Houston is a Go - Any COVID-prevention travel advice?

So, they're leaving Monday. I'm just trying to keep it together now.

MASK NOTE: I have obtained amazing PPE - the Philips Fresh Air / Blaise. These are N95's with 3 speed fans that are so much more breathable than anything else I've seen. Philips (well known medical manufacturer who makes things like CPAP machines) that are being made in China and are also available in HK - I'm not sure where else. They technically are not available on the U.S. market and have lithium batteries which means they shouldn't be shipped in cargo. They are also very expensive, but these are extraordinary circumstances. I do highly recommend for anyone with breathing difficulties.

However, I found a source and they have arrived at my house and are as lightweight and easy and solid in the protection arena as claimed. The source is an international website that honestly looked a bit sketchy (bitcoin payment option) and overcharges grossly and shipping is super expensive. It takes more like 10 days than 7. Also UPS corporate employees are working from home, so when it arrived in the states at the Louisville airport I got a call from someone's home phone requesting my SSN in order that UPS could fill out the customs paperwork, they did need this and it did need to be a personal vs. business use (as N95s for commercial sales are reserved for healthcare workers). To get comfortable with giving my SSN to a stranger, I had to do a lot of research and ultimately call UPS switchboard to leave it on her corporate voicemail (I wouldn't give it on personal phone or via email). There is also a tariff (10%) that has to be paid either COD or via UPS website once customs has processed. Anyway, all of that was weird and I wouldn't have gone through if I weren't desperate, but wanted to share as it did all work out.

Here's the link if anyone is interested: https://www.shopmask.com/respirator-philips-freshairmask.html There's lots of pictures and a video if you scroll down.

Also here's a review in English which is long but shows the components well:

Last edited:
wow, I'm glad you found this and will check it out more thoroughly after work.
my plan B if I can't get unemloyement insurance and our caseload goes back down again is to get a second job at a grocery store. for which I want the best mask available!

Latest posts

Back