Long time, no check-in..

Jo777

Aug 2017
Life has been more difficult than normal. There's been good stuff too, but this is a bummer post about the bad stuff..

Some months ago, my father was dx'd with late stage renal cancer. Long story short, sent the word to sisters that if they want to see him as they remember, now's the time. They both came for a visit, and one came back shortly after (now going on 7 weeks?) to stay with him and my non-mobile, very bitchy, early dementia mother. She's a freakin' saint, I wouldn't be able to- no matter how many drugs (for them or me..)

Dad was not a candidate for surgery (prior surgeries, huge non-reduced hernias, too risky to remove the primary tumor/kidney.) He did have the kidney embolized to stop some bleeding and clot blockages from happening.. but fell at home, and now is doing pretty poorly. He will be having an MRI to see if anything fixable was damaged, but in the meantime, has called in hospice for an interview and has changed his mind on oral chemo, he's done. I can't blame him.. he's tired, in discomfort, not eating much (and this was a man who was VERY big, and always loved to eat.. he's wasted away fast.) The mom situation is rough, and she is not cooperative, and neither have arranged anything.. and at this point, things will be what they are. There will be cursing and crying, and she will eventually, with or without him as things fast progress, get moved out of the house and someplace else..

Through this, I have held on to some of my sanity and health.. and even started to round the bend a bit I think (debatable? maybe just happy at holding steady where I am atm.) The realization that I cannot control them, their situation, nor should I try, took much of that stress off.. I still have my moments, but fewer, and less extreme when they do pop up.

Last night I found out about the fall/hospice situation. Decision's finally made, no more round & round with tests and such. We had just returned from a vacation to GA/SC/NC, my sister was popping into the house to check on the cats & feed the fish. It took me a couple days to get into vacation mode and out of guilt mode for leaving the area, but things seemed stable.. Sister texted mid-way through our trip that all was ok, got home to a note on Tues AM that all was alright, dad was slow & steady.. got word Weds that it wasn't really the case.. She (kindly) kept things to herself until we were home and settled. Yes, I was upset that I wasn't included, but honestly, there's nothing to do, and it would have just created another worry mid-trip to deal with.

So, here I am today.. finally getting on the internet and saying hello. I've been limiting my internet time quite a bit, and still will.. but wanted to say hi, and feel like I've not been kicked off the planet quite yet. I will try to pop on more and read, and post from time to time.. I need the distraction, and frankly, the reminder to keep myself healthy, and get back to being fully better myself.

I am sorry for your troubles. Seems like you are handling them the best way possible. Best of luck to you and yours.

I'm so sorry to read about your dad. That's a lot to handle. Hang in there and agree with the others that you must remember to take good care of you.

I have no words for what you are going through :( *hugs from the UK* Im really sorry you have to deal with this.

I am happy that you are caring for yourself though, that's an awesome accomplishment at anytime, but even more so during times of major stress.

Oh honey. Prayers sent your way for peace and wisdom for you and your family. Take care of YOU first because you can't be good for anybody else if you are not good for yourself. **hugs**

So very sorry to hear of this tough time you are experiencing. It is so hard watching our parents go in this way and everything that goes along with it. My best wishes to you and hopes for peace and comfort.

Thank you guys for the kind wishes, it really feels good to reach out and share outside of my small circle.. Have not been socializing at all recently.. almost did the other night, after the hospice intake as a big group of our friends were out at a bar listening to music.. I got 3/4 of the way there and changed my mind, just couldn't deal with being around anyone I knew save for Todd.

Dad's been home for a couple days, that first was a doozy.. the ambulance ride, and inadequate pain meds left him pretty done. We had hospice right from the start- made deliveries and set up stuff before the intake nurse came in for the family interview and paperwork. I can't say enough good for hospice, they really are a comfort. Dad got better (stronger) meds, and an anti-anxiety too, and though not completely comfy, he's much better.. bed bound, save for bathroom breaks which he can handle for the most part with just a walker. He's been enjoying sips of Boost with a tiny drizzle of blackberry brandy added in.. said that tasted good and smiled about the thought of having a little poured over some ice cream. He eats an ounce or two and is done.

