What have I missed?

k9ophile - how are YOU doing?
I've completed my 5th week of PT. In a bit of pain, but it's not intolerable. I see the surgeon on Monday. I have a district convention at the end of the month. I'd skip it, but I'm being installed as the Grand Poobah. Then at the end of June, I travel to Rochester, NY for an international convention.

I'm doing my home exercises to get ready for all that activity. As you can imagine, I'm not terribly excited.

Thanks for asking.

I've completed my 5th week of PT. In a bit of pain, but it's not intolerable. I see the surgeon on Monday. I have a district convention at the end of the month. I'd skip it, but I'm being installed as the Grand Poobah. Then at the end of June, I travel to Rochester, NY for an international convention.

I'm doing my home exercises to get ready for all that activity. As you can imagine, I'm not terribly excited.

Thanks for asking.

Grand Poobahs are important people. Consider travel via Amtrak if it works ( handicapped room) or renting an RV and taking MrPoobah along for shits and giggles. Even when I’m not in ”disabled mode” air travel feels oppressive to me.

Grand Poobahs are important people. Consider travel via Amtrak if it works ( handicapped room) or renting an RV and taking MrPoobah along for shits and giggles. Even when I’m not in ”disabled mode” air travel feels oppressive to me.
I would love to take a train. Alas, the nearest station is in Memphis. There are no direct flights from Nashville or Knoxville to Rochester. I'll be switching planes in Atlanta, Minneapolis, Iowa and so forth. Such is life, at least mine for agreeing to be the Grand Poobah for TN.

JackieOnLine

What is the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes? (Thus the reference to the Grand Poobah.)

Image result
The Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes (or simply the Water Buffaloes) is a fictional and very exclusive men-only fraternal organization operating within Bedrock with a long and dedicated history in the franchise of The Flintstones. It serves as Fred and Barney's main club and hangout.

And I don't get to wear a big hat!

Harrumph. The Flintstones lowbrow satire was a parody of the highbrow satire of Gilbert & Sullivan’ The Mikado.

Grand Poobah is a satirical term derived from the name of the haughty character Pooh-Bah in Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado (1885).[1] In this comic opera, Pooh-Bah holds numerous exalted offices, including "First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Chief Justice, Commander-in-Chief, Lord High Admiral ... Archbishop ... Lord Mayor" and "Lord High Everything Else". The name has come to be used as a mocking title for someone self-important or locally high-ranking and who either exhibits an inflated self-regard or who has limited authority while taking impressive titles.[2] The American writer William Safire wrote that "everyone assumes [the name] Pooh-Bah merely comes from [W. S. Gilbert] combining the two negative exclamations Pooh! plus Bah!, typical put-downs from a typical bureaucrat."”

Harrumph. The Flintstones lowbrow satire was a parody of the highbrow satire of Gilbert & Sullivan’ The Mikado.

Grand Poobah is a satirical term derived from the name of the haughty character Pooh-Bah in Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado (1885).[1] In this comic opera, Pooh-Bah holds numerous exalted offices, including "First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Chief Justice, Commander-in-Chief, Lord High Admiral ... Archbishop ... Lord Mayor" and "Lord High Everything Else". The name has come to be used as a mocking title for someone self-important or locally high-ranking and who either exhibits an inflated self-regard or who has limited authority while taking impressive titles.[2] The American writer William Safire wrote that "everyone assumes [the name] Pooh-Bah merely comes from [W. S. Gilbert] combining the two negative exclamations Pooh! plus Bah!, typical put-downs from a typical bureaucrat."”
I had no idea of the history of the term. But I very much like it. I always use the word Poobah in a mocking way.

Latest posts

Back