Managing Long distance travel for Revision

Settledownnow

Given that there are only a handful of RNY to DS surgeons a revision surgery for me (being in the mid-west) will involved a great deal of travel regardless of the surgeon. For those who have traveled how did you manage long air plane flights, sitting along time on the plane/airport, negotiating a huge airport, etc. post surgery with a drain and feeding tube and feeling sore? Drugs? (that is a joke!).

If I had surgery in CA my flight would be 8+ hours, if I can get one non-stop, plus waiting time in the airport, then another 1.5 hours home in the car.

Alternately, would you be comfortable using any of the RNY to DS surgeons on the list if it involved less travel? For example, Greenbaum, Elinary, and Ayoola would involve less travel time for me due to more direct flights. Would you be comfortable using any of them?

I'm not a revision patient, nor did I travel, but there are both here and I'm sure you'll get some answers. You'll need to work out pain meds and maybe a wheelchair? Do you have someone to travel with you?

Hi,
Yes, I do have someone to travel with me. I am going to just have to make some decisions about priorities. As I am trying to think though revision surgery and logistics I am thinking that long distance travel may put me at a higher risk for complications.

@GirlFriday thanks for the tip, but Dr. Inman does not do the RNY to DS revision surgery. I do wish she was an option. You must have had a great experience in order to recommend her which is good to know.

(edited for spelling error).

Last edited:
I personally don't know of anyone in Chicago that I would have do an RnY to DS revision.

Regarding travel, my oldest son had a complicated surgery (non weight loss but abdominal surgery) with Dr K (Keshshian) the first part of June. We live in the Peoria area and because tickets were cheap ($300 1 way for First Class seat) we flew out St Louis. The travel to and from was not bad. You can contact the airlines to have transportation take you from one gate to another if you can't get a direct flight). He was still in quite a bit of pain on way home a week later but the flight was fine for him.

FYI i am very close to scheduling a "revision"with Dr k. Mine is different in that I am having extreme malabsorbtion from my DS in September of 13 so he would be adjusting One or both of my alimentary limb/common channel.

There are lots of hotels within 10 minutes of Verdugo Hills and Huntington Memorial (operates at both. Verdugo hills is where his office is and is smaller and easier to get around for family but Huntington is much nicer)

I personally don't know of anyone in Chicago that I would have do an RnY to DS revision.

Are you saying that you checked out the U of Chicago surgeons and found that they do not meet your criteria? I'm just wondering, because it seems that most of the boards and fb groups are filled with people from the east & west coasts, but I don't read much about this area (around Chicago). Our surgeons aren't even on some of the lists, but this hospital in particular has done thousands of bariatric procedures and their program has been in existence for something like 20 years.

Are you saying that you checked out the U of Chicago surgeons and found that they do not meet your criteria? I'm just wondering, because it seems that most of the boards and fb groups are filled with people from the east & west coasts, but I don't read much about this area (around Chicago). Our surgeons aren't even on some of the lists, but this hospital in particular has done thousands of bariatric procedures and their program has been in existence for something like 20 years.
Actually there are a fair amount of midwesterners/fly over states folks on this site.

Here is the deal. You can ask others on this board and there is a list of surgeons on the board somewhere......but there are really only a few people who do revisions and have a good reputation.

I am having issues with malnutrition because my surgeon who is Director of Trauma at OSF St Francis (great cutter but not a full time WLS guy) does a cookie cutter DS with a 100 CM Common Channel and 150 CM Alimentary Limb. This works for many but the one sized fits all approach doesn't work for others. Dr K does what is called the Hess Method where you measure the total small bowel length and then make the CC 10% of that length and the AL approximately 40%. Small bowel length varies greatly so let's assume that I have a 900 CM small bowel. My CC should have been around 90 CM, but Dr K says they round up or down to the next 50CM mark so my 100 CM CC is probably okay, but my 150 CM AL would have been 360 CM (350CM). My AL is less than 50% of what it should have been according to the Hess Method and Dr K.

So I saw Dr Marshall yesterday and I asked him what he would do revision wise and his comment was, "we take the channel length of 100 CM times X, but we aren't engineers so we really don't know what X should be". He said that he would consult with Dr Prachant at University of Chicago but he doesn't subscribe to the Hess Method either.

For comparison sake regarding number of DS procedures and Revisions completed by each surgeon:

Dr Marshall I believe is in the 150-200 DS completed range, and he doesn't do many revisions.
Dr K has done 2,000 and possibly more virgin DS surgeries, or RnY to DS revisions with 500 of those being revisions.

Again, Dr Marshall is an excellent cutter, but Dr K has far more experience with the DS and revisions so I am going to trust his judgement on my case.

Does anybody in Chicago do revisions? Go to the ASMBS.org site and search it. You will find many who say they do. You will have to ask the people who have researched revision surgeons much more than I have to find out the reputation of any of these surgeons.

The RnY to DS or band to DS revision is a highly complicated surgery and you want the absolute best doing your procedure.

That is my two cents so take it for what you will.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and ultimately your revision.

Actually there are a fair amount of midwesterners/fly over states folks on this site.

Here is the deal. You can ask others on this board and there is a list of surgeons on the board somewhere......but there are really only a few people who do revisions and have a good reputation.

I am having issues with malnutrition because my surgeon who is Director of Trauma at OSF St Francis (great cutter but not a full time WLS guy) does a cookie cutter DS with a 100 CM Common Channel and 150 CM Alimentary Limb. This works for many but the one sized fits all approach doesn't work for others. Dr K does what is called the Hess Method where you measure the total small bowel length and then make the CC 10% of that length and the AL approximately 40%. Small bowel length varies greatly so let's assume that I have a 900 CM small bowel. My CC should have been around 90 CM, but Dr K says they round up or down to the next 50CM mark so my 100 CM CC is probably okay, but my 150 CM AL would have been 360 CM (350CM). My AL is less than 50% of what it should have been according to the Hess Method and Dr K.

So I saw Dr Marshall yesterday and I asked him what he would do revision wise and his comment was, "we take the channel length of 100 CM times X, but we aren't engineers so we really don't know what X should be". He said that he would consult with Dr Prachant at University of Chicago but he doesn't subscribe to the Hess Method either.

For comparison sake regarding number of DS procedures and Revisions completed by each surgeon:

Dr Marshall I believe is in the 150-200 DS completed range, and he doesn't do many revisions.
Dr K has done 2,000 and possibly more virgin DS surgeries, or RnY to DS revisions with 500 of those being revisions.

Again, Dr Marshall is an excellent cutter, but Dr K has far more experience with the DS and revisions so I am going to trust his judgement on my case.

Does anybody in Chicago do revisions? Go to the ASMBS.org site and search it. You will find many who say they do. You will have to ask the people who have researched revision surgeons much more than I have to find out the reputation of any of these surgeons.

The RnY to DS or band to DS revision is a highly complicated surgery and you want the absolute best doing your procedure.

That is my two cents so take it for what you will.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and ultimately your revision.

Thanks for all the good background information. I am not actually the person searching for a revision surgeon, that was the original poster who is concerned about travel issues for revision surgery.

Thanks for all the good background information. I am not actually the person searching for a revision surgeon, that was the original poster who is concerned about travel issues for revision surgery.
sorry about that....I was posting from my phone and don't always notice things well when on the phone

Latest posts

Back