Surgery scheduled with Dr. Esquerra

no, I had Dr. Aceves who sadly is no longer alive. in fact, I didn't see any of the doctors from when I was there.

I have nothing but good things to say about the hospital and all the staff there - the video was interesting, do we know the patient?

the driver in the video? he used to weight a lot more when I saw him, he has had a VSG himself since then!

Last edited:
  • Back from Mexicali and doing well

Published by michelle vasey in the blog michelle vasey's blog. Views: 1

Hi everyone,

I had my DS surgery with Dr. Ungson in Mexicali on 9/25/18. The whole experience was very good and the care top of the line. I was up and walking the same day but really did need the addition 4 nights to recover with nursing assistance and pain management. I flew back home on Saturday and am now convalescing at my mom's house for the next week. All in all, doing very well. Pain level is about a 3 and I am certainly experiencing gas pains which make it difficult to lay my head back very far. Still, so much better than I could have imagined.

I have now been on clear liquids for a week. I stocked up on PROTEIN20 clear waters which have 15-20 grams of protein per serving so I am trying to drink 4 per day. I also have protein enriched bone broth.

There were differing instructions between what the Mexicali Bariatric Hospital, MBH, recommended for intake and what US based DS surgeons, such as Dr. Rabkin, recommend post surgery. Mainly, MBH does not have you adding ANY semi solid food such as apple sauce, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, yogurt, etc. until after 10 days. The other school of thought is to add these food as early as day 2 post op. I think I will experiment with very small volumes at different meals and see how my body feels afterwards. You thoughts are appreciated.

I am so excited to finally be Post Op and starting my journey. My starting weight was 236 and I am down to 224. I realize this is a lot of water weight but don't care! It just makes me happy!

All my best,

Michelle

I'm glad to hear you are home and it went to well!
are you getting in enough fluids without problem?

MBH does not have you adding ANY semi solid food such as apple sauce, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, yogurt, etc. until after 10 days.
I found I didn't want any solids so I didn't have to decide what to do. but my first thought is, you went to a lot of trouble to find a good surgeon at a good hospital - I would follow their advice for immediate post-op eating. it's such a short period of time and will be over before you know it.

hope things continue to go well and welcome to the Good side!

Welcome to the Dark Side...

Okay, IF you do attempt soft, eat one bite, and then wait an hour or so before attempting another bite. No more than one food a day...example, the yogurt...avoid anything with fruit pieces in it at a min. Pick a flavor and eat that small container over the course of a day or two while sticking with fluids. Don't mix foods yet.

Remember your job this month is to stay hydrated, walk around the house, and rest.

Congratulations, and great decision to move forward with surgery and with your life. Your health and quality of life are worth far more than any amount of money. Go slowly with solids, stay hydrated, and you will do great.

Hi everyone,
I am now 2 weeks post op and am healing very well. My wounds are closed. I am also down 22lbs! I have been getting about 50 grams of protien in through bone broth and Genepro and 50-60 fluid ounces of liquid.=. I have started a couple of spoons of yogurt, apple sauce and pureed soups. I am dying for something fresh but will try to hold off for another week. I am back to work half time as of yesterday. I get tired very easily, I'm sure that is because of my low calorie intake at this point.
I have a follow up appointment with the Kaiser Bariatric team in San Jose, who seems to be the only unit taking care of DS patients. I had 10 vials of blood drawn for labs yesterday. 10 vials. At least they are picking up with my after care.
Can I get a recommendation for a phone app to track both my protein and fluid intake as well as the vitamin supplements I need to get started on soon? So far, I can't swallow pills except the tiniest. As a matter of fact, I haven't taken my usual medications since the surgery.
Thanks for all the well wishes and support,
Michelle

Congratulations on your successful procedure. I just used a spreadsheet to keep track of protein, fluids etc early on. It's been years for me, so now these are all just engrained habits! Please stay hydrated and take it easy. All the best!

Latest posts

Back