Mom is not making the situation any easier, but right now, it's not about her.. we pacify and talk her down when we can/need to.. but hospice also provides social workers and counselors, and we for sure have requested them to help her. We are picking up his sister from the airport today, his brother is driving in, and my sister should be getting things square and coming out soon.. I've been spending a lot of time just hanging and chatting with him, in between moments of taking a walk to the woods to let it out.

I've been watching that I get enough sleep, and have added a protein shake in there once in a while as for a bit, was living off junk.. still taking my Sam-e (works better than Wellbutrin for me) and am upping it a bit.. vites- check, water.. need more by what I can tell, and re-discovering the need for a dose of xan*x once or twice a day when I'm there, which helps tremendously.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Your situation sounds way too similar to what we went through a couple years ago when my dad was diagnosed and passed from renal cancer, right down to the the difficult mom and the ice cream. I wish that this meant I had some pearls of wisdom that would help, but really all I learned is to rely on hospice, and that I should have had paid caretakers doing the heavy work, and let your time with him be as quality as possible.

It's great you are staying on top of your own health, and hope you can continue that, it will make a difference. I laugh about it now, but I was also trying to help care for my father at the end, and was so out of my mind (vitamins, protein, bills-NOTHING was on my radar at that point), I actually walked out my front door without PANTS on one morning. The only thing that made me notice, was that a cool breezed made me wonder why my legs were so cold.

All I can do is send cyber hugs, and much empathy. I'm glad you came here to unload.

@bearmom, thank you- it's a difficult, painful, and weirdly honoring situation to face..

I'm glad I got some chat time in the night before last, yesterday morning he took a slow slide to the floor while attempting to toilet w/o waking anyone up.. it took my sister and two hospice nurses to get him into bed. He's on O2 now, and has had a significant decline in awareness. I sat with him last night, held his hand, fed him (loves watermelon, fruits seem to be soothing to him), helped him toilet with my sister's help.. it's a two person job esp with a bad back. He's aware enough to usually answer a question given enough time to process, but has also started saying nonsensical things that are running through his head, listening to those too.. just in case there's some meaning in there.

Aunt & uncle (& GF) weren't prepared to see him in this state.. or mom the way she is now for that matter, but there was little preparation for any of us, this has progressed downwards so quickly. It frankly feels claustrophobic having them visit, and I have a feeling they may (hopefully?) not try to stay as long as they planned right now, or perhaps hang by themselves elsewhere (they are staying in a hotel.) Although they may be providing a good distraction for mom. He's starting to dehydrate, but when asked if he's in any pain, he answers in the negative.. so the dilaudid and ativan are helping that. When people do go in to visit, it's one at a time.. but the activity is confusing I think.

I'm packing my stuff today, taking care of some things here, and heading there for the time being. They don't have Internet or WiFi, so i will be offline for a bit. Part of me is screaming NO!, but I feel the need to be there, to help, and to just spend time with him, even if it's sitting in the same room reading quietly. My sister also really would love to have some back-up, she's about at her end.. oh, and my other sister has opted to not come out until the funeral. She said her goodbyes when she was out a couple months(?) ago (judging time is getting a bit difficult for me through this) and just has FMLA left. When he passes, it is going to be her job to get the estate square, and (hopefully) help with squaring mom and the house away.. we shall see. I am hurt, but it's not my choice, and I think the hurt mostly came from spending time with dad when he was lucid, and had asked me to relay to her that he loves her.. I think it would have been a comfort for him to see her one more time, but the next day he was slipping away further.

Last edited:
As much as you want all your family to see your dad while they can, some just won't. You can't change that or make it easier. Just savor the time you have with him. It's precious and is as much for you as for him...you are making memories to sustain you.

Losing a parent is very hard...

Latest posts

Back