Updated: Livid!! Am I just being irrational? Now APPROVED!

Amey

I need to vent... And I need rational people to tell me if I'm being irrational. Sooo I went to see the surgeon today... The one that had me on the table on the 2nd and cancelled my surgery because she just barely read my file and realized I take estrogen as a HRT. Yea that one. The office has only returned 1 phone call since the 2nd.... And I have called about every other day leaving messages. So I thought making an appt would work better. Nope! She changed the rules again. Now... Not only do I have to get thrown in to a tornado of menopause but I am REQUIRED to lose 40 pounds in a month. That's right... 40 pounds. And no.... There is no surgery date at the end of that month. In fact she point blank told me they can't guarantee that they could even get the proctor here before July when my insurance authorization expires. She wants me to start the liver shrinking diet immediately. And she said 'if you want it bad enough you will lose the 40 pounds'..... And' just look at yourself you're bigger than you were 3 weeks ago'..... No shit... I had hormones 3 weeks ago!! And she says I have to meet with the NUT every week. I bawled all the way home. It feels like it's just 1 stall tactic after another. Like I'm going to go on the liver shrinking diet indefinitely?? I never even lost 40 pounds in 1 month with my band! And possibly have my authorization expire? For nothing?!? I asked the nurse if I needed to look for another surgeon... She said it was up to me. No support or encouragement.... Nothing!! Oh.... And according to them it is possible to lose 40 pounds in 1 month 'because ONE woman lost 50 pounds.... But she was a lot bigger than you'. I am livid!!! I don't know what to do... Do I call Dr Simper and throw myself at his mercy and pray that my insurance will let me change surgeons after I had to appeal to the Dept of Insurance to get their denial overturned?? He has a $500 program fee that I don't have right now because I wasn't expecting this and I just paid almost $700 for my son's graduation stuff. Do I play her game and hope I get a date before my authorization runs out? Or beg Simper to take me?? Help!!!

Amey, I don't know what to say. The people that I've heard of losing 50 lbs in one month are generally huge people, I mean like 500-600 lb people. You aren't in that category. I would hope that if you make a good faith effort and see the nutritionist as instructed, that would be sufficient, but of course I don't know for sure.
I'm wondering if the whole thing is because the proctor just isn't available to her right now. If that's the case, I don't know why she couldn't just tell you that and assure you that as soon as she knows a date when he will be available the office will call you right away. So I don't know what's going on. If you do decide to go to Dr. Simper, your approval should work with him. You could call your insurance and ask, leaving out all the gory details and just saying that this surgeon can't offer you a date in a timely manner.
@DianaCox may have something more forceful to say, as she often does.

This woman sounds completely unprofessional. The first oversight could be forgiven, but to continue to not respond to your requests and change the rules to add additional hoops at this late stage seems cruel as well as incompetent.

You're not being irrational; best of luck getting someone else to see you sooner.

I would be looking for another surgeon. That is utterly ridiculous. I'd beg, borrow or steal the $500 program fee and go with an experienced surgeon who doesn't do this bullshit.

It sounds to me like your current surgeon is deliberately trying to push you away. You wouldn't go after a man who treated you like this - why would you allow a doctor to treat you this way? FIND THE $500 AND GO TO SIMPER!!

Thank you all! I can get the $500 between credit cards and borrowing a little from my son who offered before I even said anything. First thing tomorrow I'm calling Dr Simper's office. I'm praying Christine is there abs and can get the ball rolling. I really wanted it to work out with Dr Medvetz..... But if she can't be supportive before surgery and demand I do unhealthy things then how can I trust her to be supportive and keep me safe afterwards? I can't. I have come too far to be treated like this way from the surgeon that 3 weeks ago had me on the table ready to operate... And they never even weighed me that day. It's just too much piled up. Praying Dr Simper will take me on.

What does she think, that you're a contestant on The Biggest Loser? She's the big loser, I think Diana is right, get thee away from her craziness, whatever her motive may be!

Amey I hope you get in to Simper. Just to make sure you have a back up plan I would suggest that you send an email to Kristina at Dr Ks office to explain your situation and see if they do accept your plan and what if any fee there would be. I know from a geographic perspective you want to get in in with Simper and I hope you do, but good to have plan c in your pocket now that plan A is being unprofessional and frankly a real Assbag.

Best wishes to you

Wow... You are there and then back here lol. I will reach out to Dr K. Do you have the email that you could post for me?

I believe I read that Dr. K has a $3,500 out of pocket fee. Plus, travel expenses might make it a bit more expensive.

I hope you are able to get things to work out with Dr. Simper. Didn't you try his office earlier or, was that someone else? Be cool with his office people, nod and smile. You will get this!

well sum bitch @Amey - sounds to me like you whizzed them off and this is their power play. The fact they were not calling you back is the first symptom. I can just here the back story - "Oh that lady called again. . . ."
Yep, jump ship if at all possible. You have been thru enough to let your approval expire over some Dr or Dr. office people power play. My thoughts are with you!

You embarrassed her big time in front of the proctor she had flown in when, prepped for surgery, the proctor probably saw the HRT on the chart and said no way. In her delusional mind, this was your fault. Also your fault is that she realizes she cannot get the proctor back in time for your insurance expiration causing further professional embarrassment. So she is blaming you and setting the impossible atonement of 40# in one month which she knows you cannot do. Instead of writing "I fucked up," she will write "non-compliant" in your chart, you will fade away and the problem is now solved.

So hell yeah. I'd be homicidal, not just livid.

Get another surgeon. She's dead to you.

You embarrassed her big time in front of the proctor she had flown in when, prepped for surgery, the proctor probably saw the HRT on the chart and said no way. In her delusional mind, this was your fault. Also your fault is that she realizes she cannot get the proctor back in time for your insurance expiration causing further professional embarrassment. So she is blaming you and setting the impossible atonement of 40# in one month which she knows you cannot do. Instead of writing "I fucked up," she will write "non-compliant" in your chart, you will fade away and the problem is now solved.

So hell yeah. I'd be homicidal, not just livid.

Get another surgeon. She's dead to you.
^^^^^What she said!

Latest posts

Back