My Intro

Doctorblue

Hello everyone! I’ve spent somr time here as a lurker. I went back to the formation of this board and have been reading posts backwards from the oldest to the newest. So, figured it was time to introduce myself.

I’ve been a chronic dieter/obese person for decades. I’ve done all the fad diets. I’ve lost 100s of pounds (and regained them over my lifetime). I had a Lapband probably about 15 years ago. Six years ago I had a complication that necessitated the removal of the band. At that time I converted to the VSG (both the band and the VSG were self-pay . Lost the weight. Life happened. Gained the weight back.

I had always been fearful of the RNY, because the thought of rearranging my insides terrified me. I finally got over that. So, now I’m trying to decide if the DS is right for me.

I’ve always been bad about taking pills. I have finally forced myself into the habit of taking a multi and calcium thrice daily (multi once a day, calcium twice a day). So, now that I know I could adhere to the strict vitamin regimen, that’s one more point on the DS’s side.

I’m a sugar addict. I don’t usually drink it (I’m a water 99% of the time person). I can chow down on some chocolate and ice cream though.

I’m also scared of osteoporosis, as I had a hip problem as a child that I was told would cause arthritis in my future. That, plus tons of sprained ankles and a few broken bones make me fearful of what the DS might do to my bone structure.

I’m also fearful of this potentially being my third WLS and why I haven’t been successful before. I’ve determined I should probably get into some type of therapy to address any of those type of issues that might be the reason for my setbacks.

I submitted my information to Dr. Ayoola for insurance purposes. I’ve talked briefly to my insurance company, and I’m pretty sure there are Bariatric exclusions, but I’m waiting to get an official denial letter I guess. I’ve been trying for two weeks now to get my Evidence of Coverage (talking both to the HR department at my husband’s job, where my insurance is through, and also to the insurance company). Neither have been helpful and I’m not sure what to do other than keep calling back and talking to a different person until I find someone who knows what they’re doing

I did get an estimated cash pay amount from Dr. Ayoola’s office. I’m afraid that is not in my budget. I’m hoping DianaCox or Larra might be able to help me fight the insurance battle if the time comes. If I’m unable to use Dr. Ayoola, my second choice would be Dr. Esquerra.

Thank you to all for the knowledge you’ve provided on this board as I’ve lurked. It’s been most helpful.

I’m a sugar addict.
I hear that - it is a very real thing and I am currently struggling with a setback in this area.
I think it's appalling how much sugar is in all the processed foods many of us eat and easy to underestimate how bad for us it is.

Welcome. I know the feelings of inadequacy multiple weight loss surgeries can trigger. I had the RNY in 2005 and a revision to the DS in 2012. I have lost 200 lbs from my highest weight. Unfortunately I have never achieved my goal weight. i do know that I made the right decision in getting the DS. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey.

Hi

Re"I’ve been trying for two weeks now to get my Evidence of Coverage (talking both to the HR department at my husband’s job, where my insurance is through, and also to the insurance company). Neither have been helpful and I’m not sure what to do other than keep calling back "

One thing to do is call the state attorney general office and file a complaint (there is often a consumer division). Let's the b$@!s know you can kick back.

Well, that and it could be just lost in the shuffle, a notification of complaint by the state attorneys office to some insurance company muckety muck might dislodge the paperwork

How long ago was the vsg? There is evidence that the conversion to DS works as well , at the end of some years, as those who had it all done at once. IIRC, the average time for the revision was ~2 years

Last edited:
Welcome! You are intelligent and well spoken. I am sure the DS would be a good choice for you. Best real results long term too.

So far, all you have had just boils down to another diet with a smaller stomach. The DS is a whole different kettle of fish. Malabsorbtion is the game changer. A standard proximal RNY doesn't bypass enough. The body adapts at around the 2yr mark and not coincidentally, that's when the regain begins for many. The DS bypasses so much that the body can't adapt completely.

Keep reading and doing your due diligence. Learn as much as your can!

If you do have to pay out of pocket, I recommend Dr Wilhelmy in Mexicali. For what it’s worth: Wilhelmy did my virgin DS and I’ve had various scans and -scopes since in the US and every dr always compliments his work.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for the warm welcome! I feel like I know some of you already since reading through most of the prior threads.

I was finally able to get ahold of my EoC (although it’s called something different, or else I got the wrong booklet, lol). I made a stupid mistake thar might have cost me my insurance coverage (see my other recent post). I mean, it wouldn’t have really cost me, as if it was a mistake, I’m sure it would have been caught eventually. I went from an extreme high to an extreme low in a matter of seconds. So frustrating!

Latest posts

Back