Dry D3 for Normies?

DianaCox

Bad Cop
My daughter (31 y.o.) is about to undergo some medical procedures, and for some reason (but yay!), her doctor tested her VitD levels and she came up very low (I didn't get the number from her yet).

Can I just give her some of my dry D3 50K IU to speed up getting her numbers up? Any idea of the dosage for normies? I'm actually a little surprised she's low - she's blonde and relatively fair-skinned and gets a fair amount of sunshine, as well as not skimping on the dairy.

I have a lot of D3 in my pharmacopeia to share, and I don't want her to use the prescription green oily D2. :)

My D was low pre-surgery. They had me do multi's daily, and 50,000 IU green capsules once per week for 6 weeks. After that, 2k IU/day for maintenance.

My D ran low from 2007 until fall of 2010. I was on the prescription oil based once a week...made mine go from such a low number to just barely 15 in that time. When I switched to dry D3 pre-op (Nov 2010), I did it every day, mine got to mid 50's by surgery (Jan 2011). Then *I* doubled it...and it's great now.

While none of us are doctors, they don't even agree on how best to address that issue: http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/168577/vitamin-choices-diabetes Article written by David Mendosa for diabetics.
Vitamin D2 is typically the supplement form that our doctors prescribe. As recently as 2011 the clinical guideline of the Endocrine Society considered it to be as effective as vitamin D3.

But one of the firmest conclusions and the most striking finding of this new research is that one of these studies found that taking vitamin D2 -- the type that your doctor probably prescribed -- didn’t offer any benefit.

By contrast, they found that people taking vitamin D3 had an 11 percent reduction in mortality from all causes compared with people who didn’t take it. They calculated that about 13 percent of all deaths in the United States can be due to low levels of vitamin D.

These studies show that we still have a lot to learn. But they also show that having a low level of vitamin D in our system is a risk that we don’t have to take.

While the 50K may be too much for a normie LONG TERM, D3 is very much the answer.

My daughter (31 y.o.) is about to undergo some medical procedures, and for some reason (but yay!), her doctor tested her VitD levels and she came up very low (I didn't get the number from her yet).

Can I just give her some of my dry D3 50K IU to speed up getting her numbers up? Any idea of the dosage for normies? I'm actually a little surprised she's low - she's blonde and relatively fair-skinned and gets a fair amount of sunshine, as well as not skimping on the dairy.

I have a lot of D3 in my pharmacopeia to share, and I don't want her to use the prescription green oily D2. :)
My D runs low especially in winter months so I take a 10K gelcap everyday. I just had my pre-op bloodwork 2 weeks ago and while I haven't seen any labs everything came back ok. This tells me it at least wasn't high.

@Terri , you probably already know by now NOT to listen to your surgeon's office when they interpret your labs FOR YOU. You need to have a paper copy of your labs in your hot little hands, to keep and bring home with you. You should KNOW your D level off the top of your head at any moment. Likewise, your PTH and ferritin.

I know you already know this, but your post has me worried that you're trusting your surgeon to just say to you "everything is okay" or "everything is normal". That's what I was told also. But I caught it before THEY did when my ferritin was 9. Also, when my vitamin A tanked, I was the one who figured out that the ADEK's my surgeon's office SOLD ME had no vitamin A in them.

@Terri , you probably already know by now NOT to listen to your surgeon's office when they interpret your labs FOR YOU. You need to have a paper copy of your labs in your hot little hands, to keep and bring home with you. You should KNOW your D level off the top of your head at any moment. Likewise, your PTH and ferritin.

I know you already know this, but your post has me worried that you're trusting your surgeon to just say to you "everything is okay" or "everything is normal". That's what I was told also. But I caught it before THEY did when my ferritin was 9. Also, when my vitamin A tanked, I was the one who figured out that the ADEK's my surgeon's office SOLD ME had no vitamin A in them.
Yes ma'am, I do know. I also have already printed a copy of where we should be and have my spreadsheet ready to start putting numbers into it. I am also stocked and ready to follow Vitalady's regimen as soon as I am post op. I have ordered samples of protein to see what I like post op before ordering a bunch. I have definitely been paying attention and taking notes.:D

I haven't actually seen her since the blood draw. I am not even sure she has them all back yet. I know some results are coming in because she put me on an antibiotic yesterday for a UTI.:eek:

I was just letting Diana know that was what I was taking as a "normie" when my D is low in the winter.

The doctor didn't prescribe it for her. Her D3 was 16. I gave her some of my 50K IU pills and told her to take 3/wk.

Latest posts

Back