Kim Bariatric Institute - Dr David Kim, Colleyville, TX

I know several of Dr. Kim's patients and they DO NOT have this same rainbows and unicorns opinion of him or his staff at all. I have several friends (real, not facebook friends) who have used him and they would literally laugh at these post. All of their responses are he is rude, not compassionate, doesn't care for the well-being of the patent especially AFTER surgery.
Not saying he is not a good person at all, but it is funny when you read some of the comments and they do sound like the hundreds of ads that run in the DFW area.

I've seen those negative ads. One problem is that these guys start to believe their own advertising. I had a knee doctor like that. And my PCP said just that. That the guy was better when he didn't buy into his own hype.

You know...like Justin Bieber....ROFLMAO!!!

And now, going back off topic...

Many years ago, I worked at what was then called a state hospital where people who were then called mentally retarded resided. You know, an "institution". It was later renamed a "developmental center", or something like that, and the people living there became developmentally disabled, not mentally retarded.

Part of my job involved reviewed medical records, sometimes from many years previously. Back on those days, terms we would now consider very offensive, in fact offensive even by the time I saw those records, were not only acceptable, they were routinely used by psychologists and psychiatrists as appropriate labels for people whose I.Q.'s fell within certain parameters. These were diagnostic terms from, let's say, the 1940's and maybe the 1950's, it's hard for me to remember the exact years now, but today the only time you would hear these words would be as schoolyard insults one child would hurl at another. Yet they were so acceptable at one time that they were actual diagnoses.

Times change, people change, we evolve. To me, retarded can be offensive if you use it as an insult when you don't agree with someone or in your opinion they aren't catching on fast enough, but the same word can be an appropriate descriptive term for someone who has a very low I.Q. and not meant as pejorative at all. However, I also understand that someone dealing with the challenges of a child with any kind of disability might be sensitive, esp when you and your child have to contend with some of what society dishes out.
I also understand that retarded and autistic are two different things, and having people assume your child is one thing when in fact he/she is another must get old too.

And now, going back off topic...

Many years ago, I worked at what was then called a state hospital where people who were then called mentally retarded resided. You know, an "institution". It was later renamed a "developmental center", or something like that, and the people living there became developmentally disabled, not mentally retarded.

Part of my job involved reviewed medical records, sometimes from many years previously. Back on those days, terms we would now consider very offensive, in fact offensive even by the time I saw those records, were not only acceptable, they were routinely used by psychologists and psychiatrists as appropriate labels for people whose I.Q.'s fell within certain parameters. These were diagnostic terms from, let's say, the 1940's and maybe the 1950's, it's hard for me to remember the exact years now, but today the only time you would hear these words would be as schoolyard insults one child would hurl at another. Yet they were so acceptable at one time that they were actual diagnoses.

Times change, people change, we evolve. To me, retarded can be offensive if you use it as an insult when you don't agree with someone or in your opinion they aren't catching on fast enough, but the same word can be an appropriate descriptive term for someone who has a very low I.Q. and not meant as pejorative at all. However, I also understand that someone dealing with the challenges of a child with any kind of disability might be sensitive, esp when you and your child have to contend with some of what society dishes out.
I also understand that retarded and autistic are two different things, and having people assume your child is one thing when in fact he/she is another must get old too.

Yup. My cousin used to be a "mongoloid." Now he just has Down Syndrome.

OT @Spiky, Oddly, though we have nothing else in common, Justin Bieber and I share the same hotel preference. After putting up with his antics one too many times, they purportedly required him to sign a contract that he would behave (e.g. not throw wild parties, bring girls back to his suites, invite a bunch of people to the restaurant, etc.) It makes things just bearable for the rest of us, who have to put up with throngs of screaming girls blocking the sidewalks and trying to sneak in, difficult entry for our guests, crazier than usual security, stressed out doormen, etc. during his visits. Plus, personally, his stays effect my room as I don't get upgraded to the types of apartment-style suites they usually give me when he isn't around, which means I don't get a kitchen.

Having witnessed his reality up close a few times now, I don't hold him *as* at fault for his ego and bad behavior. He's just a kid with people treating him like royalty and girls swooning. His dad is a study in how not to be a role model. I don't know how he could have realistic expectations or not buy into the hype. He's drowning in ambrosia and fans. I honestly don't know how he escapes from himself. That said, I am happiest when he is not in NYC!

OT @Spiky, Oddly, though we have nothing else in common, Justin Bieber and I share the same hotel preference. After putting up with his antics one too many times, they purportedly required him to sign a contract that he would behave (e.g. not throw wild parties, bring girls back to his suites, invite a bunch of people to the restaurant, etc.) It makes things just bearable for the rest of us, who have to put up with throngs of screaming girls blocking the sidewalks and trying to sneak in, difficult entry for our guests, crazier than usual security, stressed out doormen, etc. during his visits. Plus, personally, his stays effect my room as I don't get upgraded to the types of apartment-style suites they usually give me when he isn't around, which means I don't get a kitchen.

