Periods and Hormones (men you've been warned lol)

DuodenalSwitchaRoo

Taking a long scenic route!
ok so pre DS I was fairly regular ( I have an app that tracks it)

Since my DS I missed one, then had 2 on time and this month I am late. I should have come on June 26th...and I spotted...once, barely on the 26th.

Im on 3x's the amount of birth control a normie would be on which has helped regulate me.

So my question is this: does the DS jack up your womanly schedule or am I in trouble?

Weight loss itself can mess with your womanly schedule, can't it? Some people's periods seems to get out of whack if they sneeze, lol. By trouble are you meaning could you be pregnant? If that is in question I would be finding that asap. My guess would be the weight loss though.

Weight loss itself can mess with your womanly schedule, can't it? Some people's periods seems to get out of whack if they sneeze, lol. By trouble are you meaning could you be pregnant? If that is in question I would be finding that asap. My guess would be the weight loss though.
It's HIGHLY unlikely with 3x birth control AND condoms but I'm paranoid as someone else less than a year out is preggo so it's been on my mind a lot. I'm hoping it's just the weight loss.

Roo- rapid weight loss, surgical or not, will throw off your cycle. Weight gain will throw it off in a different way, but I think maybe we don't notice it the same since it happens more gradually. I hadn't had my period in several years before surgery. I was on birth control for a long time and then I stopped and it never came, I think I was just too heavy to ovulate or something, not sure since my doc never investigated. When I started my pre op diet and lost 20+ pounds in 2ish weeks, it came with a VENGEANCE! It's been wacky since then, nothing like it was my whole life, but each month it gets a little better, a little closer to normal. I'm not saying that what I'm experiencing is typical, but I'm just saying it can be normal for it to be wacky. That being said, get a pregnancy test to make sure. But also, maybe you don't need to be on 3x birth control anymore and that's too high a dose? After you know for sure you're not preggers, then talk to your gyno about adjusting your dose.

I've never been sure how well a DSer absorbs the pill and I imagine that the usual YMMV probably applies here, so I got a Mirena coil and don't have to put up with periods, remembering to take stuff or worrying about what I do or don't absorb.

True about the absorbtion as well. Of all the different pills my dr had me on (think of ALL the ones they have on those class action lawsuit commercials o_O) the nuvaring worked best for me. Insertion and removal weren't the most fun things ever, but I'd easily take that over trying to remember to take the pill everyday (which many times I didn't). Plus I had FAR fewer side effects than I did with all the others. The best part would be that you don't have to worry about absorption (sp?). There was debate on PB a while back about whether or not hormonal birth control works at all during the rapid loss stage, I don't know if that's true or not or for how long of a time frame. I'd like to know more, but not willing to go back there or engage with the person that seemed to know the most about it :rolleyes:

True about the absorbtion as well. Of all the different pills my dr had me on (think of ALL the ones they have on those class action lawsuit commercials o_O) the nuvaring worked best for me. Insertion and removal weren't the most fun things ever, but I'd easily take that over trying to remember to take the pill everyday (which many times I didn't). Plus I had FAR fewer side effects than I did with all the others. The best part would be that you don't have to worry about absorption (sp?). There was debate on PB a while back about whether or not hormonal birth control works at all during the rapid loss stage, I don't know if that's true or not or for how long of a time frame. I'd like to know more, but not willing to go back there or engage with the person that seemed to know the most about it :rolleyes:

I know who that is, he he he!

ok I took a test: negative. And now the floodgates have opened.

I can now explain why I was so freaked out. In Feb 2007, 2 days after getting married and 2 months after moving across the world, I was admitted to hospital with an ectopic pregnancy and only given a 25% chance of survival because of my size (I was 530ish at the time) If the methotrexate didn't work, they would have to operate and it didn't look good. Long teary goodbyes to my family and all.

And now I am on progesterone only birth control because oestrogen/hormonal birth control messes with me mega. And whilst the mini pill has been wonderful and has regulated me (until this month!) It also comes with a warning that if you do get pregnant there is a very high risk of it being ectopic...add to that I've already had one so more likely to have another and you have one freaked out ME!

I think my hormones are just JACKED. I haven't cramped this bad, or this long since I was a teenager. My boobs were sooooo sore...and this went one for 2 WEEKS. My pms has never lasted that long. And with pms comes not so perfect food choices....so I'm just a big fat mess. Don't think I've ever been so happy to have my period actually ARRIVE as I discharged for over a week.

So you see....there was more reasons I was freaking out than just being a newbie dser. That was actually the least of my worries. Thank fuck that test was negative....do not want to live through that hell again!

Phew! That's a crazy story and I'm happy you didn't have to worry about that again. I'm in a similar situation with longer and more severe PMS, longer and heavier periods, just not like my old self at all (the old self when I was normal, not when I put on so much weight that they stopped completely). I'm seeing a new doc this week, so hopefully she'll either tell me it's all normal with the weight loss or figure out what's going on. I'm still very angry that my old doc never tested me for PCOS, never even mentioned it until I thought I was hemorraging the week before surgery, but that's in the past now!

Sorry that you had to go through that. I hope that things will improve as time goes by.

My periods got much heavier and longer and I cramp a lot more now! I think it is part of the weight loss.

I had ablation and haven't had a period for over 5 years and started spotting today! FMR! Thought I was done forever with that crap.

Latest posts

Back