Squats and lunges

Georgepds

Here's what Harvard Health has to say about squats... There are several other exercises listed in the link.

Am I worried about bone loss? Well, just a bit. Bariatric surgery, and age, and, for some of us, gender, make us more susceptible. But mostly I like feeling stronger

There is something satisfying about twitching the (ahem) glutes. Couldn't do that a month ago... BTW, I don't use dumbells, but I do 3 sets of 10, and have begun holding the squat at the bottom for a few seconds. Each little bit helps

"....One of our greatest fears as we get older is that we will break a hip, an event that can cause permanent disability, depression, and the need for long-term care. Women are twice as likely as men to suffer a hip fracture, partly because we have a greater risk for osteoporosis, a condition that weakens bones....

Dumbbell squat

Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold a weight in each hand, with your arms at your sides, palms facing inward. Slowly bend your knees and lower your buttocks 8 inches or more (but do not allow the hips to sink below knee level). Pause. Slowly return to the starting position. Do 8–15 repetitions. Rest. Repeat the set. When you're ready for more: Increase the weight. You may also try this exercise holding the hand weights at ear level, just above the shoulders...."

"