Seeking Advice

StormyWeather

Hello all!

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone that has contributed to this board, because it has been an incredible learning tool to help me along, especially the posts about the Three-Week Stall. I was afraid at one month out, I had already broken my surgery. Thankfully, reading everything clarified things for me and yes, I have already put the scale away!

I am getting a minimum of 84 ounces of water per day, usually more, but I stop keeping track after I hit the 84 mark. I was following my nutritionist’s advice about low fat, however I started having pretty bad issues with constipation, so I upped the fat, based on the posts I read here and how DS’ers need it. It has helped considerably, which is why I am now seeking advice about carbs. The nutritionist wants me to start adding some in, but I wanted to know what the DS Vets here do? Are you no carb or just very low carb? And what does that even mean? 20 grams? 30? I just need a little clarification on that part.

I want to make sure I am doing this right, especially since this is my chance for a do-over from the RNY that was an epic failure for me. And on an awesome side note, all the horrible side effects I had from the RNY, appear to be gone. Even if I stopped losing weight today (which I really hope I don’t!), the surgery would still be worth it just for that.

Thank you for reading and any advice!

The best advice I can offer is to make the most of your rapid weight loss phase, because it doesn't last forever. So I would say you don't have to be zero carb, which is neigh unto impossible anyway, but keep them as low as possible for now and just focus on getting in enough protein, which isn't easy at first, staying hydrated (you are doing a great job!) and don't worry about fat intake because you only absorb about 20% of the fat you consume. You are being given gastric bypass oriented advice, something that happens all the time because many nutritionists don't know that the DS is different. All bariatric surgeries tend to get lumped together, but really they aren't at all the same.

The only good carb is one you don't eat. Be VERY low carb till you are 10% below your goal. Almost everyone has some bounce back. Right now, just lose the weight. As much as you can as fast as you can.

Me personally, I had one HELL of a time reaching a normal BMI and even today I live on 20 to 30 carbs a day. So I think for me it has to be the rest of my life. I do have holidays and out of town vacations as cheat days when I eat exactly as I please. Other than that I am pretty strict.

I suppose…a KETO-type diet is the closest to what we can/should eat.

Maybe. Very low carb. Lots of protein, and no big worries about the fats in those proteins.

But I’m usually wrong on these things.

Congratulations! Definitely maximize the weight loss windows. Also, take photos periodically - close up of face/neck and full length. Sometimes they're a more accurate gauge of progress than the scale. Look to develop good habits now around protein and vitamins. And enjoy!

Latest posts

Back