Ever had a Kidney Stone Risk Panel? Is mine as bad as I think?

WELL!! You are disinvited from our stoner party. No opioid pain killers for YOU, pal.

(great news)
Oh, come on, don't be a hater! I still want to come to the party. I'll bring the spinach and walnut salad...

Seriously, am I just on borrowed time? Or is there a decent chance I'll never get a stone?

Oh, come on, don't be a hater! I still want to come to the party. I'll bring the spinach and walnut salad...

Seriously, am I just on borrowed time? Or is there a decent chance I'll never get a stone?
You know, Mark, stop worrying. Do everything you can to avoid them BUT you need to stop being a worry wart.

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought citric acid and Vitamin C were supposed to be good for preventing stones.

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought citric acid and Vitamin C were supposed to be good for preventing stones.
Not the same thing, and while I take a little vitamin c with my iron for absorption, I don't take any extra because of kidney stones. I've had stones since pre-DS and seem to predisposed to them, and the prescription I take for them is actually a potent potassium citrate. Lots of citrate is good, but hard to get enough with just food/drink, and impossible if you have low enough citrate contributing to stones.

Unless you are having recurring stones, or have had a stone panel and freaked out the dr, I wouldn't sweat it.

If you never had a stone before DS you *probably* have nothing to worry about. Stone formers are genetically different. (Maybe you never knew you are a stone former - there's always the first time.)

For stone formers, Vitamin C intake above 1000k has a direct link to stone formation, as does protein intake > 1 gram per kilo of body weight, as does sodium intake > 2000 mg, as does low calcium intake, low potassium citrate, high oxalate intake, as does SUGAR. (Geez you do NOT wanna be a stone former.)

Then we stone formers go and get a DS and the malabsorbed fat binds with calcium, calcium which was supposed to bind with oxalates, and oxalates end up in kidneys forming stones. And we have reduced the length of the water-absorbing small intestine meaning urine and all the nasty stone forming bits gets concentrated.

As for potassium citrate (not the same as vitamin c) which also binds with oxalates, OTC potassium citrate is not very potent. It would take 10-11 tabs to equal ONE prescription strength tab, and most stone formers need several prescription strength tabs. Please consult University if Chicago urology site for research into beverage alternatives, like Crystal Light Lemonade and diet Sprite/Sierra Mist/7up. These really are a viable alternative.

All my numbers are good (oxalates, urine calcium etc) and yet I started passing stones 9 months post DS. The ONLY thing amiss was low urine volume meaning I was not drinking enough.

Let me hammer this home: the #1 thing you can do to prevent stone formation (in stone formers and especially in DSers) is to drink enough fluids to produce 3.25-3.5 liters of urine in 24 hours - that's about 105 ounces for a woman if you don't sweat a lot. Yes that's a lot and yes you will need to get up at night to pee which is a good thing. But far better than the excrutiating pain from stones.

Some people are predisposed to forming stones and others are not. That's the reason why they don't recommend doing that risk panel on people who haven't already had 2 stones. MOST of the people with numbers like yours never form the stones. They don't know why!

What were
Awesome! Congratulations!
what were you taking? Did your stones dissolve or did u pass them? What size were your stones?

I have never actually had stones. It's just that I had a risk panel that was through the roof. The put me on Urocit SR 3xday. It's definitely improved my numbers a lot.

Latest posts

Back