Eating After the VSG

He's incredibly, incredibly supportive of me losing weight, but he's borderline Asperger's - change is really hard/scary for him, and he likes his food the way he likes it, and it's immutable. But the idea of doing two separate dinners is anathema to him, too. I had a talk with him last night, and he agreed he'd do whatever I needed and was really supportive - it's just hard for him. He'll come around - he always does, he just needs time to process it all, I think.

He can have HIS food however he wants. YOU can pick around the stuff you should not eat. Separating the beans from the meat and veggies is not difficult for the cook. Eating fajitas without tortillas is also easy.

But you see... fajitas are not AUTHENTIC. We can only have AUTHENTIC Mexican food in this house, lol. I married someone who is an amazing cook and a serious foodie - but as a result, he's very, very, very picky. He'll deal, though. He's actually excited about making the low-carb dinners we picked together for the next two weeks. So fingers crossed he gets used to it quickly. :)

I should have specified - I know that yogurt is awful for me, and won't be eating it post-surgery. :) I was just using it as an example to try to figure out what carbs were more okay than others, and which were worse than others. Obviously carbs from sugar = bad news, so I figured I'd get a good idea of what to stay away from from your responses, which I did. Thanks! :)

So basically - look for 2g of protein for every carb, or if it's the type of item where there's no protein, look for high dietary fiber content? But still count it all as carbs? Hubby is having an absolute shitfit over the idea of me having to only have 40g of carbs a day (trying to reconcile his low-GI diet with my low-carb one is going to be surprisingly complicated, especially since he's under the impression he needs AT LEAST 90g a day of carbs for some reason), but I remind him I'll have a much smaller stomach for a while, and nothing says we have to eat exactly the same thing. He doesn't like the idea of us having different dinners, I think, since he does most of the cooking, heh. He'll deal. ;)
In Australia the carbs listed on the nutrition information label are Net carbs. Fibre is listed separately. So, you can just go by the number of carbs indicated for net carbs. For goods imported from the USA, just subtract the fibre from the carb content to get net carbs. You can also subtract sugar alcohols, but some people do find that they have an impact, on insulin levels, at least.

I've had a pretty good week, eating-wise, I think. We got all the ingredients we needed for a lower-carb week. I've been logging everything into MFP. MFP says in order to lose a pound a week I can eat up to 3,290 calories - but I haven't been getting near that most days. I'm averaging about 2,000ish. I'm not worrying about calories, though - just find it interesting. :) I'm getting there with carbs - hubby and I ended up eating at McDonald's at 1:30 a.m. this morning because we had to make a trip to the ER and neither of us had eaten or was up to cooking when we got home. We both ordered our burgers without the buns, and I got a salad to go with it. The only carbs were actually from the breading on the chicken in the salad - I'm usually a "grilled" girl as opposed to "crispy" chicken, but I had a taste for it last night. Still under 40 carbs yesterday.

What I'm basically doing at this point is easing myself into it. I'm eating what I want to eat out of the healthier groceries we got this time, and weighing/measuring/tracking it. I'm just trying to get a sense of what a portion of something is and what kind of nutrition I'm looking at if I eat the way I want to using better foods. I haven't yet told myself I *can't* have something because it's high carb or whatever, just trying to make better choices on the whole and not worry about the rest too much. My goal is to stay under 125 (total) carbs for now, pre-surgery, but like I said - I'm not denying myself anything.

I've had a pretty good week, eating-wise, I think. We got all the ingredients we needed for a lower-carb week. I've been logging everything into MFP. MFP says in order to lose a pound a week I can eat up to 3,290 calories - but I haven't been getting near that most days. I'm averaging about 2,000ish. I'm not worrying about calories, though - just find it interesting. :) I'm getting there with carbs - hubby and I ended up eating at McDonald's at 1:30 a.m. this morning because we had to make a trip to the ER and neither of us had eaten or was up to cooking when we got home. We both ordered our burgers without the buns, and I got a salad to go with it. The only carbs were actually from the breading on the chicken in the salad - I'm usually a "grilled" girl as opposed to "crispy" chicken, but I had a taste for it last night. Still under 40 carbs yesterday.

