3 more days! Anything you wish you had done before having the DS?

You really won't be eating much your 1st 2 weeks post op anyways to worry much about "accidents". Gotta have volume in to get volume out after all. It's going to be ALL about the fluids those 1st 2 weeks....so I recommend you have LOTS of DIFFERENT beverages in the house. I'm talking chocolate milk, juices, flavored waters, lemonades....get a large assortment because whatever you think you like now-is possibly going to change post op. Lemonade-suggested to me by a poster here-saved my literal life! I was sooo sick and just couldn't drink or eat to save my own life. But then I tried Simply Lemonade (fresh squeezed lemonade from regular supermarket) and it tasted great to me. I drank it and it saved me. Your salvation could be cranberry juice cocktail....green tea, etc. And don't even think about avoiding sugars, etc...if you find something you can get and keep down your gullet-it's all good! Keep your cell phone charged at all times to call for help if need to. So excited for you! Victory is just around the corner, and I applaud you for having the guts to reach out and grab it. So many are frozen with indecision but NOT YOU. Guts I say!!
:congrats:
I'm gonna disagree and say not to go the sugary drink or chocolate milk route unless you CAN'T stay hydrated and you're desperate. Bad habit, plus the sugar could possibly make your insides more angry. Will needed to and it worked for him, and hydration can be hard, I never imagined it could be so difficult to drink 64 oz of anything, but I wouldn't start out with that being the main plan. Just my 2 cents :)

Yikes, I'm going alone to California, coming home to a cat. No-one to help me out. Am i screwed?
See Larra's post. It can be done. Is anybody traveling with you to SF for the surgery snd I assume you will be in a hotel for a week or two after leaving the hospital, before Rabkin will release you to fly back? You are going to need somebody to get foods and drinks for you for your stay. Hopefully somebody is coming with you.

If you haven't discussed with Rabkin officethe local stay after 3 or so day hospital stay, you must do so. Being in a hotel by yourself after this surgery would be very difficult.

Yikes, I'm going alone to California, coming home to a cat. No-one to help me out. Am i screwed?
Find someone to come in once a day to handle the cat litter box and help with anything you might need.

Also if your cat is like one of ours, you may have to learn to sleep with a pillow ON your stomach for protection. I had one that loved to lay on mine.

My husband and I were 5 weeks apart on our DS's. The first week of mine and his 6TH week of healing, we had our cat sitter come in daily to deal with the cat litter pans. Once he was past the 6th week mark, he took over.

Sweetheart, it all depends on how well you do. I was literally out at the store shopping for groceries and doing house chores FOUR days after my surgery. I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing anything that stupid. I got VERY lucky and was on the other end of the spectrum. The worst pain I ever had just felt like I had done a bunch of sit-ups.

Even if you fall somewhere in the middle, doing routine stuff, you should be just fine.

I will be thinking of you and sending you my best wishes for success.

Find someone to come in once a day to handle the cat litter box and help with anything you might need.

Also if your cat is like one of ours, you may have to learn to sleep with a pillow ON your stomach for protection. I had one that loved to lay on mine.

My husband and I were 5 weeks apart on our DS's. The first week of mine and his 6TH week of healing, we had our cat sitter come in daily to deal with the cat litter pans. Once he was past the 6th week mark, he took over.
In rehab. Just realized I have had no pain meds since Friday afternoon. The fear has been anxiety and being alone. Wish I were home

In rehab. Just realized I have had no pain meds since Friday afternoon. The fear has been anxiety and being alone. Wish I were home
You will get home...and while you may not have people there with you, YOU ARE NOT alone...you have lots of people pulling for you.

See Larra's post. It can be done. Is anybody traveling with you to SF for the surgery snd I assume you will be in a hotel for a week or two after leaving the hospital, before Rabkin will release you to fly back? You are going to need somebody to get foods and drinks for you for your stay. Hopefully somebody is coming with you.

If you haven't discussed with Rabkin officethe local stay after 3 or so day hospital stay, you must do so. Being in a hotel by yourself after this surgery would be very difficult.
No, I'll be alone. I spoke at length with his office and they say they have many patients that do this. I'm a trooper, I just want to have everything I will need in place. But who can take off three weeks and travel across country with me. And since I'm self pay, every dollar is precious, can't afford to hire some one to come with me. Already paying almost $5,000 for a place to stay, not to mention airfare.

You are in great hands with Rabkin. Since you are self pay, stay the maximum time in the hospital. Also, have all of your postop meds filled and protein powder to make drinks. Are you staying in a hotel or renting an apartment via VRBO or something? When you take a cab there, pay the driver to bring your stuff inside. You will be wiped out, but will be ok. Also, if you want to get my personal contact info, I live south of SF and am happy to be a lifeline for you if you get scared or in a bind. Send me a PM.

Think about how you will sleep when you get home! Most suggest a recliner, which is a good idea. I didn't have access to that so it was all about finding pillow configurations in the hotel bed which kept me comfortable. Since I was laparoscopic, on my side with a pillow under my gut worked best, since I'm a side/stomach sleeper.

I didn't have bathroom issues after surgery. Everyone is different, though, if you have mobility issues pre-op, it might be something to consider. In fact, for me, if I behave myself dietarily, my bowels are actually better now than they were pre-op, as I had raging bathroom issues when I was MO. It was never dignosed as IBS, but that's the best name I can give it.

@SmartNurse I'm a Rabkin patient too, I stayed at a small hotel right down the street from St. Mary's near Golden Gate Park. You're not screwed, but if you're traveling, I'd try my hardest to get someone to come with you. Having my mom and husband with me in SFO for those ten days was invaluable!

I was home alone every day after surgery. I was fine. Makes you learn how to do it yourself, forces you to get up and move around. Make sure you have a wooden spoon and wet wipes. That is the hardest part.

I am sorry...I don't understand. What is the wooden spoon for? Did you use it with the wet wipes? I am so confused.
Some people have issues reaching to wipe. A wooden spoon extends that reach. And wet wipes are a Godsend regardless of how big OR little you are. They aren't as harsh as toilet paper.

Latest posts

Back