Want to critique my labs and regime?

I thought...I’m often a day late and a dollar shirt on updates...that we can absorb only about 500 mg of calcium at a time.
I have read that too. But then I read that taking calcium with a multivitamin can interfere with the absorption of other vitamins. But even though I am taking 1200 mg don't I malabsorb some anyways and in the end it's 500mg? I don't know.

Lately, I am of the opinion that I dont absorb calcium much at all. I still follow the rules, except for heme iron, which I have lab proof I absorb with all my vites.

Go by YOUR results, meaning your own lab levels. Calcium is the exception, as blood calcium is not an indicator of what you supplement, but what is circulated from your bones. If I remember correctly.

I have read that too. But then I read that taking calcium with a multivitamin can interfere with the absorption of other vitamins. But even though I am taking 1200 mg don't I malabsorb some anyways and in the end it's 500mg? I don't know.

You coukd be right...my uro might agree with you, but...if we count on 50% or <50% absorption, wouldn't we need to take even more?

I’m working on this for me, too.

Lately, I am of the opinion that I dont absorb calcium much at all. I still follow the rules, except for heme iron, which I have lab proof I absorb with all my vites.

Go by YOUR results, meaning your own lab levels. Calcium is the exception, as blood calcium is not an indicator of what you supplement, but what is circulated from your bones. If I remember correctly.
So our bloodwork doesn't show if we are taking enough calcium? How will we know if we are taking enough?

You coukd be right...my uro might agree with you, but...if we count on 50% or <50% absorption, wouldn't we need to take even more?

I’m working on this for me, too.
My chiropractor about ten years ago gave me a bottle of calcium and told me to get addicted. Because with the timing and spacing of calcium I would probably have to pop calcium all day long like it's fun and illegal!

We were taught here to go by our PTH or parathyroid hormone level to tell if we are taking and absorbing calcium. You want your PTH as low as possible. At one time, mine was 12. I was proud. Then I found out I had severe osteoporosis. Apparently I started calcium too late. Past age 50. If we only had known.

So our bloodwork doesn't show if we are taking enough calcium? How will we know if we are taking enough?

What Sheanie said.

Long read, but you need it!
https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/hang-on-to-your-parathyroid-gland-at-least-for-a-while.176/

Our bloodwork DOES show us if we’re getting enough calcium, just not on the test of Serum Calcium.

The calcium in our blood work doesn't tell us if our serum calcium is in range because we are eating and supplementing just fine or it’s in range because our body is “borrowing” calcium from our teeth and bones.

PTH tells us that. The higher the PTH, the more trouble you’re in. And if anyone decides there’s “something wrong” with your thyroid/parathyroid, come here right away!!!!

Latest posts

Back