VSG to DS: Adapting to Low Carb - SEE LIST!

Stefanie S.

Draft #1 of my low carb list. As you'll see, there are some holes as it is taking forever to gather all of the data. If you want to fill any of it in, I'd be grateful! I'd also LOVE to open up conversation about what you're eating that's low carb / high protein / moderate-to-high fat. I still need more ideas as I seem to burn out easily on the foods I've been eating.

See attached and please send me your ideas!

Attachments

• Low Carb List.pdf
    361.4 KB · Views: 34
What I try to do (and I imagine many others do as well) is to eat a variety of proteins (meat, poultry, cheese, fish, nuts) and low carb veggies and avoid other foods until goal weight is reached. Snacks are cheese, meat rolls up, nuts, etc. There are lots and lots of recipes online for tasty high protein recipes to add variety.

OMG, that's awesome!

Lol....that was my reaction when I saw it about 3 weeks after surgery, I was like, you mean i get to eat all those calories and not get fatter or feel guilty.

Last night I had lots of Peking duck without the bun. Today, I had two hot dogs and some bacon without the bun.

Draft #1 of my low carb list. As you'll see, there are some holes as it is taking forever to gather all of the data. If you want to fill any of it in, I'd be grateful! I'd also LOVE to open up conversation about what you're eating that's low carb / high protein / moderate-to-high fat. I still need more ideas as I seem to burn out easily on the foods I've been eating.

See attached and please send me your ideas!
You don't HAVE to have fat. I will roast a chicken and get several meals out of it. I eat a lot of steak, sausage, and pork chops. And, Fage yogurt and eggs are my go -to breakfast items, with or without bacon and cheese. I eat chunks of cheese daily as a snack and drink latte/cappuccino with cream or milk. A pot of chili goes a long way here. A ham is a dozen meals, plus it makes split pea soup. I make my favorite recipes and add twice the meat. I made chicken enchiladas for the family, with several pounds of chicken breast and two bricks of cheese, and it was gobbled up. I make spaghetti and meatballs and pig out on meatballs, but I eat it without the spaghetti. I can make a bowl of tuna salad or egg salad, or throw a chicken in a pot with broth and veggies for soup. Meatloaf is great. Look at your family's favorite meals and add leftover chicken or steak to double the protein. You will do better with your own food than with processed or restaurant food, and it will be cheaper. It becomes second nature to look at every meal and add protein and subtract carbs.

You don't HAVE to have fat. I will roast a chicken and get several meals out of it. I eat a lot of steak, sausage, and pork chops. And, Fage yogurt and eggs are my go -to breakfast items, with or without bacon and cheese. I eat chunks of cheese daily as a snack and drink latte/cappuccino with cream or milk. A pot of chili goes a long way here. A ham is a dozen meals, plus it makes split pea soup. I make my favorite recipes and add twice the meat. I made chicken enchiladas for the family, with several pounds of chicken breast and two bricks of cheese, and it was gobbled up. I make spaghetti and meatballs and pig out on meatballs, but I eat it without the spaghetti. I can make a bowl of tuna salad or egg salad, or throw a chicken in a pot with broth and veggies for soup. Meatloaf is great. Look at your family's favorite meals and add leftover chicken or steak to double the protein. You will do better with your own food than with processed or restaurant food, and it will be cheaper. It becomes second nature to look at every meal and add protein and subtract carbs.
I am still waiting to schedule surgery, but I've noticed so many people talk about adding meat for the protein...I'm not vegetarian, but I have wanted to go more vegetarian (ethical reasons)...is it possible to get enough protein without using so much meat?

Good list! The easiest way for me to do this has always been plain meat, cheese, and eggs are free food.
I agree those are the easiest but man I get tired of things sometimes. I am going through a spell for the last 6 months where I am not really digging eggs too much. I have to have them in a burrito, pizza or breakfast sandwich where I eat a little of the biscuit or croissant. I eat more carbs than most DS'rs because I have been able to get away with it, but I agree those things you posted are core DS foods.

I agree, especially on the fat comment and I eat a lot of things you do. I am absolutely addicted to Cooked Perfect meatballs right now. I use whole wheat angel hair pasta and have maybe a quarter to half cup of that but the meatballs that I cook up in plain old Prego Marinara sauce. let's just say I am like a pig at the trough.

https://www.cookedperfect.com/products/homestyle-meatballs/

I am still waiting to schedule surgery, but I've noticed so many people talk about adding meat for the protein...I'm not vegetarian, but I have wanted to go more vegetarian (ethical reasons)...is it possible to get enough protein without using so much meat?
You can go semi-vegetarian post-DS, but for me, I don't like tofu or tempeh and soy protein is the only veg protein that comes close to the protein-grams-per-bite that meat has. The quantity of food you can eat is small, and the protein needs are high. If I ate a half a cup of quinoa, it would be all I could eat and I'd only have 4g of protein. Eggs are good for one meal at 7g per egg, but can you eat 12 eggs a day? I would find it to be hard work to calculate whether I was getting enough "complete" protein, and also to make it varied enough to not get bored. But others may have different experiences.

Your post made me smile. I was vegan (for ethical reasons) before getting the DS surgery. I agonized over the decision and I tried to make many menu plans for a post-DS surgery vegan diet. My biggest problem is that I don't tolerate carbs very well post-DS, so I found it difficult to lose the weight and I also didn't feel well. I now mostly eat fish/shrimp - not sure why, but in my mind, I am less guilt-ridden. I have had steak, but I think I'm not going to do that anymore. I will only get eggs from pasture-raised hens and I get the most humane meat possible, though I realize that early death is never really humane. It is definitely a struggle. I wish I had a better answer for you...

Latest posts

Back