Hi I am new

Thank you everyone SO MUCH for the information, I always though because I had welfare insurance I was kind of stuck. I want what is going to be the best for me. I struggle everyday sometimes just to get out of bed with pain. I have tried every diet imaginable to man. I done the omni diet which restricts you to 500 cal a day and didnt lose weight. Im doing some more research. Diana I would like to add you as a friend as I lose track of names and messages because of Fibro fog, and ill message you after I speak with my doctor next month. :) thank you everyone.
If you didn't lose weight on 500cal per day, the sleeve is NOT your answer.

I hope you will also consider the duodenal switch, which as far as I know, Portland Kaiser does not offer - the sleeve will likely not do much for your PCOS, whereas the DS is a metabolic surgery. Kaiser will probably fight you on it, but you may be able to appeal to external medical review, where you will have a better chance to get an objective review.

You also will have to go out of state for your DS, because to my knowledge, there are no qualified DS surgeons in Oregon (or none I've heard of or would allow to touch me). Although the Kaisers are somewhat independent, NorCal Kaiser is contracted with Dr. Rabkin, one of the best of the best, for cases where they have no choice but to pay for a DS.
This is Connie Hilbmann's mother. question. if she has the surgery she is speaking of, instead of the DS, will she most likely add her weight on?

You need to do the research, to compare apples to apples. Some people do reasonably well with the sleeve and lifelong dieting. It is essentially a restrictive-only procedure, and the sleeve stretches out over time. I can eat a small to medium normal meal now, with no restrictions on WHAT I can eat (though bread, pasta and rice make me uncomfortably full quicker than other foods).

In the face of metabolic disease (as indicated by her PCOS) and other mobility issues, I would think she would be much more likely than without these problems to be able to maintain a sufficient weight loss to overcome the PCOS and to prevent other metabolic issues as she gets older.

I am not an MD, but a PhD and a long-term observer of people failing with the sleeve. These results would not make me happy:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24507083
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25980329

Hi Connie! glad you found the place, there is excellent info here.

FYI I have the sleeve and it was right for me because I don't have metabolic issues. in fact, I can eat a fairly really large amount of calories and not gain weight.

thing is? I can eat almost anything now (had VSG in 2008) and I can gain weight. same is with all WLS, but still - it really sounds like you need the DS and Diana, etc, can help you with that.

bread, pasta and rice make me uncomfortably full quicker than other foods

with me, carbs - especially simple ones - I can eat almost without restriction.

:devilish:

@CDHilbmann76 Welcome!!!

I had the sleeve done in 2010. I love 60% of my excess body weight and that was probably considered a success. However, my weight loss stalled after about 18 months (or less) and I started slowly regaining after that, even after getting in therapy and working on limiting my sugar and carbs (I don't really do calorie deficit because of so many years on a diet. Anyway, all my weight has almost been gained back. And unless I limit my calories or strictly stay off sugar and processed foods I can't really lose weight. It didn't work for me.

I am strongly considering the DS, I still have my moments of "...do I really need to do this" but each day, week, and month passes with no change in my weight and starting and stopping dieting again and again, and the vicious cycle it brings....and I can't live like this anymore. So, I will most likely revise to the DS in the future.

I can't remember if/what your BMI is but if you feel you have any metabolic issues at all, from personal experience I have found that malabsorption is necessary. If you're going to have WLS, do it just once and do it right.

I looked in my area there is one doctor in Olympia that does the DS and he does not except state insurance. I would in no way have the funds to travel outside of Washington and still unsure of how the rules work with using state insurance in another state. I know I have problems now just crossing the border to go to a good hospital for emergent care. Washington wont pay in Oregon and Oregon wont pay in Washington. I sorta found a loop hole through Kaiser though because Kaiser is only in areas close to Portland meaning I can cross border to go to Sunnyside Kaiser or another Oregon Kaiser facility.

Latest posts

Back