Got my approval !!

chevtow

Been so excited forgot to post. 11-11-14 will be my surgery date for DS. Now it's crazy time - Getting my ducks in a row for the Christmas season at FedEx and preparing for surgery, it's going to go super fast when concentrating on both things.

I've got my starting vites (thanks to all the vets and their old posts), monthly pill organizer, assorted pre-mixed and unmade protein drinks, support from my wife and kids, and all of you. Thanks for so far…...

10171752_10152407368212792_7836191583833386522_n.jpg

Why do you need to get ready for the busy season? I suspect you will most most or all of it, depending on what your job description is.

I am a contractor, I own and will have at least 5 trucks on the road for Christmas. I'm hoping after 2 weeks to be able to stop at terminal for 1-2 hrs a day in the morning. Think that is realistic? Or will I be managing by phone? No lifting, just talking to drivers and arranging which driver goes where.

I am a contractor, I own and will have at least 5 trucks on the road for Christmas. I'm hoping after 2 weeks to be able to stop at terminal for 1-2 hrs a day in the morning. Think that is realistic? Or will I be managing by phone? No lifting, just talking to drivers and arranging which driver goes where.
It's a YMMV thing. Two weeks out, I would have had to do it from home.

Thx spiky, I have high pain tolerance and generally recover quickly, but I'm making plans for my most reliable driver to double as on site manager in case I'm not up to it. Just never know I guess :)

I'm sort of where you are @chevtow - well kinda. I don't know how long my recovery is going to take - so I've booked six weeks since I work on the rigs. Since I will be at least 1.5 hours drive from the nearest hospital on good roads (and good roads don't exist on dirt roads/ice roads), I've had to book that long off. I can't risk having a medical emergency as I am the medical help out there and the rig would have to shut down if I left (which would mean that I would lose my job).
Are you going to be within a safe distance of a hospital when you work?? Near a toilet (or have a bucket as discussed previously)?

Oh yeah. I'd be at our terminal in Green Bay . Might actually be a nice warm place to take my walks.

It would definitely be tough for you out in the middle of nowhere. Sort of scary too, if a problem came up. Which rigs you on? Canada, N.Dakota?

Eh, depends on how old or young you are. I was 49, didn't bounce back very well at all. Couldn't stand elastic anywhere around me, or anything tight. Which was all my clothes except my nightgown. You seem younger? It's not really the pain threshold, it's an energy thing. You'll be wiped out, literally. Play it by ear. If you have a private bathroom, you're golden. If you have a hike to a communal potty? That would be no good. I enjoy my private bathroom. I could never share again.

You'll do well. I predict you fly through recovery, like most men do. Just don't overdo it. Rest before you're beat.

Remember this: Once you appear back at work, others see you as back to normal. And this is MAJOR SURGERY. You only get one chance to recover right.

Just a thought 4 u......Theres another thread regarding traveling right after a DS....I'm a camper...have an RV, but there is areal cool sealed porto potty about the size of an igloo...just in case, if you have to be on the road??

Latest posts

Back