Hello Spiky Bugger

Oh, hi. I just sent this in response to an email inquiry:

I’m MUCH better, but not yet very close to “okay.” I’m FRUSTRATED, bored and irritated at every little thing that is not where it belongs or that needs to be cleaned. I’m not usually that fussy, but when I’m glued to one or two positions on the same sofa and keep “seeing” (such as that sense functions) the same things…it gets to me.

And my beloved will do anything I ask him to do, but I have to ask. As in…if he is empty-handed and on his way to the kitchen, which involves walking past my “perch,” he just doesn’t see the dirty almost-empty plate or half-empty water glass in need of more ice cubes, both of which need a ride to the kitchen. Usually, not an issue because I “police” my own area. But now, my hands are busy with my walker. So I’m not just a needy old woman, I’m a nagging, needy old woman…who wonders how long it will be before he throws something at me. (Don’t worry. That response would be a suicide attempt on his part.)

Oh! The colorectal surgery thing seems resolved. Final check-up on Thursday. The actual severe double vision* is considerably resolved, but the subtle remaining impairment causes queasiness or blurred vision, with varying acuity, so that I change to older or newer glasses throughout the day and (rarely) take Zofran when the queasiness won’t go away. Or, as with this lengthy response, I have to take breaks. That’s why this has taken well over an hour to write. (I also have some sort of anti-seasickness wrist bands, but they don’t seem all that effective.). Anyway, I still need a walker, even in the house and heating a tortilla, which I do over an open flame, is risky because of depth perception. But, I’m not in Ukraine.

Thank you, again, for asking.

* https://www.merckmanuals.com/profes...isorders/fourth-cranial-trochlear-nerve-palsy

Glad to see you pop in here. We miss you.
Some husbands are easily trainable, some need a 2x4. It took 15 years and several 2x4’s to get mine somewhat trained so I feel your pain. As he often reminds himsel, he has to sleep sometimes.
Being slightly “seasick” would me miserable. I’d be tempted to stay in bed.

Sorry to hear you are not yet back to yourself!

When I was married I always wondered at the mystery of my H being able to walk past the same piece of dirt for months without it ever occurring to him that he should pick up whatever and dispose of it. Sometimes I thought it was because he had been too well taken care of for his whole life. Other times I thought it was intentional. I guess it just depended on my mood at the moment. Once upon a time, he did admit to intentionally doing a bad job cleaning to avoid being responsible in the future.

Sorry to hear you are not yet back to yourself!

When I was married I always wondered at the mystery of my H being able to walk past the same piece of dirt for months without it ever occurring to him that he should pick up whatever and dispose of it. Sometimes I thought it was because he had been too well taken care of for his whole life. Other times I thought it was intentional. I guess it just depended on my mood at the moment. Once upon a time, he did admit to intentionally doing a bad job cleaning to avoid being responsible in the future.

This is actually different in that he will eventually be the one who has to deal with it and he won’t bitch about it.

I guess I’m so incredibly lazy that I try to consolidate the labor into as few trips as possible. But he’s kind of a “one trick pony,” in that if there are three things in front of him that need to get to the kitchen, chances are good that it will take him three trips.

AND, and this REALLY gets to me, there will never be any advance planning on where whatever it is he is carrying is going to go. So if it’s kind of large for our not-so-large kitchen‘s counter space…a pressure cooker, air fryer, Forman grill…he will go GET the item and then just stand in the kitchen, staring at the already crowded counters and pondering (I think) what to do next. He SHOULD BE pondering why he didn’t make sure there was a free space to put the damned thing down BEFORE he picked it up.

I THINK it’s because he worked, for 35+ years, in jobs where there were very strict, do-it-this-way-or-you’ll-probably-die-and-take-a-few-others-with-you, rules. He will willingly follow any list, but it never occurs to him that, since he’s been retired for 15 years, he’s now in charge of MAKING the lists.

But, he’s a smart ass. I read these posts to him and he said, “Well, I won’t be walking past that stuff any more. If I go the other way to the kitchen…through the hall and then the dining room…I won’t be anywhere near your stuff that needs to be moved.” And THAT is why I keep him.

Mine’s issue is moving stuff from point A to point B. It’s like he has no clue he can carry more than one item at a time or he doesn’t have to go one place empty handed. Like taking stuff upstairs. I have to mention that he can take stuff up on his way to the bathroom without killing himself.

Mine’s issue is moving stuff from point A to point B. It’s like he has no clue he can carry more than one item at a time or he doesn’t have to go one place empty handed. Like taking stuff upstairs. I have to mention that he can take stuff up on his way to the bathroom without killing himself.
I always had a pile on the stairs. Always!

Charles and I see and are motivated to address different issues. That’s probably better - more coverage between the two of us. With 3-5 hairy cats, I manually pick up dust bunnies that collect in certain places due to traffic flow and air currents. He makes sure stuff in the sink has water on them, so my doing dishes is easier. He cleans the litter boxes but is untroubled by bits of litter that escape the litter mats - probably because he never walks around barefoot while I always do. Unfortunately, both of us are terrible about leaving piles of crap on every horizontal surface in the house.

Charles and I see and are motivated to address different issues. That’s probably better - more coverage between the two of us. With 3-5 hairy cats, I manually pick up dust bunnies that collect in certain places due to traffic flow and air currents. He makes sure stuff in the sink has water on them, so my doing dishes is easier. He cleans the litter boxes but is untroubled by bits of litter that escape the litter mats - probably because he never walks around barefoot while I always do. Unfortunately, both of us are terrible about leaving piles of crap on every horizontal surface in the house.
As a diabetic, he is not supposed to walk around barefoot. He should only be barefoot in two places, the bed and his bath.

Latest posts

Back