Long time, no check-in..

oh, Jo I am so sorry to hear this. please check in whenever you can. I'm glad he has hospice they are the best caretakers ever. I hope your Mom gets a place she can be cared for as well.

and I hope you are able to take care of yourself as well!

big hugs.:5grouphug:

Sis called me off for tonight, things are stable and company is enough. Making chix & dumplings my way for me & dad, and whomever wants to share. Dad really enjoyed the liverwurst we got for him the other day according to my sister.. he's had a cath placed, so one less thing to worry over, the narcotics were causing urine retention. Sorry if this is turning into a blow-by-blow account, but hell, I need it, so you either read or pass up, right? Maybe the thread should be moved to private access? I'll leave that to the powers-that-be. I just don't want to be a downer, but you guys are some of the few in my life (online yes, but irl.. prob would be as well..) that can get this..

Going tomorrow with bags packed, and planning to stay as long as needed. Told work I may show up if I can and need a break.. Todd has been amazing through this and has handled my meltdowns as best as he can.

Tonight is the first in many I've had w/o dad.. and I almost have withdrawals.. I feel like I should be there. Hospice social worker coming in Thurs, and between that and ThriveAliance, we WILL be chatting about mom. She's like a 3yo. no help, sits and stares, smokes, drinks tea, and pops mommaslittlehelpers like candy.

My 80yo aunt and Aspy-uncle have both noted the issue, but it's the way it's been for nearly 8yrs.. Dementia, uncontrolled diabetes and continual non-movement have taken their toll. She didn't recognize Todd when we were there the other day, telling him "he looked just like her son-in-law".. she tried to play it off later as lack of sleep... but I know when dad goes, she's going to be nearly catatonic.

She will not sit with him, offer him food or drink.. she's avoiding the room he's in completely. I will not force her to it.. it's her choice, but I also will not tolerate her being belligerent to him which she pulled when we packed up her horde from his room and moved it to another room. Todd almost had her by the collar before she waddled out.. I nearly jumped over the bed and strangled her.. as it was, I spent 10 mins calming my dad down so he could take normal breaths as he was telling her to stop having a fit.. all because we were removing a 5' pile of her clothes off the bed beside his.. just in time, as he took his slide that night. Sis thought is was divine intervention that told us to do it (it was just fucking long overdue.. I DO NOT tolerate past a certain point.. regardless of disturbance it may cause, she timed herself out, long before other issues, she's been a narcissistic lazy ass, this just made it worse.)

Wish me luck for tomorrow onwards... the company, though necessary for their own needs feels claustrophobic to me under the circumstances. I just want to be at peace with the process. My sister, who is used to being on her feet all day just runs herself ragged until she collapses, I swear she'd upped her thyroid meds! We are going to try to take care of one another these next few now that I've notified work that they will do without me until this is over and done. Gah.. Move this to private if you wish, it's getting kinda bum-y, not my intent by my filters are shot to hell at this point.

Jo - besides reading to "be there" just a little for you, know that there are readers like me you are helping with these posts. Mom is 83, very unwell, nearly died two months ago from a bowel obstruction the evening my sister had her DS - suddenly had to (mostly - I made my sister's husband give her the phone so I could get her morphinated input) make choices for mom by myself. Haven't seen Mom for over a year, but I'm going to VA tomorrow, so I'll be seeing her in the next couple of days.

Dad is 84 and lives near me - he had an inguinal hernia repair a week ago, and I had to manage that (making sure he didn't get the wrong anesthesia since he has malignant hyperthermia, driving him and his PITA lady friend to the Surgicenter, figuring out what kind of underwear needed to be bought for him, handholding of other types (having convos with dad about swollen purple balls), etc.). It was minorly grueling, especially before a 2 week cross country trip with my husband.

My point being, I'm watching you, and learning from you. You are trailblazing for me.

Jo, hugs to you...it IS hard. When I lost daddy last year, I was thankful that my stepmom was fully involved and able to be there for him. She handled hospice in their home with limited help (she is a retired nurse), but it took it out of her.

As far as moving it...I will move it to R&R which allows more limited access.

Jo, hugs to you...it IS hard. When I lost daddy last year, I was thankful that my stepmom was fully involved and able to be there for him. She handled hospice in their with limited help (she is a retired nurse), but it took it out of her.

As far as moving it...I will move it to R&R which allows more limited access.

Thanks, there may be things I will want to share that are even a bit more private- and it's for the best that it goes there.

It's just so hard. Everything about it. I'm in tears reading what you are going through.

I will say that as hard as it was (psychologically, physically) helping my dad move on, some of those moments I'll treasure forever. He absolutely did have lucid times, despite some nonsense comments, and were clearly had some things to say. When he was unable to talk, he gave hand squeezes, which was a way that we said "i love you" when I was little. It became too hard for him to talk, but he was there. Your dad may be drifting in and out, but feels your hand, hears you and knows you are there for him. You are such a good, kind daughter to be there for him.

I'm glad you aren't going through this alone - when my Mom was demented I had a cousin who was some help but my brothers weren't, for the most part. a sister must be a wonderful thing to have. :)

All I have is a cyber hug. Hang in there, you are a wonderful daughter. Like Diana, I am learning from you. It will be my turn soon.

Been there and done that so I have a good idea what's going on. Very sorry for you! It will get better and all these issues will be resolved!

My mom passed at age 50 from pancreatic cancer. I know how hard it is to see a parent suffer. Just know we are here reading what you need to write. Hugs.

@JackieOnLine & everyone, thanks for the kind words and support.. my dad passed with me, Todd, and my sister at his side on friday the 5th.. the last several days have been a blur. As of late last night, I am finally home, and recouping from things. Mom is still mom, and will soon be coming to terms with the rigors of living alone (her insistence.)

Sadly when we returned that next day, he really was no longer eating.. he declined rapidly and the last couple days he was non-communicative. We all (save for mom...) took turns sitting with him, holding his hand, talking to him. He had a really rough night one night, haldol, ativan, dilaudid.. nothing helped. Eventually enough ativan was given (with hospice ok) and he slept. They call it terminal restlessness. It was a hard night. We called in the priest for his last rites the next day, and I believe he was aware of what was happening. He was fairly restful the remaining day and night, till he passed in the am.

Something happened though, which Todd pointed out later..

My sister had taken to sleeping in the other single bed next to him, Todd and I in the other room with a monitor on.. The final night, he vocalized all night. Dad had a deep loud voice, he was no longer moving as it was close.. but his breathing was strong and steady, so we thought it would be mid-day or later the next. My sister had put in some light earplugs to sleep, and I had turned off the monitor as she said she would come get me if needed. I woke in the morning, sat up and said "I can't hear dad breathing".. but the monitor was off (I had forgotten that I had turned it off.)

Todd got up, came right back and motioned me to come with him. Dad had stopped breathing. I swear I felt a hummingbird like thrumming in his chest for a moment or two but didn't say anything at the time (Todd later concurred), his neck was warm, his color still up.. but we couldn't find a pulse. The three of us just sat with him, I held his hand, put my head on his chest and said goodbye, we all cried together and stayed there with him for some time. I previously had told Todd through all this, that if at all possible, I wanted to be there when he passed, just holding his hand. I think I was. I think I woke just at that moment.

We woke mom so she could see him (she slept through the drama the night before, and also through this..) Family was still there, and got to say goodbye too before they came for him.

All three of us said later that we felt lifted, drifting and happy. Sad for us that he was gone, but so happy he was at peace. We all shared something so special and private.. sadly beautiful. I miss him.

Latest posts

Back