Don's Freakout Palace

DonRobbie

11 Months postop
185.0 pounds

Cold weather is definitely a struggle. We had a couple days with below zero wind chills and temps in the single digits and teens overnight and I thought I was never going to get warm. The Carhartt Arctic coat I bought in anticipation of the weather was a disappointment, it added a lot of bulk but not a lot of warmth versus my usual jacket. Plus it's a Carhartt so with the double team of being super stiff and the balky zipper they love zipping up can really only be started when you are standing up (ie already out in the cold with an unzipped coat). Gloves are another problem area, bought a smaller size of my go to cold weather work gloves and my fingers were frozen all night so that's another thing I'll have to try to sort. Discovered Darn Tough socks, the extra cushion socks are amazing, so it wasn't all bad.

For good and ill I seem to have lot less difficulty with food. I can do pizza now. Still isn't something I want every day and with the restriction it's not the same experience as preop (working down the equivalent of a slice over a couple hours versus preop where I might put away half a pie in that time). But it's kinda nice to not feel locked out. It's better for my mental state and my food choices if I feel like I could have it but choose not to versus feeling like I am not allowed.

VItamins are kind of a pain. It seems like several will run out at the same time which gets annoying. We can swing them but especially while trying to find clothes that work the constant drip of $ gets a bit tiresome. Foot cramping (and muscle cramps in general) seem to be making a comeback so I'm going to try going back to the last brand of magnesium Malate I was taking.

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I'm so glad you eat pizza, doesn't that feel good. and you are looking so slender! but I hear you on the cold - when I was a size 4 the first time I took a trip to Florida and about froze to death in the air conditioning!

Georgepds

Re vitamins... thank goodness for Amazon... only way I can keep up.. only the calcium chews come from elsewhere.. and they are on autopilot

Re pizza.. had a roadside slice of pappa ginos pepperoni on the way home from a family reunion.. split it with my wife in the car.. it was delicious. It's been about 2 years since I had a taste... these days splitting a slice will do me.

Don't know about you, but the VSG restrictive part really puts a lid on what I can eat at one sitting. On vacation recently, I just gave up ordering full meals. I'd order soup, and have a bite of whatever my wife ordered. If I ordered an entre it would just go to waste,

DonRobbie

Photobucket is being stupid so I'll have to edit in the picture later.

12 months
185.8 lbs

Not sure entirely how to feel a year out. It's been a bumpy ride at some points but I have gotten off so easy on complications so far. I have days when I wonder what I was thinking and days when I wish I had done this 10 years sooner. I'm a little disappointed with my weight loss but I am exactly at my preop goal. I guess we always want another 10 pounds. I'm still shrinking which is kinda strange since the scale has been bouncing around in a range for a couple months. I've gone done a couple ring sizes and the one I am wearing now is pretty loose most days. Have went from a 50 inch waist to a 34 and probably should be in a 32. Right now I'm just wearing a belt and pulling my drawers up as needed.

My body still kinda freaks me out on a regular basis with all the blood vessels and bones and ligaments and "inside stuff" I can see now. I also regularly freak out when I get something new in the mail and take it out of the package"I'll never fit in that, it looks like a kid's clothes" and then I put it on and it fits. Happens over and over.

Going on this journey has changed me in some ways but I'm still the same person with a lot of the same failings with food that I had preop. I still have work to do so the journey is not close to done for me.

Last edited:

Webmommy

Photobucket is being stupid so I'll have to edit in the picture later.

12 months
185.8 lbs

Not sure entirely how to feel a year out. It's been a bumpy ride at some points but I have gotten off so easy on complications so far. I have days when I wonder what I was thinking and days when I wish I had done this 10 years sooner. I'm a little disappointed with my weight loss but I am exactly at my preop goal. I guess we always want another 10 pounds. I'm still shrinking which is kinda strange since the scale has been bouncing around in a range for a couple months. I've gone done a couple ring sizes and the one I am wearing now is pretty loose most days. Have went from a 50 inch waist to a 34 and probably should be in a 32. Right now I'm just wearing a belt and pulling my drawers up as needed.

My body still kinda freaks me out on a regular basis with all the blood vessels and bones and ligaments and "inside stuff" I can see now. I also regularly freak out when I get something new in the mail and take it out of the package"I'll never fit in that, it looks like a kid's clothes" and then I put it on and it fits. Happens over and over.

Going on this journey has changed me in some ways but I'm still the same person with a lot of the same failings with food that I had preop. I still have work to do so the journey is not close to done for me.
You reached your goal in a year's time and you still have another year in the magic window. You're doing GREAT!

Last edited:

JackieOnLine

Staff member
My body still kinda freaks me out on a regular basis with all the blood vessels and bones and ligaments and "inside stuff" I can see now. I also regularly freak out when I get something new in the mail and take it out of the package"I'll never fit in that, it looks like a kid's clothes" and then I put it on and it fits. Happens over and over
it just takes more time to adjust - the brain can't keep up. Your progress has been fantastic!

DonRobbie

13 months
181 pounds

I'm late doing my 13 month update. Still plugging along. Been trying to cut down on my carb intake and the weight is slowly coming off again. Changed medical plans so I've been waiting for money to build up in my HSA for labs, I'll need to get them done soon. Wife keeps thinking I look yellow so probably need to check my liver numbers too. Seem to have settled into an uneasy peace with the 'roids. Bowels alternate between a day of almost no motion in the ocean and then a day of going every hour or so. I have taken to adding a bit of olive oil to my eggs in the morning which had things back to normal for a week or so but now just seems to keep the worst at bay.

Eating is kinda odd. Stuff that used to work well doesn't now. Early in my day I can eat more but later on I have very little room before I get overfull. Fighting a bit with fatigue still, trying to keep out of the carb doom loop ( I get really sleepy at work so I eat carbs to stay awake which works for half an hour to an hour but then I sugar crash and have to get another hit).

Did another wardrobe purge. All the 34 pants went into storage. Most of the socks went too. I'm wearing wool socks constantly now as I'm usually freezing. Once of my "someday" projects is to find a good pair of warm slippers that will work with my duck feet.

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I get really sleepy at work so I eat carbs to stay awake which works for half an hour to an hour but then I sugar crash and have to get another hit
I never get the carb/sugar "rush", I ONLY get tired from sugar.

but I get the cycle, thing, sugar makes me crave more in about 30 minutes. also, salt and then sugar and then salt.

but, WOW, you are looking light-weight Don!

Settledownnow

It looks like your body composition is changing. You look very different from the Dec pic. You have more skin in the Dec pic than in this one. Or is it because one arm is up?

Either way, good going!