Saying hello...

RoniGirl

Decision made! I am starting my journey and stopping by to say hello. HELLO! I go to the nutritionist on Monday. I have been approved for DS. I will be researching DS vs GP to make sure I am making the correct decision. I am a bit nervous.

Roni

Welcome! Everybody gets nervous. You'll be fine... as long as you do not get the butchery known as Roux en Y (RNY, GP). Get the DS -- the REAL DS with two anastomoses. Ask the surgeon: "A real DS with two anastomoses, correct? No SADI, SIPS, Loop DS." Get it in writing.

Welcome!
It is my understanding that your surgeon does not do the real DS. He does the SADI/aka SIPS/aka loop DS and calls it a DS. They are NOT the same. there are already some excellent and very detailed threads on this subject on this website so I won't get into all the details here, except to say that you need to educate yourself about these different operations and make very sure you are getting what you think you are getting.
If, after you learn the differences between the DS and the SADI you for some reason want the SADI, fine, that's your decision. But make that decision with the knowledge that all the long term data about the excellent results of the DS for excess weight loss, maintaining that weight loss, and resolution of comorbidities applies only to the classic, 2 anastomosis DS and not to the SADI, for which long term data are not known. also keep in mind that converting from the SADI to the DS if the SADI doesn't work out is not always possible (not that anyone wants to think in terms of a second operation anyway).
So you've come to the right place to learn more, ask questions, and make this decision. And if you do want a real honest to goodness DS, Dr. Dennis Smith in your state would be a good choice. He has an excellent reputation.

Welcome! Everybody gets nervous. You'll be fine... as long as you do not get the butchery known as Roux en Y (RNY, GP). Get the DS -- the REAL DS with two anastomoses. Ask the surgeon: "A real DS with two anastomoses, correct? No SADI, SIPS, Loop DS." Get it in writing.

I will find out and make sure on Monday's appointment. Thank you very much!

Welcome!
It is my understanding that your surgeon does not do the real DS. He does the SADI/aka SIPS/aka loop DS and calls it a DS. They are NOT the same. there are already some excellent and very detailed threads on this subject on this website so I won't get into all the details here, except to say that you need to educate yourself about these different operations and make very sure you are getting what you think you are getting.
If, after you learn the differences between the DS and the SADI you for some reason want the SADI, fine, that's your decision. But make that decision with the knowledge that all the long term data about the excellent results of the DS for excess weight loss, maintaining that weight loss, and resolution of comorbidities applies only to the classic, 2 anastomosis DS and not to the SADI, for which long term data are not known. also keep in mind that converting from the SADI to the DS if the SADI doesn't work out is not always possible (not that anyone wants to think in terms of a second operation anyway).
So you've come to the right place to learn more, ask questions, and make this decision. And if you do want a real honest to goodness DS, Dr. Dennis Smith in your state would be a good choice. He has an excellent reputation.

Thank you. I was not aware of the differences. I've been learning all day. I have read multiple studies and researched the MD as well. I was apprehensive about going to Celebration because I know so many people that work there. Now that I understand more I am cancelling the appointment that I have Monday and calling Dr. Smith's office. I really appreciate your help. Once I have recovered, protein shakes on me!

Welcome RoniGirl:)
Congratulations! ! You are CERTAINLY in the right place for the best possible information and education. These folks know their stuff!! Good luck on your journey!!
~K~

Latest posts

Back