Please tell me I won't smell following DS surgery!

Jen-2

I had my final pre-op appt today w Dr. Greenbaum. While there I was talking with one of the ladies who works in his office. She chose to have RNY surgery a few years ago. When I asked why she chose RNY over the DS she said she's noticed that some DS patients have a smell about them following surgery. She described it as a sour cabbage smell. She said it's not all of them but definitely some of them. She went on to say that the smell issue combined w the number of patients with bathroom issues scared her away from the DS and were her reasons for choosing the RNY.

I know the bathroom issues are related to diet. But what about the smell issue? Has anyone experienced this? I'm praying it's diet related bc I can't live w having a foul smell for the rest of my life!

Thanks SB -but she was talking long term smell unique to DS patients bc it was a deciding factor for her.

I didn't panic bc I haven't encountered a permanent or persistent foul odor in my research BUT she's worked in his office for years and obviously is exposed to a large number of WLS patients so it definitely gave me pause.

I didn't panic bc I haven't encountered a permanent or persistent foul odor in my research BUT she's worked in his office for years and obviously is exposed to a large number of WLS patients so it definitely gave me pause.

I've not heard or read about that in any of my research either.

I had my final pre-op appt today w Dr. Greenbaum. While there I was talking with one of the ladies who works in his office. She chose to have RNY surgery a few years ago. When I asked why she chose RNY over the DS she said she's noticed that some DS patients have a smell about them following surgery. She described it as a sour cabbage smell. She said it's not all of them but definitely some of them. She went on to say that the smell issue combined w the number of patients with bathroom issues scared her away from the DS and were her reasons for choosing the RNY.

I know the bathroom issues are related to diet. But what about the smell issue? Has anyone experienced this? I'm praying it's diet related bc I can't live w having a foul smell for the rest of my life!
It's also possible SHE has a super sniffer. And can smell a fart 10 miles away!

Don''t worry, they don't touch your nose in WLS! Your olfactory sense should remain as good as ever. ;)

No complaints of odors have been made here, despite a set of family and friends with no self-censorship capabilities, at least outside of the bathroom (but that is why there is poo pourri). I've met a few DS'ers and didn't notice any off scents.

I suspect the complainant detected a faint whiff of a scent which can be present with ketosis, but if that happened it likely would be temporary during rapid weight loss. I suspect even ketosis wouldn't be readily apparent to most people.

I have noticed that bacteria from sweating in skin folds can result in BO for some - but WLS would likely improve or eliminate this. So wondering if pre-ops or early post ops in the office with skin fold bacterial issues might also be contributing to the scent?

@Spiky Bugger sometimes a lack of smell can be handy. :)

@hilary1617 cute joke. Lol

@Elizabeth N. It was his coordinator. The conversation surprised me - first, bc she chose RNY when the DS was available to her (that's my bias though now that I've decided on the DS over the RNY) and second, bc she was giving me her real life experience w a potential serious issue I hadn't heard about related to the DS right before I'm about to undergo the procedure. I'm pretty sure she coordinates all of his patients so she'd know their respective procedures. She did say she spoke to Dr. G about it but she didn't really explain his response. I asked if it was diet related and she said she didn't know but this was definitely one of the two reasons she chose not to go the DS route.

I've been reading back through some old OH threads where "odor" and the DS are discussed. I'm going to email Dr. G to see what he says about this.

that is very intersting, and a bit strange, reminds me of the dogs that can sniff out drugs and find them anywhere. I can't say anyone has said that to me. The odor I have heard about is from the nose and mouth and caused by fat breakdown, ketosis, but it is not a cabbage smell more a sweet smell like juicy fruit gum.

Yep. I wasn't going to name her on a public board. I guess my info that she was his coordinator was too specific. My mistake. Sorry Tina! Hope she doesn't mind her WLS is public. She discussed it freely so I don't think she'll mind.

My mum would tell me if I smelled. I had a carb heavy week and pooped at my parents house one day last week.
She said it smelled like something had crawled up my arse and died.
I know dsers in real life and have shared rooms.
Not met one yet who 'smells'.

Latest posts

Back