Will I Get This Done Before School Starts Again? My Journey

I meant to make a post as I waited to leave for the hospital, but they called and my surgery time got moved up. So, today is the day! I'll see y'all on the other side.

Best wishes for a safe and successful surgery, and a not too awful recovery! Let us know you're ok when you can.

Congratulations, best wishes for an uncomplicated procedure and swift recovery! Please remember to stay hydrated as top priority once IV's are removed. Thinking of you!

Welcome to the beginning of your transformation, navygrrl, glad it went well! Hope your pain continues to be well-managed, but also please take it easy and avoid lifting over the next few weeks while your insides heal. Stay hydrated!

I got to come home last night. I just could not get comfortable in the hospital, so once I passed all the milestones, I was discharged. I slept in my bed and didn't have any issues with tossing or turning. The hardest thing right now is just the sip, sip, sipping part. Nothing tastes good, but it's going down alright. I definitely learned the hard way about taking too big of a sip.

I'm on all sorts of anti-nausea meds. I took the scop patch off because it was making my neck itchy. Pain management is still good. Knock on wood, I didn't have any issues with gas pains.

Surgery was uneventful. They put a butt patch on my to protect my hip bones during surgery. I was worried about how difficult it would be to take that off, but it just rolled off on its own. I also ended up on oxygen for a good while. I ended up on insulin for part of my time in the hospital due to high blood sugars, which I did not expect.

Everything is just making me sleepy, but I thought I'd update since I was up for a bit. Thanks everyone for your support!

Anesthesia can do a number on blood sugars.
I had them remove my scop patch before I left the hospital when I had my hernia repair, and the nurse who took it off said they shouldn’t be left on longer than 3 days.
Welcome to the dark side. We have bacon (when you’re healed)

I'm looking forward to bacon. :)

I got a MyChart notification that more test results were in. Since I was up anyway, I checked them and got quite the surprise: the pathologist found a spindle cell type gastrointestinal stromal tumor. I guess it was a good thing that I had the DS, since there aren't any symptoms of this type of tumor until it's very advanced.

According to my pathology report:
DiagnosisPortion of stomach, excision:
-Gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST), see synoptic report.

This electronic signature is attestation that the pathologist personally reviewed the submitted material(s) and the final diagnosis reflects that evaluation.
Diagnosis CommentFindings were conveyed to Dr. Ng via secure Epic message the afternoon of 8/4/2023.
Synoptic ReportGASTROINTESTINAL STROMAL TUMOR (GIST): Resection

GASTROINTESTINAL STROMAL TUMOR (GIST): RESECTION - All Specimens

8th Edition - Protocol posted: 12/14/2022

CLINICAL

Preresection Treatment: No known preresection therapy

SPECIMEN

Procedure: Resection: Partial gastrectomy

TUMOR

Tumor Focality: Unifocal

Tumor Site: Stomach: Incidentally discovered in partial gastrectomy specimen

Histologic Type: Gastrointestinal stromal tumor, spindle cell type

Tumor Size: Greatest Dimension (Centimeters): 1.5 cm

Additional Dimension (Centimeters): 0.8 cm

Additional Dimension (Centimeters): 0.7 cm

Mitotic Rate: 2 mitoses per 5 mm2

Histologic Grade: G1, low grade

Necrosis: Not identified

Treatment Effect: No known presurgical therapy

Risk Assessment: None

MARGINS

Margin Status: All margins negative for GIST

Closest Margin(s) to GIST: Unoriented stapled mucosal margin

Distance from GIST to Closest Margin: >2 cm

REGIONAL LYMPH NODES

Regional Lymph Node Status: Not applicable (no regional lymph nodes submitted or found)

pTNM CLASSIFICATION (AJCC 8th Edition)

Reporting of pT, pN, and (when applicable) pM categories is based on information available to the pathologist at the time the report is issued. As per the AJCC (Chapter 1, 8th Ed.) it is the managing physician's responsibility to establish the final pathologic stage based upon all pertinent information, including but potentially not limited to this pathology report.

pT Category: pT1

pN Category: pN not assigned (no nodes submitted or found)

SPECIAL STUDIES

Immunohistochemical Studies:

KIT (CD117): Positive

Immunohistochemical Studies:

DOG1 (ANO1): Positive

And of course, it's the weekend, so I won't hear from my doctor until next week.

As a side note, people kept telling me that I was going to be cold after surgery. This has not been my experience; instead I am having hot flashes. I seriously dislike hot flashes.

Getting fluids down is much easier today.

Latest posts

Back