Question about carbs ... Little confused

Honeybeeblue

Hello everyone

I am a little confused about carbs. My doctor sent me home with a guideline of how much I need to eat. I have been eating complex carbs which he recommended 60g a day. While reading blogs some people are eating 30g or less. Also I was looking at some recipes people post and found that people where eating simple carbs as well eg tortilla. How do I deal with this and what's the take on this ? All the help in this subject will be helpful. I do realize that all simple Carbs are absorbed by ds patients. Thanks

When was your surgery? I planned to stay under 50 from the get go, but even with eating some carby foods during the full liquids and purée phases I never got over 30 because I didn't have the room. If you're very early out and can get 60g of carbs, you're probably taking space away from protein.

IMHO 60 carbs of any kind is too much during weight loss period. I stayed pretty much under 30 per day with one day per week where I went a little crazier, up to 100. That seemed to help jolt the system and keep my body from thinking it was starving.

You really do need to keep your limited tummy room for protein. The carbs should be used on protein carriers. I used mine for a little applesauce with my pork. Or some cocktail sauce with my shrimp. Or a spoon of relish in my tuna salad. Side carbs helped perk up the steady protein taste and added variety.

After 9 months I began adding a few complex carbs after I knew my protein was reached

First off, it depends on if you are counting full carbs like me or net carbs like many do.

For info on full versus net carbs: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/carb-confusion.1017/

Full carbs, 60-70 a day is about right for the weight loss phase. I am now in maint and eat about 100-120 a day.

But if going net carbs, then yeah 60 is a bit high.

But the easiest way is to eat protein first and then if you have room left, maybe carbs.

Hey
I am post op for three months. I am taking a total of 30-40 carbs a day. My question is more about simple carbs and if people are eating them or not. I got tuna snack kits and they come with. Crackers and wondering if I can eat them Or not is an example Of my problem. Thanks for the replies.

Oooooh, I'm sorry, I thought you were a few weeks out from surgery from your initial question. No expert here, but I've read people say they eat things like that in small quantities as long as it's a vehicle for good protein. I don't, though, unless they're low carb/multigrain.

Carbs, all of them, are your enemy till you are 10% below goal(to accommodate bounceback). Every carb you don't eat is a good thing.

In the end, how strict you need to be depends on how well you are losing and how much you have to lose. Reach goal then worry about carbs.

Hey
I am post op for three months. I am taking a total of 30-40 carbs a day. My question is more about simple carbs and if people are eating them or not. I got tuna snack kits and they come with. Crackers and wondering if I can eat them Or not is an example Of my problem. Thanks for the replies.
--
Ah okay. When I was where you are now, I would have eaten like one or maybe two of the crackers in the snack kit, just enough to help get the tuna down. I did not and still do not count carbs. Instead I focused on protein intake, not permitting myself to eat other foods until I could consume 30 grams of animal source protein in a sitting--except for sauces and the occasional bite of an accompaniment like a veggie or cracker that helped get the protein down.

My plan is to not eat any carby foods, bread, rice, etc until at least a year out. I figure if I know that I can have them again eventually I will be able to hold off. We shall see.

Hey

I am just over 3 months out too. I try to limit my carbs to under 50 grams per day. I also try to limit those carbs to complex carbs. No white flour, white rice etc. I don't want the reaction that the simple carbs can give. I still suffer from the broccoli, cabbage, kale and tomatoes that I eat. :oops:

@Honeybeeblue , I refrain from eating anything with flour in it. I do this because it bloats me horribly. I rarely eat potatoes, rice, beans, corn, or other carbs either. I find that my digestive system does magnificently when I FIRST eat my protein, then indulge in the "naughty" foods I still crave. Like Nutella, almond-flour substituted for flour in baked goods, and other sweets. I eat chocolate every day. I'm over 4 years out and have always eaten this way. Occasionally, I will indulge and maybe eat a cinnamon roll or cake. The agony of the bloat is enough to make me regret it, however, and I always "TiVo" it so I don't crop dust anyone accidentally.

I never count carbs and never have. I hover nicely at my current weight.

Latest posts

Back