Need another set of eyes for One Year Lab Results (Cholesterol UP???)

Clematis

Here are my 1 year labs. Overall, they look reasonably ok with some red flags and some cautions.

What have I missed?

First, the week before the blood draw, I had kidney stone removal surgery (lithotripsy) after weeks of hell and was still passing blood in my urine. Could this effect some lab results?

How did my CHOLESTEROL jump from 153 to 195 in six months? I was so excited that it dropped so low after surgery — it had been 300+. I actually don't eat a lot of fat. But could I have eaten too much animal fat just before the blood draw? Yes, I fasted for 12 hours, but I know I digest protein slowly thanks to PPI.

PROTEIN is only 6.2. My protein has always been low — even pre-DS while living on protein-centric Atkins diet I had been 6.2 and never got higher than 6.8. I had protein-shaked up from 6.2 at 3 month labs to 6.6 at six month labs and I confess my protein intake was probably low in the month before the 6.2 result on the one year labs as I had been in Europe without access to shakes. (I still cannot manage more than a few bites of dense protein.) What causes mild hypoproteinemia? Since I have always had low protein levels without any deleterious health effects, could this just be my normal?
ALBUMIN is only 3.5, linked to low protein above.

SODIUM is high at 147 and had been trending upwards since DS. (Might be one of the many contributors to the rash of kidney stones I’ve had since July. Or perhaps it is simply a result of kidneys battered by stones and lithotripsy. Hmm but I was eating my son’s salty sourdough hard pretzels in the week before the lab work.)

FOLATE is high so I have stopped supplementing other than what is in Centrum.

B12 is high at 900 but I assume this won't kill me. I have never supplemented this, other than what is in Centrum.

POTASSIUM is borderline low at 3.8, a drop from 4.6 pre-DS. In the past month, I have been drinking Crystal Light Lemonade daily for kidney stones which has 21 mEq of potassium citrate (a Urocit K tab only has 10 mEq) — roughly equivalent to 2268 mg of potassium (citrate). I hope this will boost my potassium level.

CALCIUM is 8.9, within normal but a drop from the 10.3 it was six months ago. ACTION: I will jump from 6 Citrical Maximum a day to 8 for a daily intake of 2520 mg. (This will also boost D3 by 500 a day.)

CHLORIDE is borderline low at 104. It hasn’t really changed, rather the lab has lowered its upper range from 110 to 105. I know nothing about chloride except it is associated with sodium.

B3/NIACIN is 1.71, still in normal range, but has fallen from 2.55 pre-DS. Hmm could this have something to do with the increase in total cholesterol? ACTION: I will add 500mg daily of Slo-Niacin. Might help the cholesterol level, too.

B6 has fallen to 41.3 from a too-high 210.1 when I briefly took Costco’s Calcium with surprise toxic levels of B vitamins. Is it now trending too low? Should I supplement?

K1 seems to have never been tested. Should I get this tested now or wait until next six month test?

Thoughts?

Attached are PDFs of the XLS files for my lab results as well as the vitamins I take.

(BTW if anyone wants a copy of my XLS files to use as templates for their own data, just let me know. I have formulas in place to add up weekly totals of vites.)

Attachments

• Labs 11.17.16.pdf
    82 KB · Views: 6
  • Vitamins 12.1.16.pdf
    59.1 KB · Views: 5
So this blood draw was taken after weeks of trauma/pain ending with having a kidney stone broken up. I have my doubts your numbers, good and bad, are legit. You know you need to work on protein and the extra calcium is not a bad idea. I think I would just wait till next blood draw.

Thanks @southernlady and @Munchkin

I'm going to try to boost calcium through diet as there are some studies linking supplements with kidney stone formation. So 1850 mg in supplements and I'll try for another 750-1000 in food.

Latest posts

Back