Updated: Livid!! Am I just being irrational? Now APPROVED!

. Both cleared me without a hitch.

It's not an issue of getting clearance. It's an issue of them letting you know what services you may need to be successful afterwards. I was cleared both times without a hitch and so was my x. You may want to go back and rereview any recommendations they made for you in the reporr. Mostly all we care about is did the clear me for surgery but if you had a decent evaluator there is probably some other recommendations according to you personality type that will help you do the best you can to be successful after surgery.

I didn't get a copy of the reports - I will request them and look over them. That's a good idea. Thanks @Charris !

Huntington is like a resort. The rooms are huge. It actually looks like a resort from the outside. I got excellent service and compassion from everyone including the cleaning people. But guess what at Verdugo the rooms were small. The hospital is a site for sore eyes but I got equally as great service and compassion at Verdugo. I'd go back to either in a heart beat. If I had someone staying with me I would try for Huntington because the rooms are spacious enough to accommodate that comfortably.

Edit spelling
Yeah that is my feelings other than my wife doesn't spend the night because she wouldn't get any sleep and it is a hassle. So free/easy parking and ease of getting around at VHH vs HM far outweigh the bigger room for us. VHH is also easier to get to since it is literally 20 feet from the highway off ramp.

I have a different perspective then @Charris on this one.

Personally I wouldn't pay to see a psychiatrist as all they want to do is throw drugs at people and more often than not screw them up more. As you can tell I have a very low opinion of Psychiatrists as I have seen them do a lot of damage. Psychologists on the other hand I think can be quite helpful.

If after surgery you have depression or anxiety your PCP should be able to prescribe something to get you started. That being said, stay off that stuff unless you absolutely need it because every drug has its side effects and some worse than others. Giving the wrong psyche med for a condition can lead to suicidal ideation.

Anyway good luck and do see somebody if you need it.

@DSRIGGS it's a psychologist that does the evaluation. They do not have authority to prescribe anything except counseling and therapy. There is no benefit for the to tell you that you need medication.

@DSRIGGS it's a psychologist that does the evaluation. They do not have authority to prescribe anything except counseling and therapy. There is no benefit for the to tell you that you need medication.
Fully aware of how it works.

@DSRIGGS You and I have the opposite perspective on psychiatrists. When I was first diagnosed with cancer and thought I was going to have to say goodbye to my kids and then my 20 year old pet passed away while I was travelling for medical evalation, I experienced real depression for the first time in my life and Zoloft was the only thing that made it bearable enough for me to function. I've also seen amazing results of psych meds with a former schoolmate who developed schizophrenia and know that while there isn't a perfect solution, for those friends who suffer from bipolar disorder, meds are usually better than no meds.

@DSRIGGS You and I have the opposite perspective on psychiatrists. When I was first diagnosed with cancer and thought I was going to have to say goodbye to my kids and then my 20 year old pet passed away while I was travelling for medical evalation, I experienced real depression for the first time in my life and Zoloft was the only thing that made it bearable enough for me to function. I've also seen amazing results of psych meds with a former schoolmate who developed schizophrenia and know that while there isn't a perfect solution, for those friends who suffer from bipolar disorder, meds are usually better than no meds.
I watched my Mom suffer with depression/bipolar'sm for years. The truth is that psychiatrists didn't know for sure what the diagnosis was because there isn't really any objective test that says with 100% certainty that, yep "this is a fracture of the femur". It is "feel" based off of talking to the patient for a few minute. My was on a bazillion different meds that sometimes made her less of a zombie and sometimes made her worse.

Cameron was diagnosed Bipolar by one guy and given a drug for that and is caused a suicide/self harm attempt. The psychiatrist at the hospital said he was not Bipolar but had anxiety and depression and he went on the meds the other guy prescribed and on to new meds. None of the meds helped his depression and mood one bit, but they all made him like a zombie and he could barely function. The only thing that ever did anything remotely effective for relief of his symptoms was ECT and the anesthesiologist used Ketamine to put him out. He felt better for a week or two and then right back to the same. You can't do ECT forever, and it was Cameron's belief that the Ketamine is what made him feel better. There are ongoing trials that do ketamine therapy over a couple months and it is reported to have good success. Of course he wasn't able to get into any of the trials because he had self harmed. There is a guy in Chicagoland who combines Ketamine therapy and transcranial magnetic stimulation. The claims to have wonderful results. When I called to ask about pricing and insurance I got a call back later from a former patient who was selling me on the wonders of the treatment (felt like snake oil being pushed at us). There office doesn't even submit to insurance and the guy wanted some ridiculous amount of money like $2,500 per treatment and of course said that Cameron would need 20 treatments initially and then maintenance every 6-12 months. $75K of treatments for 3 days a week for 6 weeks , and then you have to come back every so often (got the hook in deep so reel em in) was just not doable.

