Don's Freakout Palace

DonRobbie

I'm a bit late for my 2 year surgiversary (Dec 18). Weight is floating around in the 190-195 range.

Did labs December 30th, got them back last week. I've managed to pull D and K out of deficiency, but have fallen into deficiency in Zinc. I have changed my Zinc and increased the dosage (Supposedly Picolinate is more absorbable that Gluconate). I'm doubling up on Folate because it's slipping into deficiency. Also I still haven't been able to move out of anemia. My TIBC is at least back to normal.

I need to get a Doctor's appointment to ask about the BUN and liver hormones (AST/ALT).

Cramping is still an intermittent problem. Mostly it's in my feet during the 'night'. Walking to the bathroom and back is usually enough to clear it so I can get back to sleep. Been fighting with fatigue. Muscle weakness and numbness in my legs another unwelcome addition to the gripe list. I'm not numb like "I can't feel my legs!" more like after you've run a long way and your muscles feel kind of fat and tingly.

I have been sleeping better. Bought a new CPAP mask and a chin strap. I would have to shave my face to change to a mask that covers my mouth and nose, so this seems to be a reasonable compromise. Usually I'm getting about 7 hours and am up 1-2 times a night, on a good night I'm down for 5 hours and then go back to sleep for another 2-2 1/2 hours. on a bad night I might sleep 3-4 hours then be up every hour and a half or so. There are a lot more good nights than bad now.

Still have trouble seeing my size. I just ordered a sweater and had a freak out moment when I unwrapped it ("Is this a kid's size?). Of course it fit and is , if anything, a little loose.

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Don, your protein is better but sill lower than ideal. 7 is where you need to be. You need to ingest more protein and if needed, add a shake or two.

Georgepds

Sorry to hear about the apnea. Maybe a silly question, but are you sure you still have it?

The reason I ask is that I had it, and wore a mask for months after surgery. Before , if I did not wear it, I'd wake up choking, or horrifically tired during the day

But, a couple of months ago, I tried sleeping without the cpap ( bi pap actually), and no problems.. no choking at night, no horrific sleepiness during the day.

For me , slipping on the mask had become a trigger for time to sleep

Good luck

DonRobbie

Sorry to hear about the apnea. Maybe a silly question, but are you sure you still have it?

The reason I ask is that I had it, and wore a mask for months after surgery. Before , if I did not wear it, I'd wake up choking, or horrifically tired during the day

But, a couple of months ago, I tried sleeping without the cpap ( bi pap actually), and no problems.. no choking at night, no horrific sleepiness during the day.

Good luck
I had stopped using my CPAP when I got down to 200 lbs because I got tired of trying to adjust the pressure and I thought I was fine without it. When I got Covid, we discovered I was going hypoxic while I was sleeping. I restarted the CPAP and since my weight has been fairly steady after a few nights of trial and error I haven't had to fiddle with it. It's not a night and day difference like when I first started CPAP preop but it definitely helps.

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member

Good luck
Not every DS patient with apnea is resolved. All it did for my husband (who is 10 years out last month) is keep his settings much lower.