Updated: Livid!! Am I just being irrational? Now APPROVED!

He, Dr. K, had on in 2013 It was 4000 or 4500 for revision and I think 3000. But he had since gotten rid of the program fee. Last person I know who had surgery with him didn't have to pay it was told they no longer charge it

Nice!

So....because I'm about as impatient as a mother hen I broke down and called Dr K's office. Christina wasn't in. I was directed to fill out the online form and I did that. The program fee is outrageous! How do people come up with 4 grand?? And... I would be required to stay in California for 2 weeks. Hello hotel bills! That's at least another grand at a cheap motel... Plus food and gas.... It's a 13 hour drive. A flight for 2 people round trip would be about $432 on Allegiant (cheapest and with no checked baggage). Gas would be about 266...allowing for an extra 200 miles of travel and 4 dollars a gallon for gas.... And it's only 2.98 here now. Sooo... That's about 1500 just for motel and gas. How do you guys afford to stay in California? Does Dr K have a program for out of state patients for somewhere to stay for 2 weeks? Does the hospital have like a McDonald's house for people coming from out of state? Does he do financing? I would love for Dr K to do my surgery if the mountains will move and I can get there without being in prison for robbing a bank.

Dr Simper is still an option. I don't think Christine in their office has very much experience with changing providers or with my insurance.... She sounded skeptical on the phone. If she screws up the paperwork In fucked and I will lose my approval and I have no more appeal options! It sounds like Dr K's office does this often and is confident with the ins and outs... They were very reassuring and positive and said they take care of everything. So..... I'm praying Dr K can get my insurance navigated and a rich aunt will die leaving me the money I need.... Sigh!! Thanks for letting me talk out loud and vent.... I'm weighing my options for financing. If Dr K will take me and I can get there and finance it then there is no other choice... I would be okay with Simper.... But delighted with Dr K. And of course it all depends on whether my insurance will cooperate.

Last edited:
/sarcasm font/Would it be too much to pay if it were to save the life of a loved one?/end sarcasm font/

Probably not...and you would probably do ALMOST anything to find a way to pay for it.

/sarcasm font/Pretend you love yourself that much./end sarcasm font/

What you said @Spiky Bugger....I went to Dr. K's site and went to the financing tab. And I was approved through LendingUSA for what I hope will be enough to cover everything including the hotel and food for a friend. The interest rate is OUTFUCKINGRAGEOUS!!!! (Dave Ramsey wouldn't be happy but too bad) And....like you said...if it was to save my son's life I wouldn't even flinch. I feel good about this....It's a good thing I'm not going to be eating much for the next few years so I can make that payment lol. I just need to hear back from Dr. K's office to see if they can get my provider moved. Does anyone have any advice that had to travel? Where do you stay? Eat? Now I've got myself in a tither and I just need to calm down and breathe!!!! UGH!!!!

It is a very expensive area for lodging. A nice hotel is $200-$240 per night. If you do end up going to Glendale you will be thrilled with Dr k, but you will probably want to look at getting a place on homeaway.com. You should be able to get a better deal there than a hotel. Probably can find something $130-$150 with a full kitchen. The cheap hotels are not nice. We tried one and it was a hole (comfort inn Eagle Rock and I didn't feel safe leaving my wife there alone while I was in the hospital) so we ended up in Burbank at a brand new Springhill Suites which are night and day different from the old ones. You can get a Hampton Inn that looks pretty nice, for more like $139 out in Arcadia but I think that is at least a 30 minute drive from the hospital and I can't speak to the area. Sue probably can give some advice in that regard.

Best of luck. Kristina replied to one of my email's earlier today so I thought she was in but maybe she had to leave. In any case, they will take care of you and I would not be bashful about asking if there is any discount on the fee since you won't be there to take advantage of all the classes and aftercare that the fee is supposed to cover. Never hurts to ask, even if the answer is no.

BTW, why you are in a tither let me stoke that flame a little (Sorry)........your food bill aint going down over the next few years. It is more expensive to eat DS because you aren't buying cheap bread, pasta, rice, fillers like you would before. Meat, cheese, eggs and high protein food isn't cheap. .....but it is all worth it.

