Realistic Goals and Personal Responsibility

Then again, I’m on the other side of the coin. My common channel is 175 because I was an extreme lightweight, 35.2, when I had my surgery and my surgeon said 175-200. I got him to agree to 175.

Three years ago, at 5’4, I weighed 127. I now weigh at 5’3 118-119. I’m fighting to avoid losing more. I’m 70 and apparently I’m in the 25% of the elderly who lose weight for no known reason.
How are you feeling at the lower weight? Also can share how much protein you’re able to get in a day? With the SADI I would get 120 g of protein about 60-70 g of fat but I didn’t have any bathroom issues. I know I will have to up my fats. My nutritionists said for me to get 80-90g of protein advising that I really don’t need more than that because I would just pee it out. I just smiled and nodded. Didn’t feel like correcting her about the malabsorption part of my surgery.

How are you feeling at the lower weight? Also can share how much protein you’re able to get in a day? With the SADI I would get 120 g of protein about 60-70 g of fat but I didn’t have any bathroom issues. I know I will have to up my fats. My nutritionists said for me to get 80-90g of protein advising that I really don’t need more than that because I would just pee it out. I just smiled and nodded. Didn’t feel like correcting her about the malabsorption part of my surgery.
Unfortunately I’m having to drink a protein water to maintain a 7 on my labs and every time something happens my protein nosedives. And I’m back at square one. Eating has been problematic for me in recent weeks, that’s why the reliance on protein waters (I hate shakes this late in the game).

How much you need is based on your protein lab found on your CMP. Your nutritionists is absolutely nuts! Follow your labs not her advice.

Oh wow, so sorry to hear that! I’m certainly wishing you good health!

Yes, as far as the nutritionist I’ve been smiling and nodding since I met her last year when she gave me the same advice for the SADI procedure. My protein is 7.5 based on my most recent labs. I will likely have to get more than 120 g now to keep it there. Is 8 the desired goal for all TDS patients and is it possible to keep it there? I know you mentioned yours drops depending on some other things going on.

Oh wow, so sorry to hear that! I’m certainly wishing you good health!

Yes, as far as the nutritionist I’ve been smiling and nodding since I met her last year when she gave me the same advice for the SADI procedure. My protein is 7.5 based on my most recent labs. I will likely have to get more than 120 g now to keep it there. Is 8 the desired goal for all TDS patients and is it possible to keep it there? I know you mentioned yours drops depending on some other things going on.
7 and above is ideal. Mine was 7.8 the day I had my heart attack. When they pulled the CMP, it had dropped to 6.1 and I was eating protein and drinking protein waters.

When you have surgery or a major issue, your body pulls on your protein stores to heal. If we are on the low side of 7, we run the chance of going too low.

Oh my! A heart attack? I’ve read the DS contract before my SADI surgery. I know we must be vigilant with our health. I want to learn how to read my vitamin results and not depend on or take the word of the doctor.

Oh my! A heart attack? I’ve read the DS contract before my SADI surgery. I know we must be vigilant with our health. I want to learn how to read my vitamin results and not depend on or take the word of the doctor.
We can help. With most of your labs, you want them in mid to high normal. There are exceptions, like B6 and PTH. We want those on the low side of midrange.

ALT/AST values tend to go above normal in the early years while we shed fat. That’s one reason we’re told not to drink in those same early years. The liver is stressed by the fat you’re losing and it doesn’t need the double whammy of processing alcohol at the same time.

Your doctor just looks for highs and lows. We look at trends. And how close to low, not just low. Example, D range is 30-100. A doctor will only worry if you are under 30. For us, we need to be between 80-100. I’ll tag you in Dr. K’s webinar on Vitamin d that’s posted here.

It takes time but it’s doable. Best line to learn when a doctor tells you are taking too much of something, are my lab levels too high? If not how are my levels toxic?

Latest posts

Back