I am glad that Zoloft works for you and for others. Meds can be and are effective for some of the population. Like I said my Mom would do okay for 18-36 months and then she would turn in to an almost vegitative state (my Mom was a passionate and outspoken Nurse who loved helping others so it was heartbreaking to see her like that). The Pschiatrist would then run her through umpteen other drugs until they found something that worked for a while, but it always ended in her back in the same sad place.

My experience with psychiatrists, and Cameron has seen probably 5 different ones is that they want to do nothing but prescribe meds and do zero one on one counseling. I think it is ludicrous that they do zero actual behavioral work with their patients and pawn that off onto a psychologist. To me it is like if your HVAC system at home went out and the guy came out to replace your system. He takes the old one out and puts the new one in but won't hook it up to power because he isn't an electrician so he can't do that part of the job. You have to call an electrician if you want your new $15K system furnace and AC to actually, you know, work! You paid for a new functioning system, not just half of the job.

I have great respect for what therapists do, and try to do for patients. I don't have that same respect for the Psychiatry industry because I don't see that they do anything but throw darts at the wall with meds that take 1-2 months to even start to work, and often do more harm than good. Dr K always says that we need to follow the Science and I don't see these guys/gals doing that.

JMO and whatever works for the individual that individual needs to do. I just see our mental health system as lacking and if somebody has relatively treatable depression the PCP can prescribe and manage those meds, unless the patient doesn't respond. IMO they PCP has a better understanding of the patient than the Psychiatrist and the PCP also knows how these things interact with other drugs.

Again, JMO.

BTW, schizophrenia is one of the mental health disorders that is objectively diagnosed and effective medications exist. I have a cousin who suffers from that and when he stays on his meds he can function, when he choose not to, watch out.

Somebody in this thread was asking about the hospitals at which Dr K operates. Here is a picture of Huntington Memorial

13087517_975831055828301_2296247627916239046_n.jpg

and here Verdugo Hills

750x422

You can't really see it by these pictures but Huntington Memorial is much bigger than USC Verdugo Hills.

I watched my Mom suffer with depression/bipolar'sm for years. The truth is that psychiatrists didn't know for sure what the diagnosis was because there isn't really any objective test that says with 100% certainty that, yep "this is a fracture of the femur". It is "feel" based off of talking to the patient for a few minute. My was on a bazillion different meds that sometimes made her less of a zombie and sometimes made her worse.

I went through the same thing with my mother. First her condition was labeled schizophrenia and later it was called multi-infract dementia. For all I know it could have been both or something else entirely. However, I must clarify that my sister took care of her as I was many states away. If there is a reward for care givers, my sister is a winner. Not an award any of us would aspire to, yet Sister took it on and did spendidly. I would send her special gifts. Not that those tokens really measured up, yet it was the best way I could think of to honor her sacrifices. A gift card to a restaurant gave her something to enjoy.

It is usually insurance that determines which hospital. I had to go to Huntington because Verdugo did not meet their Center of Excellence criteria for United Healthcare Care. Sometimes both are a choice then you can pick if you don't mind waiting longer for Huntington. But generally Dr. Will choose Verdugo if your insurance allows both unless you insist on Huntington

Huntington is a Blue Cross Center of Distinction (In Network). I couldn't find anything about Vurdugo Hills on their website.

Also....I find a small hidden clause in my policy documents hidden on page 56 of 98 that says:

XVIII. INSURED/PROVIDER RELATIONSHIP
A. The choice of a Provider is solely the Insured's.

So....I'm hoping that means a change of provider for surgery will not be a big issue and I won't totally lose my approval. I sent 4 emails to Christina at Dr. K's office today filled with attachments of medical records and my approval documents. This is a HUGE leap of faith. Either I will be on my way to California to finally get the life changing and saving surgery I fought for a year to get.....or I will lose my approval and with no further rights to ever appeal....and I will not be getting the DS and have no hope of ever getting it. It's more than a little scary.

Huntington is a Blue Cross Center of Distinction (In Network). I couldn't find anything about Vurdugo Hills on their website.

Also....I find a small hidden clause in my policy documents hidden on page 56 of 98 that says:

XVIII. INSURED/PROVIDER RELATIONSHIP
A. The choice of a Provider is solely the Insured's.

So....I'm hoping that means a change of provider for surgery will not be a big issue and I won't totally lose my approval. I sent 4 emails to Christina at Dr. K's office today filled with attachments of medical records and my approval documents. This is a HUGE leap of faith. Either I will be on my way to California to finally get the life changing and saving surgery I fought for a year to get.....or I will lose my approval and with no further rights to ever appeal....and I will not be getting the DS and have no hope of ever getting it. It's more than a little scary.

Some Mexican surgeons also contract with thise finance companies. And if you borrow larger amounts...like to finance the entire procdure...the loan term is longer. Who knows, you might be able to handle it.

Latest posts

Back