When did you stop narcotics/pain meds post surgery?

My doc is prescribing 30 dilauded (sp?) Will it be enough?Is it effective with our new system?

Just as heads up, I was placed on TRAMODOL coming off of morphine IV when I had cancer surgery. I had very, very disturbing, graphic, violent nightmares and daydreams the likes of which I had never experienced in my life, caused insomnia, and put me into an unacceptable frame of mind.... So, while it did a decent job controlling pain, I had to discontinue use.

Dilaudid, Norco both have worked well for me.

EDITED TO CORRECT ERROR: Tramodol was the drug which caused nightmares for me, not Torodol. I can't use the correct spelling of Tramodol here as it is a banned word, the first "o" should be replaced with "a".

Last edited:
I was sent home with a liquid form of hydrocodone/acetaminophen. I also had a device that was dripping local anesthetic directly into my incisions for 3 days or so. I don't remember how long I used the medicine, but I think I started tapering off after about 5 days and stopped completely after 10 days. Liquid medicine was helpful because it was easier to get down than pills and because it was easier to adjust the dosage.

I was on Delauded for 10 weeks. Dr. K called in a refill for 2 more weeks but I never filled it. I did need it those first 10 weeks though.

Interesting thread! I was sent home with a large bottle of liquid hydrocodone, I am 22 days out now and still take 5 cc's of it once or twice a day, I try plain tylenol first. My skin still hurts and I suspect the colitis adds to the discomfort. I am finally starting to feel like I am a 'normal' post op now - 20+ days out. I am trying to balance the gut effect of the narcotic with the need to be able to move around well.

Given everything you've been through, i don't think it's surprising you need a little extra pain control. It should improve over the next week i bet!

thanks DBMom - I am hoping you are right. every single day is better - seems like my days don't start till about noon - I get up early - 6:30 or 7 a and spend time drinking, bath rooming, and getting in my pills, oh and napping, napping, finally about noon I feel good and better than the day before. Appreciate the words of support!

Latest posts

Back