Updated: Livid!! Am I just being irrational? Now APPROVED!

You mean there are Vets here who behave like assholes? Surely you jest. WAIT, stop pointing that mirror at me!!
My wife said something to me one time when she may have been less than happy with me (and I am sure it will shock Larra that she said this since she has met my wife) but she said, "You're and asshole and all your friends know it as well"! My retort, "and your point"?

:D:D:D:D so I don't know what this assholio stuff is that you speak of? :D

What you said @Spiky Bugger....I went to Dr. K's site and went to the financing tab. And I was approved through LendingUSA for what I hope will be enough to cover everything including the hotel and food for a friend. The interest rate is OUTFUCKINGRAGEOUS!!!! (Dave Ramsey wouldn't be happy but too bad) And....like you said...if it was to save my son's life I wouldn't even flinch. I feel good about this....It's a good thing I'm not going to be eating much for the next few years so I can make that payment lol. I just need to hear back from Dr. K's office to see if they can get my provider moved. Does anyone have any advice that had to travel? Where do you stay? Eat? Now I've got myself in a tither and I just need to calm down and breathe!!!! UGH!!!!

Woman! You are making me diazepam deficient! :wall:

Look...the problem here is twofold...that we don't have a medical system in this country that serves everyone well...remember THAT next time you vote...and that you don't have the money sitting around at your disposal. And no matter how hysterical you become, that ain't changing right away. So, (what @Charris was warning you about), calm the fuck down! We all have our issues. I once lived in a corner of a garage, so I get it. But if you want the best surgery, with the best surgeons, and you haven't paid for a "best" insurance policy, then you will have to do what you just did.

Frankly, part of that $4000 program fee is most likely to hire people to answer non-stop phone calls. No...I really mean that. (You are not the only one with a spastic dialing finger and if the doctor takes the calls, he won't have time to cut.)

Btw, my insurance paid for almost all of my DS, but 14-15 years ago, I paid ten grand cash, plus business class airfare to Monterrey, Mexico, plus hotel, taxi, etc for the lousy LapBand. If you have found a way to get by for less than that, for a superior surgery, you are ahead of the game.

BUT....six months post op, you will feel better, look better and maybe get a job that will allow you to pay it off sooner. I hope there is no pre-payment penalty or Rule of 78 bullshit on that loan.

I don't know how it works in Glendale, but...in Delano, in an old hospital, with a VERY Mexican (Mexicans don't SEND family to a hospital, they TAKE them, and stay there) population, there were one-bed rooms with Murphy beds. Same as in Monterrey, in a very upscale area.

That meant that my husband did not need a hotel room. He stayed with me. Probably not the same in Glendale...but maybe?

Anyway, you don't need your friend pre-op. You could have her arrive the day you are scheduled to be discharged. That would save hotel and meal $$ for several days.

Where did you stay while you were there?
I think I have everything worked out except for Dr Ks office to give the thumbs up and my insurance to okay changing surgeons...of course that's where the clincher is. If he says yes then I will climb the Sierras to get there. I'm not giving up... No way no how!
My surgery was at Huntington and it is a private room and you can have someone stay with you there which can save on several days of hotel bills. We stayed a few places... Days inn in Glendale ( it was older and a little dingy but in expensive) and the Marriott which was like a half mile from the hospital in Pasadena very nice but more spends I wanna say 200ish.

I don't know how it works in Glendale, but...in Delano, in an old hospital, with a VERY Mexican (Mexicans don't SEND family to a hospital, they TAKE them, and stay there) population, there were one-bed rooms with Murphy beds. Same as in Monterrey, in a very upscale area.

That meant that my husband did not need a hotel room. He stayed with me. Probably not the same in Glendale...but maybe?

Anyway, you don't need your friend pre-op. You could have her arrive the day you are scheduled to be discharged. That would save hotel and meal $$ for several days.
Verdugo Hills rooms are very small. If somebody stays, it is sleeping in a chair. The Children's hospital of Illinois here in Peoria where the St Jude Midwest Afiliate is at and where Cameron spent 6 months in 2011, has huge state of the art rooms where a king bed would fit. I spent many a night there on the pull out couch. Verdugo is the opposite but I got very good care and will be going out again soon

My surgery was at Huntington and it is a private room and you can have someone stay with you there which can save on several days of hotel bills. We stayed a few places... Days inn in Glendale ( it was older and a little dingy but in expensive) and the Marriott which was like a half mile from the hospital in Pasadena very nice but more spends I wanna say 200ish.