Having witnessed his reality up close a few times now, I don't hold him *as* at fault for his ego and bad behavior. He's just a kid with people treating him like royalty and girls swooning. His dad is a study in how not to be a role model. I don't know how he could have realistic expectations or not buy into the hype. He's drowning in ambrosia and fans. I honestly don't know how he escapes from himself. That said, I am happiest when he is not in NYC!

I agree. And I would not want him as a neighbor either.

But his two year probation sentence, which he had to accept or have a felony record, is going to do him in...like Lindsay's probation. JB will not be able to maintain for two years, and a probation violation will get him Indoor Time. Unless he does about six years of growing up this month, they'll violate his ass and he will be a RIPE target in a grown up men's jail. I worked in one. Used to be that smart-ass young men would act effeminate to try to get assigned to "the queen tank," where they thought life would be easier. Surprise...there are some mean, horny queens in our jail populations...lol. Same guys would be confessing to heterosexuality within 20 minutes or so! (And the mean, horny queens didn't care.)

And he's an alien.

JB is in a self-made prison now, in a way. He can't escape from his fame. I agree, like me, he would not do well in jail. (I guess that's something else we have in common!) He should travel outside of the country for the next two years to avoid the possibility of violating his probation. Maybe even go home for a bit...

Please be aware that Dr. Kim's inclusion on Dr. Keshishian's newly revised DS Surgeons list is NOT what it looks like. Keshishian is NOT vetting any of the surgeons on his list - he is including everyone who asks to be included. I have asked him to REMOVE the indication that this list is in ANY WAY vetted. We are creating a new, patient-run site for VETTED DS surgeons, who will be vetted by a panel of experienced DS veteran patients with medical and scientific training.

Noted, @DianaCox . We all need to do our very own due diligence. Research your surgeon, make sure they are performing the surgery you want (and not a cheap imitation). Measure twice, cut once.

Thank you, Diana! There are people asking quite often about Dr. Kim and last I heard, he had done 11 DSs and all have been this calendar year. More than not, people are going in for DS and not getting it :(
One is on DS Patients FB page now asking about Dr. Kim because he is listed on DSFacts and they are told that it is gospel, so to speak.

Another that concerns me - Only because of his website is Dr. Ng in NC. Here is what his site describes as DS (He's on DSFacts, too)
http://www.rexbariatrics.com/about-...io-pancreatic-diversion-with-duodenal-switch/

Bilio-pancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch
The duodenal switch (also referred to as biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch or “switch”) involves two bariatric techniques in one operation: a vertical gastric sleeve attached to a distal intestinal roux-en-Y bypass. During this operation, approximately 80% of the stomach is removed. The switch procedure is a well established bariatric operation with excellent long term weight loss (on average 80%) and a track record as the most effective metabolic operation for treating diabetes mellitus (91%). The effectiveness of the procedure is based on a combination of restriction, fat malabsorption, and hormonal effects that reduce hunger, increase satiety, and decrease insulin resistance. The operation is more technically challenging but still performed laparoscopically. Generally, we reserve this approach for patients with higher BMI or insulin dependent diabetics. Patients need to expect some higher risk of both short and long term complications, including leakage, infection, malnutrition, and diarrhea. Your doctor can help you decide which approach best fits your needs.

I am only 2 years post op, but I read and listen to the Vets, and when I see things like this, it concerns me greatly.

While I am not in favor of a surgeon who restricts access to high BMI patients the description of the lower anastomosis being an RNY bypass is actually correct: http://www.whonamedit.com/synd.cfm/3724.html RNY refers generally to an anastomosis that results in a Y-shaped junction, which we in fact have. RNY gastric bypass is the FULL name of the pouch/proximal intestinal bypass procedure.

But I never heard of Ng before this, and THAT concerns me about him being listed on DSFacts.com. THAT LIST IS NO LONGER VETTED!

Okay so help me understand. Who determines who is "vetted" vs. "not-vetted"? What "credentials" do they have to make this determination and what "criteria" are they using to make that decision?

Initially, it was the owner of duodenalswitch.com site who decided, and then when she stopped updating, the owner of the DSFacts.com site took over. Both were long-term DS vets, and they were the sole arbiters and deciders for their respective sites, which they have since abdicated. Keshishian bought DSFacts.com last year, and he has changed his mind about keeping that SUBJECTIVE "vetting" on his site, for reasons of (among others) potential liability.

There is now a new patient-owned and run site that will be launched as soon as we get better organized (long story - we thought we were going to be getting access to data that Keshishian was going to collect, but he has since decided not to collect it), and we (a group of self-appointed/conscripted veterans with medical and scientific credentials) will be making the decisions based on our own criteria. We are NOT going to share the criteria, because that would give the excluded surgeons a basis to bitch about - but we are going to try to be as inclusive as we feel comfortable with.

It will be ENTIRELY and SUBJECTIVELY our choices who gets included and who doesn't. And we are not a governing body or credentialing agency, so we have just as much right to post our non-defamatory opinions as anyone else.

And, someone who lives in TX continues to say that the latest information was that Kim is actually NOT doing the DS, due to "insurance reasons." I only know what I've been told about that.

Latest posts

Back