Dehydration

stanh

I'm disappointed in myself right now...The last 2 days have been busy for me, and I haven't had time to drink my 64+ ounces of water...I feel it today.

For me, a symptom of dehydration has always been that my eyes are dry. Today - guess what?
Yesterday it took me from 9am until 4pm to drink 24 ounces, which really put me behind the 8 ball. So today, I am trying to force water...Finished 32 ounces by 11am, plus 12 ounces of coffee (that might be counterproductive..) Now I need to keep going. I am determined to get on top of the hydration issue, as I have no time to go to an ER.

Just venting and kicking myself in the butt.....

I also want to add that 64 oz is a MINIMUM so work up to more. I shoot for 120 oz a day but I count my coffee and tea. They are not diuretic IF you are used to them every day.

Supposedly, we are more prone to kidney stones after surgery. This is another good reason to drink water, at least for me. Passing two were enough for me.

I can now do over 100 ounces I noticed I feel best on a workout day with 150 ounces of non-carbonated fluids. I can not do poweraid or gatorade and have had to do Pedialyte- the worst tasting crap on the planet.

Hope you can get it back up there and keep it there soon.

IMO if you miss 2 days of not reaching a water goal and you are already feeling like crap, you probably are not drinking enough on a reg basis. IME the faster I get dehydrated is a signal I need to drink more each day. I have a sweet spot it took me a long time to find.

probably it goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, notice what color your urine is - you want almost clear, or light yellow. NOT like apple juice, way too dark.

It's also important to remember that simply drinking fluids once dehydrated doesn't instantly restore one to normal hydration status. I used to know the formula, forget it now, but it's something like 1/2 the volume of fluid in to a dehydrated person in an hour goes to simply cleaning up the metabolic wastes we produce, and to areas of need the body temporarily shut off during the "hydration crisis" (flushing the kidneys,etc). The body is amazing in it's ability to ration provided nutrients as needed to keep us going during shortages. Sooooo it may actually take someone 12-18 hours before they can truly be rehydrated once they've been dehydrated, even if they're now pounding fluids. They have to take in the current needs PLUS the amount needed to get themselves out of dehydration. Saying it poorly, but the long and short of it is DON'T LET YOURSELF GET DEHYDRATED. It's much more work trying to catch up on fluids than to just stay hydrated to begin with.

Way, way, way back in my Weight Watcher days a lecturer once told us how the body metabolized stored fat. That was in the 1970's, and all we knew back then was about kidneys. Early post-DS, I googled the topic again and discovered what I already suspected. The liver and kidneys are taxed during weight loss. Keeping them washed out by drinking plenty of water takes on a whole new meaning during the active weight loss phase. It also hastens weight loss to drink more.

I'm also not worried about kidney stones. The reason is they don't run in either side of my family, but more importantly, I don't worry about something until it happens. IF and WHEN I get kidney stones, I won't freak out either. I will wait and see what they consist of before changing any of my supplements like calcium.

Latest posts

Back