinking this was a good decision. I think my problem is I like things black and white defined and ymmv frustrates me. I think if I know where the finish line is I can adjust, but I feel like I'm in a marathon and nobody bothered to put out the mile markers so if I'm at mile 20 I'm good, but if I'm only at mile 2 I don't know if I can hang.
Unfortunately this is a very ymmv type surgery.

There a few mile markers out there. Mostly in terms of percentages of weight loss at this point. Notice I said percentages. I’ll see if I can find the info,
Weight loss is based upon Percentages. So... averages:

25% by 3 months.
50% by 6 months
75 % by 1 year
80-100% by 18-24 months.

Lightweights look like we loss slowly but we don’t.

There a few mile markers out there. Mostly in terms of percentages of weight loss at this point. Notice I said percentages. I’ll see if I can find the info,

25% by 3 months.
50% by 6 months
75 % by 1 year
80-100% by 18-24 months.

Thank you for these milestones.
I have been more about health in this whole journey so being down 60 lbs and no longer pre diabetic, and lower blood pressure is all the affirmation I need.
I just want to feel better. I'm sure it is 50% healing and 50% learning how my new system works.
I always appreciate all of your input.

My memory has faded a bit, because its been many years, but I recall being miserable the first couple of months, but feeling a tiny bit better every day nonetheless, and then I reached a giddy, wow-this-was-such-a-good-decision stage at around six months out.

Last edited:
So a quick update. I hit the 8 week mark last Tuesday and I am finally getting a routine where I feel sort of normal. The probiotics helped a lot. I can't believe I didn't know about them. (BTW, if anyone uses Align probiotics they are on sale at Costco, $11 off per box. A box is 84 pills...... I bought 5 boxes, the limit so I'm good for a year.) I am going to go see my PCM the middle of June and see if he will run my blood work so I already have the results when I go for my 3 month surgery apt the end of June. I am very curious to find out my A1C and if I am getting enough vitamins.
I have gotten into all my "for when I lose weight" stashes of clothes and have gotten rid of 9 bags of nope never going back there clothes. I had boxes of old smaller clothes everywhere. Some still don't fit, but will eventually. Cleaning out my closet today and trying to come up with system for comfy, fits, fits tight still, and doesn't fit yet but will. I'm getting a work out just trying on clothes.
My husband is considering getting surgery too. This makes me very happy and very concerned. His health is not the best so it could extend his life, but his blood pressure is really high even with several different meds so I worry about him doing the surgery. He has that bad overweight men get where he carries all the extra weight in his belly. We spilt meals if we go out and he is trying to eat less, but obesity is a disease and it is hard to fight without good tools.
I hope everyone is having a great weekend and I am so thankful to have had all your support and advice through this process.

25% by 3 months.
50% by 6 months
75 % by 1 year
80-100% by 18-24 months.

So I guess I am right on track. I am including pre surgery weight loss. I started in December and have lost 74 lbs of goal of 165 which I think puts me at 44.8% of ewl. The target is 50% by 6 months, since I am including weight I lost pre surgery I'll take it.

My husband is considering getting surgery too. This makes me very happy and very concerned. His health is not the best so it could extend his life, but his blood pressure is really high even with several different meds so I worry about him doing the surgery. He has that bad overweight men get where he carries all the extra weight in his belly. We spilt meals if we go out and he is trying to eat less, but obesity is a disease and it is hard to fight without good tools.
I hope everyone is having a great weekend and I am so thankful to have had all your support and advice through this process.
My husband is also a DSer, he’ll be 11 years out in Dec, me in Jan.

I consider my DS a fix not a tool. It enabled me to control my portions. I still eat but no where near the amount as before. I was already eating low carb because of my insulin, but I could still eat a hell of a lot. Dh calls me a cheap date. We either share an entry or plan on several days worth of leftovers.

if he does get the DS, a few handy rules
  1. don’t be the food police
  2. don’t ask him how much he’s lost but if he shares, that’s fine
  3. the hormonal imbalance that happens after surgery affects him as well. He’ll feel and act like he’s got a severe case of PMS. Don’t take anything he yells at you, personally.

I hope your DH will seriously consider the DS. Granted, there are risks of surgery. We all knew that going in, and of course having high blood pressure poses a risk (though the anesthesiologist should be able to control his BP with meds during surgery, and he can be given meds IV afterwards if needed). Sometimes we only think about the risks of surgery and set aside, somewhat, the risks of NOT having the surgery because they are less immediate. But those risks as just as real, and only accumulate as time goes on, so the longer he lives with poorly controlled BP the more damage to his heart, kidneys, etc. It's just easier not to dwell on that compared to thinking about the risks of surgery, let's say, next week. But it has to be his decision. I hope he'll see how well you are doing, how the DS makes such a huge difference in your ability to lose weight, and decides it's his turn.

The probiotics helped a lot. I can't believe I didn't know about them.

I recently took a class in eating to feed my microbiome. it was life changing. we are so used to thinking of our food as the parts we need like protein, and the parts that ONLY serve to help us have a BM "fiber" but that "fiber" is food our microbiome evolved WITH us to live on. the microbiome's only source of food is what WE eat but can't digest.

IOW we need to be ingesting as much "fiber" (plant food we can't live on, but only pass on to the microbiome) as we can! if we want to be healthy.

Sometimes we only think about the risks of surgery and set aside, somewhat, the risks of NOT having the surgery because they are less immediate.

so true!

I have gotten into all my "for when I lose weight" stashes of clothes and have gotten rid of 9 bags of nope never going back there clothes. I had boxes of old smaller clothes everywhere. Some still don't fit, but will eventually. Cleaning out my closet today and trying to come up with system for comfy, fits, fits tight still, and doesn't fit yet but will. I'm getting a work out just trying on clothes.

IMO, one of the best and healthiest things I ever did was get rid of any clothes that didn’t fit me. It really helped my brain adjust to being smaller. I didn’t have a ton of smaller sized clothes so as I lost weight I purged the bigger clothes. I didn’t keep them “just in case” — emotionally I was all in on my weight loss. As I shrank, so did my closest. I owned very few clothes until I reached my stopping spot. I bought all new clothes and have stayed with that size. It’s only in this past year where I’ve added some larger sizes (trying lose some regain). But I honestly feel that wearing clothes that fit has been key to keeping my weight down. I didn’t have upsized clothes to step into when my weight went up, I couldn’t hide in the clothes.

Hello everyone. I'm still here. I check in every now and then, but don't post too often.
Update #1: DH has decided to get surgery. Yeah! His BP is high on 3 different meds and has T2 diabetes. Not as high of a BMI as I had, but still will benefit from WLS especially since he carries all his extra pounds in his stomach.
#2: I still haven't researched skin surgery, but I really need it for my arms. Afraid I might fly away. Lol. I will get to it. I have just been living my life in my new body.
#3: Really a question not an update. Does anyone else ever feel heavy like they have put weight on only to get on the scale and find out they have lost? I have felt....... big lately, but when I weighed I had lost 1.8 lbs. I'm 5'3' and at 137. Have been back and forth between 137 and 143 forever now. I'm 1 month shy of 2 years since surgery. Doesn't seem that long.

Hope everyone is doing well. Thank you as always for the wisdom and support.

Latest posts

Back