Truly Low Carb/High protein Bars

Dave0168

I have been on a food experimentation kick lately and have been searching for a week now for a low carb/high protein home made protein bar recipe. Most like to use oat flower (from oatmeal) because it is cheaper than almond or coconut flour.

I finally found one that is low carb (lower than the Pure Protein bars which are 17 gms/bar), is easy and cheap to make and CUSTOMIZABLE meaning you can add what ever extra you want to them such as pumpkin seeds, or different flavors of protein powder, dried fruit, etc.

Truly Low Carb Protein Bars:

1/2 C Natural Peanut Butter (see my other thread) or any nut butter you want
5 Scoops of protein powder (I used Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Whey)
2 T chia seeds
4 T Ground flax seeds (Make this easily in an electric coffee grinder or Nutribullet, what I used)
2 oz heavy cream
1/2 C unsweetened shredded coconut
1 T pure vanilla
Extra liquid (your choice, I used 1% milk)

Add everything to a bowl and mix. You will need to add additional liquid in small amounts until the consistency is like a sticky dough. Hands work best for this but wet them when you mix this to reduce sticking to them (also adds a little moisture).

Once you are happy with the consistency, place the dough between two pieces of wax or parchment paper and roll to the thickness you want. Place in the fridge to set. Cut into bars of the size you want and eat.

These are best stored in the fridge. I will give you the macros for the whole recipe so add for what ever additional stuff you add and divide by the number of bars you get. I added Craisins and think I will add SF chocolate chips next time.

I got 8 bars at 21 gms protein and 10 carbs (3 fiber) Compare that to a Pure Protein Bar!

Macros for the whole recipe (divide by number of bars you get):

Servings 1
Calories 2038, Total Fat 111 g, Sodium 861 mg, Potassium 324 mg, Total Carbohydrate 79 g, Dietary Fiber 27 g, Sugars 24 g, Protein 169 g

So for those of us subtracting fiber, that's only 52 gms FOR THE WHOLE BATCH!

Last edited:
Just to update:

I took one of these with my lunch today. Wrapped it in a piece of foil and it spent all morning in a little cooler with a freezer pack (translation: not very cold). The bar kept it's shape perfectly and didn't stick to anything!

I would also add that next time if I add anything like Craisins or Chocolate chips, I would wait until just before you are ready to roll it out, then distribute the stuff on top and press it in with the rolling pin. That way it will not end up clumped in places and bare in others.

:thumbsup:

I am going to try to perfect those next. My first attempt at protein brownies was OK warm but terrible once cooled.

I have some Ideas on how I want to tweak them. I'll post up when I get them good.

Also going to work on protein pancakes/waffles this weekend.

I saw protein pancake mix on another site, along with cookies and breakfast pastries, but I am not paying $17 for seven cookies. I don't really like pancakes so I won't pay anything for those at all.

Oh, I almost forgot, I have a recipe I'm working on for a cinnamon roll in a coffee cup with sweet neufchatel frosting. It's like 3 ingredients and 30 sec in the microwave.

Again, first attempt the thing turned into a rubber ball but I think I know what I need to change

I only consider stuff I can make cheaply at home with stuff I can buy at the grocery store. Most times it takes a little thought and experimentation to get it right. For instance, I have had flax seeds here forever but never thought about turning them into meal in my Nutribullet. The seeds are cheap but a small bag of flax meal is about $7 at the store and flax seed meal is a great protein rich substitute for flour in many recipes.

Luckily we can have the fat which helps with the flavor and moistness of these recipes.

Don't buy the mixes, you can make this stuff at home and much lower carb content than what you will find in commercially made mixes. For instance, I was in WalMart ready to buy natural peanut butter at about $6 for a medium size jar. For some reason I went down to the nut isle, looked at a can of cocktail peanuts and the lightbulb went off: for $4 and 2 min in my food processor there was a jar of natural peanut butter with NOTHING BUT PEANUTS IN IT (or what ever else I wanted to put in it).

Why would I pay someone else to do what I can do in my kitchen (and healthier at that)?

Last edited:
@Dave0168 Dude....you are on a ROLL!!!!! I'm gonna try these. I just wish I could buy it already made! I'm a good Chef, BUT...am SO limited in time to do stuff.

@Dave0168 Dude....you are on a ROLL!!!!! I'm gonna try these. I just wish I could buy it already made! I'm a good Chef, BUT...am SO limited in time to do stuff.

It's easy! Nothing to cook and aside from grinding the flax, I think it took 15 min, just measure and mix!

I messed around with this recipe today and am very pleased with the result. Here's how I made it:

1/2 c. natural peanut butter
5 scoops Unjury Chocolate Splendor protein powder
4 T flax seed meal
2 T almond flour
4 oz. heavy cream
2 oz. whole milk
1/2 C unsweetened coconut flakes
1 T pure vanilla

Mush all together and press flat and rectangular on a piece of wax paper. Put in the fridge to solidify.

Melt together 1.5 T milk chocolate chips, 1 oz. baking chocolate (about a minute in the microwave). Stir in 1 tsp. coconut oil, 2 packets Splenda. Allow to cool almost to room temperature then spread on top of the bars like icing. Allow it to cool another half hour or more then cut into bars.

I put all the ingredients into a recipe calculator and estimated 16 small servings of about 1.25 oz as follows:

Calories: 162, Fat: 11g, Carbs: 7g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 10g.

I happened to have regular milk chocolate chips in the cupboard. I imagine this could be made with sugar-free chips to cut down the sugar and carb content even further.

Nature valley protein bars are 10 protein and 14 carbs, cheap and most importantly taste good.

Yes, I like the Nature Valley Protein bars as well. I just wanted try to make something with a little less sugar and carbs and better quality chocolate frosting. I think the ones I made taste better than the Nature Valley ones.

Latest posts

Back