What to do with fancy mushrooms?

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I got two different types of fancy-pants mushrooms with my last farm co-op delivery. I'm making spaghetti tonight, and I can't bring myself to make such a mundane use of these fancy things - does anyone have any suggestions?

Brown beech mushrooms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypsizygus_tessellatus
300px-Hypsizygus_marmoreus_20101123_a.jpg

Maitake mushrooms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grifola_frondosa
375px-Eikhaas.JPG

@DianaCox @Elizabeth N. Seems as if lots of DSrs cook. Seriously---can you succeed with this surgery if you don't cook? I don't cook. At all. In 7 years at this house my oven is only on to heat ham at Christmas. Truly.

I eat a lot of pre-prepared foods from Costco and Safeway. I cook maybe 1/3 of the time. When I cook, I make a lot so I can eat leftovers for lunch and snacks.

I cook a couple times a week under normal conditions, plus a big crockpot of something-or-other on the weekends. It doesn't take a genius to cook an omelette, fry bacon, grill up a hunk of something, etc. Rotisserie chicken is a staple of my life, as are cheese and salami. A high protein diet is easy to accommodate with minimal cooking.

I did this with regular mushrooms and shallots two weeks ago while we were camping at Pismo Beach. I can only imagine how good these will taste!

I was also thinking of buying some Hot and Sour soup from a Chinese restaurant, and adding them. Or maybe to Thai coconut soup with shrimps. Or maybe all of the above.

The sad thing is, both of my kids are living with me, and they both hate mushrooms - I failed them somehow. And my husband is not feeling much like eating since surgery on Tuesday.

I did this with regular mushrooms and shallots two weeks ago while we were camping at Pismo Beach. I can only imagine how good these will taste!

I was also thinking of buying some Hot and Sour soup from a Chinese restaurant, and adding them. Or maybe to Thai coconut soup with shrimps. Or maybe all of the above.

The sad thing is, both of my kids are living with me, and they both hate mushrooms - I failed them somehow. And my husband is not feeling much like eating since surgery on Tuesday.
I vote for shallots, butter and BACON FAT! Did it a few weeks ago with awesome shiitakes from the farmer's market, yummmmmm

Final decision and product: mushroom soup:

Based on ingredients on hand, I made mushroom soup, based loosely on this recipe: http://macrobiotic.about.com/…/pu…/r/maitakemushroomsoup.htm
using the brown beech mushrooms and maitake mushrooms. There were quite a few substitutions, based on what I had on hand (I actually love tweaking recipes to make do with what I have):

4 ounces maitake (hen of the woods) mushrooms, chopped [I used what was in the package - was about the size of a pint produce basket]

1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water [didn't have any, omitted, but added some extra water]

1/2 pound assorted fresh mushrooms, preferably creminis mixed with at least 6 ounces shiitakes [used the brown beech mushrooms, also about the size of a pint produce basket]

3 tablespoons olive oil [used garlic flavored olive oil]

2 large shallots, chopped [had four small ones]

1 small leek, chopped [a chunk of previously sliced, frozen leeks]

1 small Vidalia onion, chopped [a yellow onion]

1 stalk celery, chopped

1 carrot, chopped [two small ones]

1 medium potato, peeled and chopped [used potato flakes to thicken the broth]

4 cups vegetable stock or water [used chicken stock]

2 tablespoons tamari [used soy sauce]

1 tablespoon cognac (optional) [added the dregs of some rose port]

1 bay leaf

2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

Sea salt

I was supposed to puree the whole mess, but the fancy mushrooms were so pretty, I reserved the best parts of the tops, tied them up in cheese cloth, and cooked them in the broth, but pulled them out before pureeing the rest, then added the mushroom tops back to the soup.
10646737_10152407967341173_7397428557137510538_n.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-28_19-0-54.gif
    upload_2014-9-28_19-0-54.gif
    1 KB · Views: 1
OMG! I was coming here to tell you to throw them out! Then to tell you why I feel this way and saw what you did with them, I literally gagged! Well let me tell you a story about a little girl and her summer one year.

I was 8, my brother 12, and my sister 16. We lived out in the country. Some neighbors within walking distance but no one near my age. We didn't have much money so I doubt if my parents were paying my sister anything to watch us. What they did do was give her some money each week to go to the store and get food for us for lunch. I believe that what she did use she got to keep. Every fuckin' day that summer we had cream of mushroom soup!! She loved cream of mushroom soup and was a pretty good cook, so she would add all kinds of seasonings to her liking to make it great tasting to her. My brother thought it was okay until after that summer. As a matter of fact, he worked construction in his early 20's and one day at lunch the guy sitting next to him opened a thermos of cream of mushroom soup, my brother promptly threw up. I don't know if I ever liked mushrooms before but I know I never have since!

That sounds awful @Terri - but I still love them (and my kids still hate them).
Tonight, my kids "made" dinner - pork carnitas (from Costco) and lime rice (from a package) - it was yummy, but still too dry, so I poured some of the mushroom soup on it - delish!

I make mushroom soup with cream. That's my go-to for shrooms other than sauteing in butter for ease.

My other real favorites are beef bourguignon (don't try skimping with a wrong wine), and beef stroganoff (lots of sour cream) if they are chunkier mushrooms. Both of these take much more prep time than just sauteing or making soup, but are absolutely worth the hassle.

Latest posts

Back