Houston is a Go - Any COVID-prevention travel advice?

hilary1617

First time at the rodeo.
Game on. Just scheduled a flight from Chicago to Houston for June 15 so the surgeon can go inside my son's head and take out his new tumor. MD Anderson is only allowing one parent, so Charles will be going with Liam and I will be staying home with Hannah. Doctors do not feel we should postpone this procedure any longer.

Last time Liam had this procedure he was in ICU for 11 days afterward as his blood pressure and pulse went on a roller coaster ride. He then missed 15 weeks of school with headaches, vomiting, and severe malaise.

We cannot let him catch COVID and deal with it on top of what will already be a difficult recovery. He tested negative for antibodies this week, so worried about the airport and flight exposure.

Liam had a cerebrospinal fluid leak the last time they took out a tumor and is at risk for it happening again, so his doctors don't want him in a small private plane. Driving is out as it is a 20 hour ride and Liam is just too sick (plus he doesn't have a license yet), plus that would put them at hotels / gas stations, etc so would be risky too.

They have to fly a commercial plane from ORD to IAH.

The panic PPE and sanitization shopping has begun - we've no shortage of masks, since Charles makes them to donate, but now I've added UVC wands and pouch, prescription swim goggles, clorox wipes in travel packs that I could only find on e-bay, gloves.

They will take the first flight of the day so the plane is likely cleanest. We bought first class seats and will have them board last. Liam will be in a wheelchair both ways - hoping that will help him through TSA.

Is there anything else anyone can think of that we can do to protect him?

Last edited:
You probably know this but I'm told

1 don't touch the in flight mags
2 don't eat the airplane food or beverage
3 direct the air vents down over your seats ( comes out clean, blows other stuff away)

Best of luck
G

Rent an RV. I know you thought driving was out, but Liam can lay on the bed while being driven, Charles can keep himself isolated and living space sanitized, with his own food and bathroom. The hospital can hook you up with a place to stay, possibly on their property.

Last edited:
You've done a fantastic job already. The only thing I could think of would be to ask the medical team in TX if they have any other suggestions, as they probably have patients who travel to them all the time.

If you do go the RV route that means you can go and help drive. While only one of you can go in the building one can still be nearby. Is the rule only one parent at a time or one parent period? Because maybe you can alternate being with him?

Rent an RV. I know you thought driving was out, but Liam can lay on the bed while being driven, Charles can keep himself isolated and living space sanitized, with his own food and bathroom. The hospital can hook you up with a place to stay, possibly on their property.

I was going to say this, but figured you had considered it and discounted it. Flying from LA to Monterrey, Mexico was not horrid. But the return flight, One leg of which had no business or first class seats, was torture. And we had access to the high rent district lounge. But still.

All, Thank you so much for the kind thoughts and suggestions!

We have booked the flights.

Alas an RV isn't an option, though it is a great idea - won't work given our particular circumstances.

It's only one parent allowed on campus at all the whole time - and that is via a special exception for children. Most patients are allowed no visitors/companions at all. Once admitted to the MD Anderson campus, patient and one parent must shelter in place there until discharge. As an added bonus, upon landing TX law enforcement is boarding all flights from certain locales, including Chicago, to ensure passengers fill out forms listing the addresses at which they will be quarantined for 14 days thereafter, so the law can follow-up to ensure quarantine is being followed.

That said, even absent those concerns and while like any parent would, I want to be by Liam's side, I can't travel mainly because I'm on my own medical journey (non-DS) and am high risk. I'll also be looking after Hannah and my 81 year old Mom.

Anyway many thanks and we'll just do all we can and hope for the best!

Game on. Just scheduled a flight from Chicago to Houston for June 15 so the surgeon can go inside my son's head and take out his new tumor. MD Anderson is only allowing one parent, so Charles will be going with Liam and I will be staying home with Hannah. Doctors do not feel we should postpone this procedure any longer.

Last time Liam had this procedure he was in ICU for 11 days afterward as his blood pressure and pulse went on a roller coaster ride. He then missed 15 weeks of school with headaches, vomiting, and severe malaise.

We cannot let him catch COVID and deal with it on top of what will already be a difficult recovery. He tested negative for antibodies this week, so worried about the airport and flight exposure.

Liam had a cerebrospinal fluid leak the last time they took out a tumor and is at risk for it happening again, so his doctors don't want him in a small private plane. Driving is out as it is a 20 hour ride and Liam is just too sick (plus he doesn't have a license yet), plus that would put them at hotels / gas stations, etc so would be risky too.

They have to fly a commercial plane from ORD to IAH.

The panic PPE and sanitization shopping has begun - we've no shortage of masks, since Charles makes them to donate, but now I've added UVC wands and pouch, prescription swim goggles, clorox wipes in travel packs that I could only find on e-bay, gloves.

They will take the first flight of the day so the plane is likely cleanest. We bought first class seats and will have them board last. Liam will be in a wheelchair both ways - hoping that will help him through TSA.

Is there anything else anyone can think of that we can do to protect him?

You are such a brave woman...with such a brave family.

(Translation: Sue would need massive amounts of diazepam-type meds. Let’s start with the BLUE ones...10mg each...maybe q4h...and titrate up from there.)

(Translation: Sue would need massive amounts of diazepam-type meds. Let’s start with the BLUE ones...10mg each...maybe q4h...and titrate up from there.)
When Hannah was little she had seizures at the unexpected onset of any fever she might have. They prescribed valium to give her if her seizures lasted more than 5 minutes (or was it 10? can't recall). My view was that if I had to wait that long to administer something to her, I'd need the valium for myself! ;)

Definitely stressful times, but we'll make it through!

at least you have here to come and vent, if needed. :) June is coming right up.
Actually, this has been more helpful than anyone can imagine. So thank you! This is the only space I have to get things off my chest - and I know everyone is going through tough times, so I feel a bit indulgent even venting here, but I'm feeling terrified and overwhelmed on a number of fronts while needing to stay calm and carry on for the sake of others. Thank you for being here!!!!

Latest posts

Back