Sue NOT bitching. (Alert the media.)

Spiky Bugger

My blood is taking too long to clot. So my Thursday surgery was cancelled. (It NEEDS to happen asap, because I‘m dealing with a PRE-cancerous growth and I’d like it gone before it moves to the next stage.)

Vitamin K is the supplement that helps regulate PTT/INR (coagulation time), and my times were too high. The daily dose for Vitamin K is 90 mcg…please notice the “c.” That makes it tiny. My hematologist prescribed seven days of 5mg (no “c”) Phytonadione, brand name Mephyton. My first reaction was wonder how many of my 9mcg capsules I’d have to take to equal 5mg. My brain didn’t like my mental calculations. The wrong answer seemed reasonable, the correct answer seemed crazy.

So, of course, I called DianaCox .

She caught my math error right away. The prescription drug is about 556 times stronger than the OTC Vitamin K I take now. And she simultaneously googled Good Rx. The non-discounted prices for ONE tablet run from about $41 to about $96. For one tablet.

I’ve previously mentioned that we have really good insurance. Well, I was wrong. We have stupendously good insurance. It seems that our group policy added some “bonus coverage” for some drugs, making this a Tier 1 drug with a $5 co-pay. $5.

I just took the first one.

Latest posts

Back