3 more days! Anything you wish you had done before having the DS?

After intestinal surgery, you can expect your insides to act wonky. If they don't, that's great, but be prepared in case they do. My "I have to go" signal changed, plus I leaned the hard way that I don't have the luxury of holding it for hours any longer. Once healed, you likely won't have that problem unless you make bad food choices. The couple of oily gas situations I've had have all been because I ate a bunch of carbs. That's not the norm by any means.

I was by myself at home post-op. It wasn't easy, but obviously I survived. I did have a friend who came over every day to walk the dog until I could do it myself, and she graciously helped with anything that needing lifting. Another friend took me to the grocery store at about 2 weeks post-op. Other than that, I fended for myself. And still have not needed diapers, and I'm older than you. I do think baby wipes are a good idea, and don't ignore even the slightest indication that a trip to the bathroom is indicated.
You are a trooper. I was so weak and felt crappy early on the laundry and other things would not have been done.

After intestinal surgery, you can expect your insides to act wonky. If they don't, that's great, but be prepared in case they do. My "I have to go" signal changed, plus I leaned the hard way that I don't have the luxury of holding it for hours any longer. Once healed, you likely won't have that problem unless you make bad food choices. The couple of oily gas situations I've had have all been because I ate a bunch of carbs. That's not the norm by any means.
that happened with lots of fatty foods a couple times with me....carbs don't really have that impact on me.

that happened with lots of fatty foods a couple times with me....carbs don't really have that impact on me.
I'm not quite sure what exactly happens in that situation. I've been meaning to make a separate post about it, but I suspect there's something related to the ratio of carbs and fat. My #2s are usually what many DSers experience, soft serve consistency, and float on top of the water. When I eat a lot of carbs and/or overdo the veggies, they're more solid and actually sink, but the fat separates out.

@Larra Thanks for your post. I admit reading Scott's post made me nervous. My mother is staying with me for the first few days, but then I will be alone. That's just the way it is.

@Larra Thanks for your post. I admit reading Scott's post made me nervous. My mother is staying with me for the first few days, but then I will be alone. That's just the way it is.
Sorry Barb I don't mean to scare you but if you can get your Mother to stay a week or two, or somebody else, that would really help you out. As long as you don't have any major issues then you should be okay on your own but if you has some support during that time it would help you a lot

@Barbara it isn't ideal, but you can make it work. Have everything possible prepared ahead of time, like little portions of food in the freezer, soups that you like stocked up, laundry done, etc. Make sure you have an emergency contact, someone who could come over to give you a hand, just in case. It will be up to you to make sure you stay hydrated and do your walking. If you need any medications, get them now or when you leave the hospital so you don't have to worry about going to a pharmacy (or finding someone to do it for you). And of course you can come here with any questions.
You can do this!

So exciting that i just have 3 more days (surgery is Tuesday AM at 7:30). Besides following @Larra's advice from an earlier thread to clean my house (sisyphean with 3 kids and a dog that sheds like crazy), is there anything i should do before my new life begins?!?

Also just want to thank everyone for being so supportive--this board has really helped ease my stress level leading up to the surgery knowing how well people are doing on the other side.
Be sure to have a wooden spoon and some flushable wet wipes. Wiping the old bottom after surgery is the hardest part. Wooden spoon and wet wipes made it possible

I did not have this experience. Other than one incident in the hospital where the nurse didn't get to me fast enough to unhook the thingies that were massaging my legs, I had no incidents of not making it to the bathroom (and that one was the nurse's fault because she was drinking coffee - the next time I just ripped the tubes out of them so I could go.)

Before surgery, I did laundry and cleaned my house, stocked up on sugar-free popsicles and jell-o, and I bought me a fancy cup without a straw for keeping drinks cold. My brother was there for the first few days so I had him running for me.

That makes me very nervous. Do most people have this experience?
I didn't have it either at all post op. BUT I did have a couple of close calls the first two weeks post op while on nothing but liquids. Once I started my vitamins and got to "real" food, things firmed up quickly.

You really won't be eating much your 1st 2 weeks post op anyways to worry much about "accidents". Gotta have volume in to get volume out after all. It's going to be ALL about the fluids those 1st 2 weeks....so I recommend you have LOTS of DIFFERENT beverages in the house. I'm talking chocolate milk, juices, flavored waters, lemonades....get a large assortment because whatever you think you like now-is possibly going to change post op. Lemonade-suggested to me by a poster here-saved my literal life! I was sooo sick and just couldn't drink or eat to save my own life. But then I tried Simply Lemonade (fresh squeezed lemonade from regular supermarket) and it tasted great to me. I drank it and it saved me. Your salvation could be cranberry juice cocktail....green tea, etc. And don't even think about avoiding sugars, etc...if you find something you can get and keep down your gullet-it's all good! Keep your cell phone charged at all times to call for help if need to. So excited for you! Victory is just around the corner, and I applaud you for having the guts to reach out and grab it. So many are frozen with indecision but NOT YOU. Guts I say!!
:congrats:

I'm OldBroad's sister - I had nothing like that (and I should add that I had had a lateral sphincterotomy about 7 years before my DS, so theoretically, my sphincter muscle was already slightly compromised). Now it was close a few times - but I had my recliner in my bedroom with a straight shot to the bathroom. We had different surgeons, I was younger than she is when I had my DS, I wasn't quite as heavy - lots of variables, even with similar genetics.

So the answer is (oh my, I crack myself up) it Depends.

I bought some in beautiful colors, just in case!!!!

DBmom, You've got this, sister! I will be watching your posts with interests as we are (almost) surgery sisters!

Go forth and be well!!

Latest posts

Back