Is it your insurance that determines which hospital?

Amey, Dr K operates at two hospitals. Verdugo Hills in Glendale and that is where his office is at, and then Huntington Memorial in Pasadena (Like 6 miles away I believe). USC Verdugo Hills is a small little hospital with all private rooms that is very easy to get in and out of (free parking) and Huntington is huge. I think they have private rooms as well, but it is a bit harder to get around. It is also newer. The Verdugo Hills rooms are small but I found it fine and it was easy for my wife to get to.

I think Kritaz told me she stayed at the Marriott by Huntington because she went there. We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Burbank and it was within a 3 block walk of a bunch of restaurants, mall and movie theater in a nice little boutique downtown area. It was like 5 miles from the Verdugo Hills and the commute was quite easy. We paid like $220 a night but it was a super nice room and the free breakfast was really good. Great outdoor area as well with pool, hot tub and lawn area with lots of tables and seating.

The Homeaway type rentals make sure you check total price because the cleaning fee they charge varies all over the map from $75 to $500, and also before booking anything check with a local to make sure the neighborhood is good. You don't get free breakfast but you have a condo or house with full kitchen so your friend can cook an keep stuff in the fridge (you aren't going to be doing a bunch of eating after your surgery so more for your liquids and for her to eat.

Best of luck

Huntington isn't all that new...I was born there...almost 70 years ago! Lol

@Spiky Bugger - no prepayment penalty on the loan..... I asked 3 times lol. And I haven't accepted it yet... I am waiting to hear from Dr Ks office first. And the hospital would have to be in network with my insurance.

My friend is a guy... No he is not my boyfriend....but he has been a very close dear friend for over 5 years. He is one of my best friends. I didn't even have to ask him to go with me he just offered. He's a pretty great guy.

Thank you all for the great advice on lodging. I think until I hear from Dr K and until I know if my ins will allow me to change providers that looking at lodging would be premature. Summer rates will be high and it will all depend on dates anyway. I'm going to table this until I get some confirmation. Funny story... The place I worked at a year ago, and was at for over 10 years, owned a Marriot in town. As an employee I was able to get those 200 a night rooms for 20 bucks.

I'm much more calm tonight..... Peaceful even.... Which is rare for me. I will know more in the coming days and of course I will let everyone know.

I just looked up those two hospitals on my insurance's website. Huntington is in network and a Blue Distinction hospital... Meaning is a preferred hospital. Verdugo Hills is not in Network. So.... Dr K and Huntington hospital are in my network. Please send swinging critters and prayers that my insurance company will let me change doctors.

Is it your insurance that determines which hospital?
Both were in network facilities for me with Anthem BCBS. The reason I chose Verdugo Hills is that Dr K has many more available OR slots there so kristina was able to get me into VHH faster than at Huntington. It was a few weeks difference.

Huntington isn't all that new...I was born there...almost 70 years ago! Lol
Lol.....

We went to their ER with Cameron after his surgery because VHH got really bad reviews. Maybe that part was new or recently overhauled because it looked brand new. It reminds me a great deal of OSF St Francis in Peoria which very old with some new and some refurbished parts.. It has roughly 700 beds and is a series of connected buildings.

Huntington is like a resort. The rooms are huge. It actually looks like a resort from the outside. I got excellent service and compassion from everyone including the cleaning people. But guess what at Verdugo the rooms were small. The hospital is a site for sore eyes but I got equally as great service and compassion at Verdugo. I'd go back to either in a heart beat. If I had someone staying with me I would try for Huntington because the rooms are spacious enough to accommodate that comfortably.

Edit spelling

Last edited:
@Amey just curious did you do a psychological for surgery? If not you should. I know most of us complain about the $375 the generally cost out of our pocket for the evaluation for weight loss surgery. I was happy I had mines both times. In 2000 with RNY and 2013 with revision to DS. They told me and the doctor before the surgery that I would suffer from anxiety and would need medication to deal with the issue. My x husband's was also correct about him IT stated he would go into a deep depression and would need medication and therapy to deal with his issues regarding the surgery.

I can really see you driving yourself and your doctor crazy before having the surgery let alone after you have already had it.

I had a psych eval in July last year and in October while I was trying to get approval. I had to do the first one because I was trying to get approval for a band to DS revision. I only got approval for the band removal. So when I started the process to just do the DS they made me get the psych eval again....different doctor. Both cleared me without a hitch.

Latest posts

Back