Hello - I'm new here.

Gramgal

Hello,
I had VS in 2012 and I have regained my weight. Lots of personal/family/medical issues and also dealing with lots of pain from arthritis. Bottom line though, I failed my sleeve. My sleeve didn't fail me. I am logging all my food into MyNetDiary. I've also started working out 3 days a week in the YMCA pool which took a lot of gumption on my part to put on a swimsuit and go out in public. I'm ready now, to go to a surgeon and make sure that I haven't broken my VS tool. I also want to ask about getting a revision to DS, but to be honest, I'm not sure I deserve it. I feel rather like a failure, but taking steps to get back to the me I liked and find my joy. Finding my way back to a support forum is part of my plan, so thanks for adding me to your group.

Last edited:
Welcome Gramgal
No, you didn’t fail the sleeve, you needed malabsorption in the first place. Your surgeon failed you. You absolutely deserve the best you you can be.

The sleeve is just another diet with a smaller stomach. You needed the malabsorbtion and your surgeon sold you the wrong surgery. Welcome and good luck getting the surgery you need.

Welcome! You've come to the right place. Your post made me sad, not just because you are struggling, but more because you believe you are not "deserving" of medically necessary care. As fat people, we are so often shamed and made to feel less deserving of all sorts of things that others take for granted. We internalize the repeated messages of "less than" and come to believe them ourselves.
No, you did not fail your inadequate operation, and you are NOT undeserving of further and better care. If you are well informed about the DS and believe it would benefit you, do it. If you can't get past the idea that you don't deserve appropriate medical care, seek counseling to figure out why. You deserve it!

Hi and welcome Gramgal plus ^^^^What they all said! You didn't have a sufficient surgery in the first round. Malabsorption was needed and not delivered. That said, the race isn't over by a long shot. You are still in it. You absolutely deserve to be happy and healthy. Definitely research the DS and get one if it is right for you.

Hi Gramgal and welcome!

in general, the more you tell us about yourself the more help we can be.

I'm ready now, to go to a surgeon and make sure that I haven't broken my VS tool.

so far all we know is you are taking the blame for not being a WLS sucess and nobody here agrees that's true. you deserve the healthcare you need!

unlike pretty much everyone else here, I have the VSG only and not the DS.
you know what? I have binge eating disorder. I have had since I was a kid and I'm 60 now.
I've dealth with it sucessfully a couple times and now with the pandemic, it's back. so I eat way more than I'm "supposed to" all the time. and have a lot of shame about it, because that's what we all learned.

feel free to reach out via PM if you want to.

and keep posting, we like to help.

:5grouphug:

We make the best choices we can with the information available to us at the time. The DS was and is the most effective weight loss surgery. You have an opportunity to revise to the DS and to review and change your behavior. When you know better do better.

Don’t waste your time on regret and looking back. You cannot change your past. Focus on the future and act accordingly. I had a revision from a RNY to to a traditional DS, so I know about feeling like you failed your surgery. Those feelings don’t help so just focus on making the necessary adjustments and moving forward.

Latest posts

Back