Hello! New to group and looking for advice for revision to DS

Good Morning All! I have great news! I have been approved for the revision to DS. I meet with the Doctor on September 19th to schedule the surgery. I am both nervous and excited, a bit scared but mostly thrilled! A new chapter will begin soon. Thank you all for help and advice! It worked! I will keep everyone posted as move through process.

Good Morning All! I have great news! I have been approved for the revision to DS. I meet with the Doctor on September 19th to schedule the surgery. I am both nervous and excited, a bit scared but mostly thrilled! A new chapter will begin soon. Thank you all for help and advice! It worked! I will keep everyone posted as move through process.

So glad it all worked out with Dr. Belzberg!

If you haven't had the following tests in the last year or two I highly recommend you get them so you can have a pre-DS baseline number:

Copper
Ceruloplasmin
Zinc
Alkaline Phosphatase (and any other bone markers they're willing to give)
A
D
E
K
Total Protein
Albumin
DXA scan (some osteoporosis is common after RNY and DS. It would be great to have a starting level)
The B vitamins wouldn't hurt, but it's very rare we have a problem with those, but at least get B12.

I'm sure they'll give you the INR, CBC, iron and CMP before surgery anyway.

And try to get your A, D and protein levels as high as you can before your surgery date.

You're in good hands with Dr. B. I'm sure you'll be fine. So sad to hear he's leaving Kaiser but glad you made it in under the wire.

I will definitely take this list with me on the 19th. I have to give you some credit on the approval Mark. I appreciate your advice and words of encouragement.

Great news! When you meet Dr. Belzberg, see if he knows if anyone else in SoCal Kaiser is going to provide the DS after he leaves.

Will do. Update... Final follow up with Dr. B and Pre-op are both on 9/19 and surgery is scheduled for 10/1!! WOW! I have no other words... just wow.

Yep, that's what I love about SoCal Kaiser! Don't know too many other HMOs that would give the first WL surgery and, if that didn't do the trick, give you a free revision just by explaining your case to the doctor. No other approvals needed. Just slide your Kaiser card!

No, I'm not a paid spokesperson. Just been at Kaiser for 22 years along with all my family members and we've had lots of stuff and they've always been very good. And I generally loathe Corporate America.

Too bad they have this policy of practically putting their doctors out to pasture once they hit a certain age. I know that's why Dr. Belzberg is leaving. He loves surgery and is going to a new place (North Carolina) that will let him keep practicing what he loves. So, if your in that part of the country, you have an excellent new option!

I think you’re mistaking Belzberg’s seniority and personal influence for Kaiser policy. NorCal Kaiser is a completely different planet - they fight against the DS tooth and nail if your BMI is under 50. And if Belzberg isn’t replaced with an in-house DS surgeon, SoCal will revert to the NorCal model.

I think you’re mistaking Belzberg’s seniority and personal influence for Kaiser policy. NorCal Kaiser is a completely different planet - they fight against the DS tooth and nail if your BMI is under 50. And if Belzberg isn’t replaced with an in-house DS surgeon, SoCal will revert to the NorCal model.

So when I first saw another Kaiser surgeon for WLS in 2009 he asked me which WLS I wanted. I told him the sleeve. He pulled out his calendar and scheduled it right there and then. Then, 6 years later after only losing 30 pounds, I went back to him. He offered to revise me to an RNY and scheduled me again. Then I went home and did some research and decided I wanted the DS so I called the bariatric nurse and told her I wanted to see Belzberg. Made an appointment with him. At the appointment he approved and later that day the scheduler called me and set the date.

My ex smashed up her hand in Tae Kwon Do class. She had a good result after the first hand surgery but likes to play piano and was hoping for a slight improvement in her pinky. She saw the surgeon again. He said she could do another with the hope of getting minor, minor improvement. No approvals needed. Done.

I had a benign kidney cyst which was causing no issues at the time and may never have, but I didn't like the thought of it in there and din't want to take a chance on having a surgery in my 70s if that's when it decided to get too big. Urologist scheduled the surgery and took care of it.

I think Kaiser (and I'm only taking about SoCal) gives their surgeons a lot of latitude. That's what they've told me anyway.

Maybe I'm just charming but I've never been refused any blood, Xray, DXA or anything else I've asked for. And I ask for a lot. Never had to fight a bean counter.

So for now, I'm happy with them and pleased that another one of us will get a DS with Belzberg before he leaves.

I do worry that no one will replace Belzberg. I think he did them just because he loves surgery really enjoyed stretching and learning. So they'll still do revisions to RNY without much hassle, but not DS unless they find another guy like him. Fingers crossed.

If anyone of Belzberg's DS patients need revisions, I wonder if they'll have to send us to Dr. K now...

Latest posts

Back