Entry for one of my weirder posts: LAUNDRY

Spiky Bugger

If you are single, living in a no-washer home or avoiding social contact, etc, this might be of assistance. I saw an ad. It is an updated version of the kind of washer my in-laws had, 45 years ago. There were +/-4.5 of us using it…MIL, FIL, MrSue, MiniSue who was an infant, and yours truly. With that many of us, it was a bit of a PITA, but it eliminated MOST trips to a laundromat.

And, I don’t know how many loads of washing you can do for a hundred bucks at a laundromat, but that’s all this thing costs.

It’s more hands-on than a regular washer, less hands-on than doing all your laundry in the kitchen sink.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ktaxon-E...able-Compact-Mini-Washer-White-Blue/866626805

Here is a link to reviews of several small machines. My only issues are:
—we probably had no drain pump, these don’t either, just a “gravity drain.“ I'd probably try to use it in the bathroom with the drain hose in the tub, shower or toilet. More expensive brands have them and I’d probably want that.
—they call some of the spin tubs “spin dry” tubs. There is no dryer function. If you spin too long/too fast, you’ll have some ironing to do. And you DO have to have a place to hang the laundry to dry.
—someone in the video was using a detergent pod. These are such small loads, I think that would waste a lot of money. (We used liquid detergent. My MIL, poor thing, was the perfect target for advertisers. She never said to add “laundry detergent” or even “detergent.” She ALWAYS said something like, “…and now we add the NEW BLUE WISK…”. even if it was a different brand...lol.)

https://perfectlyreviewed.com/best-portable-washing-machines/

A huge market for those are RVers who don’t want to get an actual washer/dryer installed in the closet designed for them. My issue with that thought is you have to put the damned thing somewhere when not in use. So how are you really saving space? In a home/apt, it would be different. You typically aren’t living in 400 sq ft (unless in NYC).

A huge market for those are RVers who don’t want to get an actual washer/dryer installed in the closet designed for them. My issue with that thought is you have to put the damned thing somewhere when not in use. So how are you really saving space? In a home/apt, it would be different. You typically aren’t living in 400 sq ft (unless in NYC).

We also had one of those all-in-one washer-dryer units that were, at one point, used in all the high end Class A RVs. Something like this one:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71tVTrTQBsL._SX679_.jpg

The downside of this type is that you’re just ALWAYS doing laundry. You put the clothes in, and a couple of hours later, you take them out. So “two loads of laundry,“ and they are small loads, means a good four hours. HOWEVER, since it’s one machine and you set it all in advance, you can start a load, go out and run a couple of errands and come home to dry-ish clothes. The dryer is a condensation type. I’d never heard of that either. It gets clothes less and less wet, but never crispy dry. This is how a stand-alone condenser dryer works. The one we had was a combo unit, but this is still how it works:

We also had one of those all-in-one washer-dryer units that were, at one point, used in all the high end Class A RVs. Something like this one:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71tVTrTQBsL._SX679_.jpg

The downside of this type is that you’re just ALWAYS doing laundry. You put the clothes in, and a couple of hours later, you take them out. So “two loads of laundry,“ and they are small loads, means a good four hours. HOWEVER, since it’s one machine and you set it all in advance, you can start a load, go out and run a couple of errands and come home to dry-ish clothes. The dryer is a condensation type. I’d never heard of that either. It gets clothes less and less wet, but never crispy dry. This is how a stand-alone condenser dryer works. The one we had was a combo unit, but this is still how it works:

View attachment 2507
We had a combo unit in our class A, came with it. Splendide makes them. They also make the stackable we have.
I love the stackable but the combo was worthless.

I have the Splendide combo in our RV. It works fine for small loads, if you snag the shirts out before they’re dry and let them hang. I’ve even heard you can use it on the road, if you run the generator. I’m too chicken to try it.

Our usage on long term trips is I do a load or two a couple of times a week to make sure we have enough underwear, sox, pjs, and shirts, and then once every 2-3 weeks we (by which I mean usually Charles) do a laundromat run, where we do 3 loads at once, including towels, sheets, and pants.

I have the Splendide combo in our RV. It works fine for small loads, if you snag the shirts out before they’re dry and let them hang. I’ve even heard you can use it on the road, if you run the generator. I’m too chicken to try it.

Our usage on long term trips is I do a load or two a couple of times a week to make sure we have enough underwear, sox, pjs, and shirts, and then once every 2-3 weeks we (by which I mean usually Charles) do a laundromat run, where we do 3 loads at once, including towels, sheets, and pants.
Our combo stated not to use unless you have the sewer hooked up and open.

Latest posts

Back