@Amey I'm not trying to come off as being an ass hole but you rather hear my nice version rather than one of the vets who you would know they were being an ass but with good reason. So here it is boo whoo cry me a river. You have to invest 4000 for a program fee and a few thousand to get a doctor where you would have a very competent surgeon if not one of the best. If your not worth it then go get an inferior surgeon to perform an inferior surgery that will produce inferior outcomes. You are being ridiculous with playing with you health. I've never see a u haul truck following a herse. Tough love dear. I came to these people acting desperate and hopeless making irresponsible decisions just like you are now. I was told by @DianaCox then go ahead but help the sight give someone your password so the can update us after you die so we can educate some one else who comes being stupid like you. Then @Elizabeth N. Told me boo whoo cry me a river she paid cash for her surgery I think like close to 20,000. You need to prioritize and stop being so darn inpatient and running around from Dr to dr looking for the easiest, cheapest, fastest way you can get surgery. A month or 2 wait won't kill you if you have to wait for a competent doctor regardless of the reason., but an incompetent doctor sure could kill you.

You are so right @Charris! I need to chill the fuck out NOW! I know for a fact that I DO NOT feel safe with Dr. Medvetz. And of course everyone wants Dr. K....and if I can find any way in hell...even if I have to wait another month then he will be worth it. I know I can get the funding.....I won't even complain about the bill. I have a friend that is ready to pack a bag to go with me. I know the DS is what is right for me.....and I have fought for this for over a year. I am NOT going to screw it up by being impatient. I am going to breathe.....and be thankful that I have all of you for support and to kick my ass when I need it. Thank you!!!

And thank you @DSRIGGS - I looked at homeaway.com and found several cute studio apartments that have kitchens and washer/dryer facilities. Since we will only be taking a carry-on and my friend has an RNY that would be perfect...and it was less than $100 a night. IF Dr. K can take me then I will look at the other sites @Clematis suggested. I don't want to get my hopes up too high. As an added bonus....my friend with the RNY is looking in to revising to a DS....so meeting Dr K would be an amazing opportunity for him while we are there.....if we can make the insurance work.

Thank you all so very much!! I am so very blessed so have found this site and to have your support. No more bitching from me!!!!!

After advice from everyone on here and based in having the most technically difficult surgery (RnY to Ds) complicated by splenectomy 3 months prior and a prior diaphragm surgery my case was complex and I had major insurance issue and Dr K and his office handled it so smoothly. There are not enough words I can say to praise him and everyone in the hospital from admitting to nurses and everyone in between had nothing but good to say about him. My surgery was on a Friday and he showed up to the hospital on both Saturday and Sunday! After he released me to go home (I live in AZ) he gave me his cell phone number and told me to call or text anytime. I had to text him with an issue on a Sunday and felt weird doing so but was very concerned. He immediately responded. He is a phenomenal surgeon and human being. If you can make it work and get surgery by him I would do whatever it takes to make it happen.

You are so right @Charris! I need to chill the fuck out NOW! I know for a fact that I DO NOT feel safe with Dr. Medvetz. And of course everyone wants Dr. K....and if I can find any way in hell...even if I have to wait another month then he will be worth it. I know I can get the funding.....I won't even complain about the bill. I have a friend that is ready to pack a bag to go with me. I know the DS is what is right for me.....and I have fought for this for over a year. I am NOT going to screw it up by being impatient. I am going to breathe.....and be thankful that I have all of you for support and to kick my ass when I need it. Thank you!!!

And thank you @DSRIGGS - I looked at homeaway.com and found several cute studio apartments that have kitchens and washer/dryer facilities. Since we will only be taking a carry-on and my friend has an RNY that would be perfect...and it was less than $100 a night. IF Dr. K can take me then I will look at the other sites @Clematis suggested. I don't want to get my hopes up too high. As an added bonus....my friend with the RNY is looking in to revising to a DS....so meeting Dr K would be an amazing opportunity for him while we are there.....if we can make the insurance work.

