hello

Jinasinn1984

Okay, so I was referee to your site. I had the sleeve on 2011 and now they have discovered a large bubble as well as it has stretched out. I have gained back 40 lbs in a little over a year. They want me to switch to the bypass insurance has approved it as of today. But I am still very much checking into the DS. If anyone has went from the sleeve to the Ds:(:confused: along with the sleeve revision. Please message me I want to speak with some one who has done it. Or the bypass after sleeve. Please and thank you.

:rainbowwelcome: @Jinasinn1984
Glad you found us...

Please, PLEASE do not revise to a bypass...you will lose your pyloric valve. You need to talk to a surgeon about converting the sleeve to the DS (which has the sleeve as the stomach part). But you will need to find a surgeon who actually DOES the DS.

I see you are in TN...Dr. Boyce and Dr. Williams in Knoxville both do the DS.

Hi and welcome!
I didn't have a revision but there are other people here who did, so hopefully they will chime in. I agree with Southernlady - if you have gastric bypass you lose all the advantages you get with the sleeve or the DS. You lose the use of your pylofic valve. You may (or may not) suffer from dumping and/or reactive hypoglycemia, which are not problems with the DS. NSAIDs will be contraindicated for the rest of your life. And gastric bypass has a substantial failure rate, much higher than the DS.
I don't know who this "they" is that wants you to have gastric bypass, but bottom line, it's you who will live with the results of this operation, not "they". Don't let anyone talk you into an operation that isn't what you believe is best for you. You are already dealing with one failed operation, make double sure you have the best possible operation this time.

I just had a re-sleeve and DS. Had my original VSG back in 2010.
I'm only two weeks out though come Friday.

I absolutely would NOT get RNY.
So did you gain any weight back from the original sleeve? Did you have any bubbles in your stomach?

Thank you all. In my original post they they I referred to is the physician and his office. They asked insurance to approve it which they did today. I said but I haven't decided that's what I want. I have been looking to talk to others to get opinions. So I am greatful for all the post I have received on here today. This is the most help I have been offered.thank you all.

Thank you all. In my original post they they I referred to is the physician and his office. They asked insurance to approve it which they did today. I said but I haven't decided that's what I want. I have been looking to talk to others to get opinions. So I am greatful for all the post I have received on here today. This is the most help I have been offered.thank you all.
THAT is why we are here...to help people make informed choices.

So did you gain any weight back from the original sleeve? Did you have any bubbles in your stomach?

come to find out the surgeon who did my original sleeve didn't touch the bottom part of my stomach at all...so he basically only resected the side of it and the bottom part was quite large. Other than that, the rest of it was fine and not stretched out. No bubbles.

I never quite made it goal...I got close but didn't quite get there. I got to about 155-160...my personal goal was 135. A lot of factors went into my stooping losing. In the past year plus, I've regained about 40 lbs. I knew I could eat a lot more than I probably should be able to eat, but I didn't really overeat very often at all. It was WHAT I was eating. I ate a lot of fruit over the hot summer...watermelon, grapes, canteloupes, etc. and I gained 15 lbs.

My body doesn't like to let go of the weight at all. I had tried several times going back to basics and for the most part we eat very healthy. My caloric intake wasn't very high at all but I couldn't lose a lb to save my life.

So I got a revision and here I am.

The long term stats for the RNY aren't very good. The chance of regain I think is highest with RNY.
I wouldn't give up a perfectly good stomach and pyloric valve for a pouch and stoma. I wouldn't give up being able to drink with my meals and I wouldn't give up being able to take NSAIDS.

How much do you have to lose?

Hi and welcome. You are so fortunate that you came here, as am I! I’m a pre-op and been hanging around here for about 6 months or so, and I have never seen in any professional discipline, hobbyist activity or forum, or organization of any kind that I have been associated with, that has the level of expertise, commitment, passion and intelligence that the Ladies, (and 1 or 3 men) have on this site. I am in absolute awe how much they know about WLS in general as well as detailed specifics with metabolism, insurance, Dr.’s, vitamins, nutrition and on and on and on. There are also a couple surely ones one here too though (not to mention any names SB) to help keep us on our toes and keeps it live and entertaining. I learn something new here almost every day! My best wishes to you.

Well, I want to thank you all. For all the advice and opening up it has helped me a lot. I spoke with my surgeon and he agrees we should do the resleeve to get it all back in order and then if need be we will look at the ds. So we shall see he is holding to get the surgery scheduled for January

Well, I want to thank you all. For all the advice and opening up it has helped me a lot. I spoke with my surgeon and he agrees we should do the resleeve to get it all back in order and then if need be we will look at the ds. So we shall see he is holding to get the surgery scheduled for January

If it were me, I would talk to my surgeon about doing it all at once, the re-sleeve and the DS portion. Of course, if you don't have very much to lose or are not worried about regain, the sleeve may be all you need. I would just not want to have two more surgeries.

Last edited:
I agree with newanatomy - a sleeve alone has already failed for you once, it's time to try something more, and that would be the DS, along with fixing whatever is wrong with your sleeve, of course. Otherwise you may find yourself facing bariatric operation #3 in a couple years. Not a pleasant thought, is it. Your decision of course, but that's my take on it.

Latest posts

Back