Just for curiosity, who here is a VSGer?

same here - I drifted out of the habit of talking about all of this and I need to get back to it as a regular thing. daily, anyway.

At least around these parts, moderation isn't seen as some four-letter word.. it's more a live and let live if it works for you (and you aren't in imminent harm) sort of board.. which is what I like.. I eat what works for me, you eat what works for you.. as long as you share the tasty recipes, we all be good ;)

My daughter just made some vegan broccoli soup (except that she used chicken broth- girl is 14 and is not quite connecting the dots yet!)... best I have ever had, and I normally do not like that type of soup at all. It doesn't use cream, but silken tofu instead so yea for protein! I can share if interested. Already looking forward to getting hungry enough to have some more today :)

Already looking forward to getting hungry enough to have some more today

HA! I hear you. in fact, that gives me an idea for a thread I once started. I think I will start the same one here. maybe a poll...

thread and poll here

Last edited:
My daughter just made some vegan broccoli soup (except that she used chicken broth- girl is 14 and is not quite connecting the dots yet!)... best I have ever had, and I normally do not like that type of soup at all. It doesn't use cream, but silken tofu instead so yea for protein! I can share if interested. Already looking forward to getting hungry enough to have some more today :)
I'd like that recipe to pass on to my VSGer sister!

YAY Happyteacher is here!! Go Green!! I would like that recipe too. I have never used silken tofu and would like to give it a try.

Not a tofu person, but I DO love soup! My fav that I've made over and over is some variation of "clean out the veggie drawer" soup.. I don't pitch food, so it all gets re-purposed or frozen in VSGsized freezy packs for later. I make my own 24hr bone broth from saved carcasses (with chicken feet when I get to the Asian groc) and that broth gets frozen in the freezer, then I can just throw it together from there, whether Thai, pho, or one of my creamed soups (curried cauliflower & leek, yum.) Being able to make great soup is +++!

YAY Happyteacher is here!! Go Green!! I would like that recipe too. I have never used silken tofu and would like to give it a try.
Ok- the recipe is silly easy!

2 cups vegetable stock (daughter used chicken stock)
4 cups chopped broccoli (daughter was a little light as she quadrupled the recipe and didn't have quite enough)
4 ounces silken tofu

Cook the brocolli in the stock until soft, about 15 minutes. Add in the tofu. The daughter used an immersion blender to puree everything, but you could let it cool and use a food processor for this step, then reheat. Salt and pepper to taste. Yum!

Not a tofu person, but I DO love soup! My fav that I've made over and over is some variation of "clean out the veggie drawer" soup.. I don't pitch food, so it all gets re-purposed or frozen in VSGsized freezy packs for later. I make my own 24hr bone broth from saved carcasses (with chicken feet when I get to the Asian groc) and that broth gets frozen in the freezer, then I can just throw it together from there, whether Thai, pho, or one of my creamed soups (curried cauliflower & leek, yum.) Being able to make great soup is +++!

You have NO IDEA that tofu is in this recipe.... it totally takes the place of the cream base. Less calories by far and tofu is a good protein source. Seriously- try it... best brocolli soup I have ever had. Recipe a little further down in this thread.

I have some weird aversion towards tofu and soy in general (however fermented tofu like tempeh/natto maybe.. not experimented enough with it though..) I prob have read too much on health blogs. I have yet to try either. I am intrigued with natto though.. anyone? Something about stringy fermented soy, I have a texture thing, but the opposite of an aversion.

We need to start posting soup recipes.. though me, with my reluctance to actually measure anything may be a limiting factor.. I tend to wing it and let my palate and level of creativity call it..

Latest posts

Back