Thank you all so very much!! I am so very blessed so have found this site and to have your support. No more bitching from me!!!!!
Good deal....and haha on the RnY friend and seeing Dr K... That is awesome. When I asked Dr K why he didn't do the RnY he said, "because all I did during my residency was fix failed RnY's". That being said, he is a nice guy and very polite about it and I am sure your friend can get a twofer with your visit.

@Amey@ you have fought hard to get to this point and I know you won't give up now, no matter what the obstacles. Hang in there and get your DS with either Dr. Simper or Dr. K, whoever works for you financially and logistically.
In the end, it's only money, and I love @Charris's line about no U-Haul following a hearse. I remember from years ago, someone who sold their house to pay for their DS. Your health is more important than any possession.

After advice from everyone on here and based in having the most technically difficult surgery (RnY to Ds) complicated by splenectomy 3 months prior and a prior diaphragm surgery my case was complex and I had major insurance issue and Dr K and his office handled it so smoothly. There are not enough words I can say to praise him and everyone in the hospital from admitting to nurses and everyone in between had nothing but good to say about him. My surgery was on a Friday and he showed up to the hospital on both Saturday and Sunday! After he released me to go home (I live in AZ) he gave me his cell phone number and told me to call or text anytime. I had to text him with an issue on a Sunday and felt weird doing so but was very concerned. He immediately responded. He is a phenomenal surgeon and human being. If you can make it work and get surgery by him I would do whatever it takes to make it happen.

Where did you stay while you were there?
I think I have everything worked out except for Dr Ks office to give the thumbs up and my insurance to okay changing surgeons...of course that's where the clincher is. If he says yes then I will climb the Sierras to get there. I'm not giving up... No way no how!

@Amey I'm not trying to come off as being an ass hole but you rather hear my nice version rather than one of the vets who you would know they were being an ass but with good reason. So here it is boo whoo cry me a river. You have to invest 4000 for a program fee and a few thousand to get a doctor where you would have a very competent surgeon if not one of the best. If your not worth it then go get an inferior surgeon to perform an inferior surgery that will produce inferior outcomes. You are being ridiculous with playing with you health. I've never see a u haul truck following a herse. Tough love dear. I came to these people acting desperate and hopeless making irresponsible decisions just like you are now. I was told by @DianaCox then go ahead but help the sight give someone your password so the can update us after you die so we can educate some one else who comes being stupid like you. Then @Elizabeth N. Told me boo whoo cry me a river she paid cash for her surgery I think like close to 20,000. You need to prioritize and stop being so darn inpatient and running around from Dr to dr looking for the easiest, cheapest, fastest way you can get surgery. A month or 2 wait won't kill you if you have to wait for a competent doctor regardless of the reason., but an incompetent doctor sure could kill you.

You mean there are Vets here who behave like assholes? Surely you jest. WAIT, stop pointing that mirror at me!!

Amey, Dr K operates at two hospitals. Verdugo Hills in Glendale and that is where his office is at, and then Huntington Memorial in Pasadena (Like 6 miles away I believe). USC Verdugo Hills is a small little hospital with all private rooms that is very easy to get in and out of (free parking) and Huntington is huge. I think they have private rooms as well, but it is a bit harder to get around. It is also newer. The Verdugo Hills rooms are small but I found it fine and it was easy for my wife to get to.

I think Kritaz told me she stayed at the Marriott by Huntington because she went there. We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Burbank and it was within a 3 block walk of a bunch of restaurants, mall and movie theater in a nice little boutique downtown area. It was like 5 miles from the Verdugo Hills and the commute was quite easy. We paid like $220 a night but it was a super nice room and the free breakfast was really good. Great outdoor area as well with pool, hot tub and lawn area with lots of tables and seating.

The Homeaway type rentals make sure you check total price because the cleaning fee they charge varies all over the map from $75 to $500, and also before booking anything check with a local to make sure the neighborhood is good. You don't get free breakfast but you have a condo or house with full kitchen so your friend can cook an keep stuff in the fridge (you aren't going to be doing a bunch of eating after your surgery so more for your liquids and for her to eat.

Best of luck

Latest posts

Back