Who wants a Reese's Peanut Butter cup?

Dave0168

OK, so this was too good (IMHO) to send to recipes but the mods can certainly put it there.

I had been searching for different ways to get low carb/high protein in that didn't require meat or cheese. I found this online but modified it for us DS'ers since we can have the fat:

Faux Reese's Cups

1 Scoop chocolate protein powder (I use ON Gold standard whey)
1 T Cocoa powder
2 t Truvia (I tried it with Splenda and the Truvia is a more natural sweet taste for only 6 carbs)
2 T heavy whipping cream
Milk (almond, cow, soy or water)

Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a fork. You will need to add more liquid as you mix until it looks (and tastes!) like chocolate syrup.

Peanut Butter Filling:

I use natural peanut butter which I make in the following manner.
Pay close attention because this is complicated........;)

1 can of cocktail peanuts
1 - 2 T peanut oil (or veg oil)
1 pinch of salt

Place in a food processor and whip it up. Done.

Assembly:

I use a mini muffin pan but you can use mini muffin cups.

Place some chocolate in the bottom third of the cup
Place in the freezer for 20-30 min
Divide 1 T of your delicious (and cheap) peanut butter into the cups. Return to freezer for 15 min
Top with more chocolate sauce. Back in freezer 20 min.
If you used a pan, warm the bottom for a min on a hot wet dish towel or dish rag.
Place in a bag or container and store in the fridge (not the freezer, they get wicked hard)

EDIT: Store these in the freezer, they "deflate" in the fridge. Just break them up into "Reeses Pieces" and they thaw in your mouth in a few seconds.

Macros for 1 of 6 cups:

Calories 61, Total Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 12 mg, Sodium 16 mg, Potassium 17 mg, Total Carbohydrate 3 g, Dietary Fiber 1 g, Sugars 1 g, Protein 5 g

As a side note, I realized that if you add less liquid, it actually looks and feels like frosting..........

Last edited:
Looks good, thanks for sharing. As a side note, the carbs in Truvia come from sugar alcohols which, we do not absorb so, in my mind, don't count.

Looks good, thanks for sharing. As a side note, the carbs in Truvia come from sugar alcohols which, we do not absorb so, in my mind, don't count.

Thanks for that info on the sugar alcohols.

I always wondered why people mention them here, I thought because they weren't good for us. Now I know differently

@Dave0168 it's not that sugar alcohols aren't good for us, it's just that we can get, shall we say, after effects. Some people can handle a few grams of sugar alcohols, others are very sensitive to them. I would guess that if you ate a whole bunch of these tasty sounding treats you would have regrets.

Thanks for that info on the sugar alcohols.

I always wondered why people mention them here, I thought because they weren't good for us. Now I know differently

Many people...I'm one of them but my brother in law who has never needed or had wls is another...get what Larra refrained from calling "the Galloping Aztec Two Step Bathroom Dash." He tried sugar-free life savers and going for a walk when he gave up smoking...kept having to run to the nasty park restrooms until he figured it out. Ugh.

@Dave0168 it's not that sugar alcohols aren't good for us, it's just that we can get, shall we say, after effects. Some people can handle a few grams of sugar alcohols, others are very sensitive to them. I would guess that if you ate a whole bunch of these tasty sounding treats you would have regrets.

Probably right. As they are, I usually eat 1 or 1/2 and haven't had any issues. They are pretty sweet (to me) and I can only do so much sweet stuff

Probably right. As they are, I usually eat 1 or 1/2 and haven't had any issues. They are pretty sweet (to me) and I can only do so much sweet stuff
I have found my personal limit on ANY sugar alcohol ending in -itol. My DAILY limit is 5. If I stay with 4 or less, I am fine. 5 can be borderline as in extra gassy that evening but over 5 and I may as well live on the toilet for awhile. BUT I have always had issues with sugar alcohols...this is nothing new, not related to WLS. And many find the same effect otherwise there would NOT be a warning attached to such products. Or reviews like this one: Haribo SF Gummy Bears

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@Spiky Bugger is right, it's not just us, it could happen to anyone. My brother recently showed me a high protein bar he had found that, as he put it, actually tasted good. And right there on the label it said "28 gm sugar alcohols". You didn't even need to know what an -itol was to figure it out. For a smart guy, sometimes he's clueless. I reminded him about those hilarious reviews of the gummy bears and told him he needed to find a different snack product.
28 gm!! In one little bar!

I just eat the actual Reese's peanut butter cups. :D

Sugar alcohol doesn't come near my mouth or I will be in the bathroom instantly.

I just eat the actual Reese's peanut butter cups. :D

Sugar alcohol doesn't come near my mouth or I will be in the bathroom instantly.

Lucky you :D, but a real one at 9 gm carbs and only 2 gm protein isn't going to cut it for someone limiting carbs.

I thought about the sugar alcohol thing and I too know some non DS people that have the same trouble with artificial sweeteners.

Remember, you can always add whatever you want to these, add honey or real sugar or no sugar. The point of it is to show that we aren't limited to just what's on the store shelf. I personally don't like the Pure Protein bars, they have a clay like texture in my mouth and occasionally I need a quick source of slow digesting protein. These fit the bill for me.

Lucky you :D, but a real one at 9 gm carbs and only 2 gm protein isn't going to cut it for someone limiting carbs.
I am almost 2 years out so 9 grams of carbs is no big deal to me but I get you are concerned with carbs. Maxing protein was my goal.

I thought about the sugar alcohol thing and I too know some non DS people that have the same trouble with artificial sweeteners.

Remember, you can always add whatever you want to these, add honey or real sugar or no sugar. The point of it is to show that we aren't limited to just what's on the store shelf. I personally don't like the Pure Protein bars, they have a clay like texture in my mouth and occasionally I need a quick source of slow digesting protein. These fit the bill for me.
Nature valley has a good protein bar that tastes good. 14 grams carbs and 10 protein. I eat them quite often and would eat them regardless of the protein, if I wasn't worried about what I ate.

The qwest bars were his awful to me and so many others were full of alcohols.

I'm
I am almost 2 years out so 9 grams of carbs is no big deal to me but I get you are concerned with carbs. Maxing protein was my goal.
Oh trust me, i would rather have the real deal.

I think my wife bought those Nature Valley protein bars but I was reluctant to try only 2 months out.

Latest posts

Back