What I'm basically doing at this point is easing myself into it. I'm eating what I want to eat out of the healthier groceries we got this time, and weighing/measuring/tracking it. I'm just trying to get a sense of what a portion of something is and what kind of nutrition I'm looking at if I eat the way I want to using better foods. I haven't yet told myself I *can't* have something because it's high carb or whatever, just trying to make better choices on the whole and not worry about the rest too much. My goal is to stay under 125 (total) carbs for now, pre-surgery, but like I said - I'm not denying myself anything.
Sounds like you're doing great! So good that your husband is supporting you, too!

I've always found, with Atkins at least, that the first two weeks were the worst. I really have to be in the right headspace to get through those two weeks, though. After that, it really isn't that hard as long as I remain in ketosis. Killers for me are special occasions, Christmas, vacations, etc. I find it very difficult to get back on track afterwards. Tbh, those kinds of breaks have always been problematic for me with other things too, such as going to gym (back in the day, lol), chiropractic visits, etc. But then I have ADD, so maybe that's got something to do with it!

Anymore I have a very hard time trying to do VLC/ketosis. I like it- but I have a hard time with 'all-or-nothing' thinking.. and ketosis is that for me. One slip and you're out. So... I do lower/low carb.. but I don't rule out anything so long as it's worthy. When I'm feeling most vulnerable, I try to allow myself a few days of eating unlimited protein and fat.. and try hardest to avoid anything processed/sugary. For the most part, if I avoid grains the vast majority of the time, and avoid pure sugar shit, I don't go too far off track. My worst times inevitably follow my most restricted times.. there's a pattern, and I'm trying to break it.

Anymore I have a very hard time trying to do VLC/ketosis. I like it- but I have a hard time with 'all-or-nothing' thinking.. and ketosis is that for me. One slip and you're out. So... I do lower/low carb.. but I don't rule out anything so long as it's worthy. When I'm feeling most vulnerable, I try to allow myself a few days of eating unlimited protein and fat.. and try hardest to avoid anything processed/sugary. For the most part, if I avoid grains the vast majority of the time, and avoid pure sugar shit, I don't go too far off track. My worst times inevitably follow my most restricted times.. there's a pattern, and I'm trying to break it.
Yeah, it's the legacy many (most?) of us have from years of dieting. I'm struggling to decide how to approach this, because of that. For now, I'm following @Elizabeth N.'s advice, but I must admit, I would really like to have a few weeks (at least) of good weight loss again. Hopefully with my short CC I won't have the kind of regain after that kind of loss that I've had in the past.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to even come close to ketosis given my carb counts right now, and I'm okay with that. I'm not trying to really lose a specific amount of weight before surgery or anything - I just want to start getting used to the way I'll be eating (only at larger quantities right now). I may lose a little, but I'd be surprised - my body tends to sit on plateaus at 25s - 325, 425, 525 pounds - and my weight has been fluctuating from 525-535 (depending on time of month) for months now. I'd be shocked to see under 525 without surgical intervention, honestly.

My husband and I are on two totally different programs. Tonight, he ate a turkey burger (he doesn't want another heart attack) and I ate a ribeye (I insist I'm fighting anemia.)

Love it, lol! Funnily enough, I never used to like the fat on meat, but now, I could happily forgo the bacon meat and just eat the fat! That would be a very bad idea, of course, but yeah, as long as the fat is crisp or melt-in-your-mouth, I love it :).

Admin: @southernlady the options at the top of my post (on my iPad) have all turned into squares. I wanted to add a smiley, but couldn't remember which tab it was.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to even come close to ketosis given my carb counts right now, and I'm okay with that. I'm not trying to really lose a specific amount of weight before surgery or anything - I just want to start getting used to the way I'll be eating (only at larger quantities right now). I may lose a little, but I'd be surprised - my body tends to sit on plateaus at 25s - 325, 425, 525 pounds - and my weight has been fluctuating from 525-535 (depending on time of month) for months now. I'd be shocked to see under 525 without surgical intervention, honestly.
I think that's a great approach pre-op. I'm always surprised when I see people trying to eat pre-op as they would post-op, including quantities, to get used to it, or to see if they could do it. It really says nothing at all about what you will be able to eat post-op, with a much smaller tummy. But changing up your pantry, cooking, eating to the kinds of foods you'll need post-op is a great way to go, IMO. It helps you, and especially hubby (if he does the cooking) to adjust while you are feeling well. After surgery, it might be awhile before you feel up to doing shopping or even thinking about diet, etc.

Latest posts

Back